New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: EYES  (Read 2057 times)

Offline FellThru82

• Team IceShanty Regular
EYES
« on: Dec 04, 2012, 05:58 PM »
what is the best depth do you think to catch a lot of wall eyes at?  I usually have luck at about 20 or so feet of water.  and near drop offs
TEAMHACKSHACK

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
Re: EYES
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2012, 06:16 PM »
It depends on the lake but I found 90% of my eyes in 12-18 FOW.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2012, 09:26 PM »
Most of my eyes are caught between 22 and 34 fow.

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2012, 10:08 PM »
18-24 foot in my area.....
Budweiser pro staff

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2012, 07:23 AM »
Humps or holes, some type of structure,Even in winter walleyes cruise the shallows lookin for bait.They start to stack up near were they spawn,usually in a river flow coming into a lake

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2012, 08:37 AM »

what i found about eyes is, they aren't hard to find it's finding the ones that want to play i'm the guy that will get up and leave fish to find some that like to have dinner with me , check structure first but don't think for one minute that they don't hang out on the flats either , where ever you fish you need to try and understand them , but i'm old and a little senile

Offline Stagger Lee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2012, 12:58 PM »
I like spots where there is a sharp drop and consistency of the bottom in the drop zone ...12 fow that drops to16-20 , fish right on the transition point...sometimes to find it....but worth it!

onice2013

« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2012, 07:31 PM »
I like the spots I caught them during open water. Ice fishing is much tougher for walleye. I keep reading here but never have much luck with them ice fishing. Maybe if we get a normal season with enough ice, I will find out which summer spots are best.I  usually  setup tips and jig the same depths 20 to 40 fow. But I would stay shallow of flats and try setting up in  shallows 12fow  and less  try predrilled holes along first shoreline dropoffs and hope i'm near some weedbeds or sunken tree boulders etc.. do this before sunset. simple rig splitshot size hook to bait . small shiners #8 hook lazer point  medium shiners #6 hook Large shiner # 4 hook for leader 3 to 4 ft. of 8lb. flourocarbon and one small split shot enough wt. to keep the bait down  And make as little noise as possible bring beer and be patient   :tipup:

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2012, 07:34 PM »

just my thought they are easier through the ice

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2012, 07:39 PM »
Shallow at night anywhere from 10  FOW to 2 FOW. Tip Ups with minnows and no walking around noise puts the fish deep and keep lights off too. During the day I fish breaks and humps. Fish the breaks from the top to bottom and even out into basin a ways. Fish all the water column from under the ice to the bottom. Key to any fishing is finding a food source and structure to hold the fish. Even a Xmas tree size patch of green weeds will hold fish in winter. This is always why one guy catches while his buddy 10 ft away doesn't. It isn't lures, Bait or technique its a subtle structure change or depth change. Simply pay close attention to details as you fish.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2012, 07:48 PM »
Shallow at night anywhere from 10  FOW to 2 FOW. Tip Ups with minnows and no walking around noise puts the fish deep and keep lights off too. During the day I fish breaks and humps. Fish the breaks from the top to bottom and even out into basin a ways. Fish all the water column from under the ice to the bottom. Key to any fishing is finding a food source and structure to hold the fish. Even a Xmas tree size patch of green weeds will hold fish in winter. This is always why one guy catches while his buddy 10 ft away doesn't. It isn't lures, Bait or technique its a subtle structure change or depth change. Simply pay close attention to details as you fish.

O really  ;D

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2012, 07:51 PM »
yeah really! ;D

onice2013

« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2012, 08:04 PM »
All I need is a good ice season and time on the ice.. I will be happy to show off some pics ;D

Offline BROOKIEGILLY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2012, 08:12 PM »
I seem to do well in the fow they are hitting in dumber the better I don't do well with smart fish

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2012, 08:26 PM »
One lake that I fish I do good in a big shallow bay that has a mix of a sandy/muck bottom that is really weedy. I look for the open pockets and do good in 5 to 8 feet of water. I mark my good holes with a gps and use them over and over and they seem to produce most of the time. Its all about finding the spot on the spot for me. When you do find them don't let people see what you are catching. Where I live if people know you are getting walleyes you can bet it will turn into a small city and the fish will be gone. Look where others are not fishing. Don't make noise and keep your lights off as much as possible.

onice2013

« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2012, 08:35 PM »
yes gps is my next toy.. What is the best for less on those GPS devices? Are there any hidden accessary fees for fishing maps and upgrades? I hate the TOM TOM I bought for a hundred bucks on amzn a couple years ago.. free lifetime maps.. all that thing does is keep reminding me to log online to upgrade my maps.. and than at start, i got to press license agreement.. I do not recommend tom tom VIA 1505 to anyone .very annoying to use and not enough features to keep it simple.

