New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Oneida Lake concerns:  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Stagger Lee

• IceShanty Rookie
Oneida Lake concerns:
« on: Jan 07, 2014, 04:22 PM »
LOVE Oneida Lake! Over the years fishing this lake , it is hard not to gain a respect not only for the lake itself....but the other fisherman I have met over the years . I don't want to sound like a preacher .so I am not gonna harp on the subject..but think this is important. I have seen a number of anglers leave a spot on the lake..and leave garbage, and the undesirable species they have caught...mainly Burbot,pickerel and white perch  an occasional sheepy ..just want to say that I feel it is a matter of lake ethics and very unnecessary to do this. The biology of the lake is important...these species help keep a sense of balance in the big O!They are the reason for a great fishery. I guess what I am trying to say is put em back!! It is responsible and respectful! Thanks !

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
Re: Oneida Lake concerns:
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2014, 04:29 PM »
That's good practice where ever we fish, and advice that never hurts to hear again.

OneidaAngler

« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2014, 04:42 PM »
I agree with most of what you are saying. I understand the burbot part but, sheepshead and white perch do not belong in Oneida Lake as they are invasive species. The yellow perch population has dropped alot since the white perch have entered the lake. I keep white perch as they make great fertilizer.  ;D In my opinion sheepshead do not do much damage so I let them go. If your going to "weed out" the invasives at least take them home and dispose of them properly. And garbage left on the lake is very intolerable  :nono: . I'm one of those guys who will take the time to pick up somebody else's mess. I'm the kind of guy that will also say something to the dirtbags and if the situation is not resolved, I have DEC on the cellphone. I don't like to rat somebody out but what they do wrong gives every icefisherman a bad reputation. It is not fair that we lose our access points and priviledges because of few morons. End of rant. 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2014, 05:59 PM »

white perch are a virus just like people who leave garbage on the ice, they will upset the balance  , 

Offline skowalski250

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2014, 06:35 PM »
I hate it when people try and weed out the fish and leave them on the ice. If you are not going to use it put it back or at least take them home. OR to the local food kitchen to help feed people in need!

Offline Stagger Lee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2014, 07:06 PM »
IMHO  something that would help the yellow perch numbers would be lowering the daily limits...although some may disagree it is a valid point. As far as the people that leave garbage out on that or any lake ...I have no respect for them. Glad to see some other input on this subject though. Q: Anyone catching quality Northerns out of Oneida anymore? Been a long time since I have

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2014, 07:21 PM »
Not for nothin but i fished Onieda for the first time last feb. ( big bay) jigging for bluegills i caught 7 pickeral what a pain in the rooster those things are they cant be good for the panfish populations

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2014, 08:01 PM »

there is no need to lower the limit there isn't a problem with the population of yellows , but over population of whites will be trouble 

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2014, 08:21 PM »
I've heard white perch are decent eating. I've never tried it so I can't vouch. Fertilizer is a good idea though. My peppers would like that

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2014, 10:08 PM »
I wait until my Whiteys are frozen, than I throw them off your Fish Trap Stagger Lee ;D
We had a great bite on Caz tonight, huh?

AW

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2014, 10:18 PM »
I will agree with Freddy on this matter...if anyone knows the history of the lakes invasive species cycle...it's F&R ;)

AW

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2014, 10:31 PM »
Anyone know of a good spot for white perch from the ice?  I'd love help put a small dent in the white perch population, they're tasty!

tightwad

« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2014, 03:04 AM »
20 years ago it was nothing to see piles of burbot on the ice on Oneida now the population is very low, silver bass white perch, pickerel etc are over populated defiantly in the lake.I believe they should be disposed of properly the garbage you see on the ice is uncalled for the people that leave garbage on the ice are GARBAGE and should be disposed of properly ;D.My main concern on Oneida is pike hogs, perch hogs people that take more than they should of walleyes and perch. I am not targeting anyone but the people that take more than there limits are the first people that complain about the population of these species we all need to respect this fishery and all other fisheries this sport has grown tremendously and I hope future anglers don't pick up bad habits that others teach.Done venting :%$#!:

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2014, 04:13 AM »
Anyone know of a good spot for white perch from the ice?  I'd love help put a small dent in the white perch population, they're tasty!
any where on the far east end of the lake
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:51 AM »
Thanks HT.  I haven't fished the east end of the lake, hard water and open water.  I'm on the west end primarily but haven't really run into a lot of white perch.  If there are as many as you guys have stated, have any of you guys gone out on the ice and have your catch of white perch far outnumber the yellows?  I would imagine that would be annoying for those of you who consider it a trash/invasive fish.

I wouldn't mind hitting one of those schools, if even by accident.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:11 AM »
Thanks HT.  I haven't fished the east end of the lake, hard water and open water.  I'm on the west end primarily but haven't really run into a lot of white perch.  If there are as many as you guys have stated, have any of you guys gone out on the ice and have your catch of white perch far outnumber the yellows?  I would imagine that would be annoying for those of you who consider it a trash/invasive fish.

Try north bay (Edgewater, north east corner of the lake) and head out towards lewis point (deeper water).  I've got into huge schools of them out there, and big fish too.  There fun when the walleye and yellows aren't hitting.

In open water try blind island (buoy 113) with a Dixie spinner and worm in the spring.  They spawn off from there and you can't keep them off your hook.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:21 AM »
Try north bay (Edgewater, north east corner of the lake) and head out towards lewis point (deeper water).  I've got into huge schools of them out there, and big fish too.  There fun when the walleye and yellows aren't hitting.

In open water try blind island (buoy 113) with a Dixie spinner and worm in the spring.  They spawn off from there and you can't keep them off your hook.

Great info Otis!  Thanks.  I guess I'll have to try the east end of the lake this year.  I've caught good numbers of them in Maple Bay in late spring, but that's only once or twice a year.  This should definitely increase my chances.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2014, 09:45 AM »

they haven't migrated in huge no. west yet, the east end has plenty  but we don't start looking for them yet , we are not even on the lake until the first week in Jan. normally, we shoot at them a little later in the season , you will know when you find them your graph will look like a X-Mas tree  ;)

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:46 PM »
they haven't migrated in huge no. west yet, the east end has plenty  but we don't start looking for them yet , we are not even on the lake until the first week in Jan. normally, we shoot at them a little later in the season , you will know when you find them your graph will look like a X-Mas tree ;)
With all the decorations ! ;D

Offline icecutter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:20 PM »
They are not the easiest thing in the world to catch either, at least in my opinion. Once my flasher is lit up with those things, the only way to get rid of them is to move. They'll hang there for hours it seems

Offline iceman1603

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:28 PM »

Fished Lewis point last week and caught 13 whites and most were in the 10-12" range.  Couple were bigger..   And I caught 0 yellows that morning......
Only the chosen few will walk on water.

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:59 PM »
Ill take a pile of white perch also, they fry up as well as anything else...not sure why some fish get such a stigma

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2014, 03:46 PM »
They are not the easiest thing in the world to catch either, at least in my opinion. Once my flasher is lit up with those things, the only way to get rid of them is to move. They'll hang there for hours it seems

takes a little practice , if you look at them their mouths are a little smaller and have a tendency to push up on your jig , work them slow and fish them more like crapes hope this helps , once you get them in rhythm you will smok-em

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.