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2012, 02:09 AM »
I just use the Navionics lake maps app on my smart phone. Cost was like $15 for the app and it has the lake maps for most places I fish. Down side is that it eats your phone battery pretty fast. So I make sure I bring a extra battery with and or a extra flasher battery with a charger. Also helps to shut the app down when you don't need it running. Its a really cheap way to have lake maps and a gps. It works pretty good. I love using it to find new spots to fish and getting to spots that I caught fish at before. If you have a smart phone you should look into this app. Just be sure it has the lakes that you like to fish before you buy it.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2012, 04:52 AM »
All I need is a good ice season and time on the ice.. I will be happy to show off some pics ;D

we love to see pics never get enough of that

Offline joey

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Cold Water Curl!!!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2012, 05:08 AM »
Time of year+time of day = 4ft-80ft munus of course the 6-8ft I raise them off the bottom =....... yep thats right sometimes I walk out there and they are 2-4ft above the ice level.

Offline dfauverii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2012, 05:25 AM »
Tonight the three i caught were in somewhere around 1 fow.  But that's open water.  Through the ice usually 4-8 fow at night then during the day 30-45.  Get quite a few while jigging perch just by chance. 
You can lead a man to water but you can't make him catch fish.

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2012, 07:49 AM »
Time of year+time of day = 4ft-80ft munus of course the 6-8ft I raise them off the bottom =....... yep thats right sometimes I walk out there and they are 2-4ft above the ice level.

Ok Joey I love you like a little sister but you just screwed me up with what you wrote ?
Not that I need help but if i don't understand it there aint no way a newbie will.  Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet.

Offline joey

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Cold Water Curl!!!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2012, 08:35 AM »

Ok Joey I love you like a little sister but you just screwed me up with what you wrote ?
Not that I need help but if i don't understand it there aint no way a newbie will.  Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet.

Haha, I'm just transcribing what Lord Vexilar tells me. He never lies. I swear on life of of all 5 tipups that some people surround me with at times that I've seen walleye hover 2-4 ft above the ice. One actually tried to bite through my tranducer wire when I wasn't looking. No code of ethics whatsoever! Dont' even get me started about Crappie...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2012, 08:45 AM »

well thats a new one to me , didn't know eyes could fly and live out of water  ;)

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2012, 11:18 AM »

well thats a new one to me , didn't know eyes could fly and live out of water  ;)
Couldnt have said it better lol. The only fish I have seen above the ice was frozen and laying on top.

Offline joey

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Cold Water Curl!!!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2012, 12:03 PM »
Yep, they fly up here. Next week In-Fisherman's filming Critical Concepts for unpredictable airborne walleye. I think they are using some kind of "common sense" rig to catch them...

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2012, 04:43 PM »
Yep, they fly up here. Next week In-Fisherman's filming Critical Concepts for unpredictable airborne walleye. I think they are using some kind of "common sense" rig to catch them...

Alright, that right there is funny, I don't care who you are that is straight up funny stuff. ;D

Offline FellThru82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2012, 05:07 PM »

those are some very nice fish!!  thanks for all your replies!!  hopefully we get some ice so I can try out these suggestions
TEAMHACKSHACK

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 06, 2012, 05:51 PM »
I usually catch my eyes in the freezer about 6 inches in and to the left lol
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline EvanW86

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fresh hardwater fish. the best
« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2012, 07:01 PM »
I usually catch my eyes in the freezer about 6 inches in and to the left lol
i usally find mine drowned in some good batter/breading and floating in peanut oil
lol :tipup: :icefish: :icefish:
Just another day on the ice!!!

Offline Toxic fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Www.teambrotherdads.com
« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2012, 07:57 PM »
With these new techniques I just learned here I am bringing a baseball bat and take batting practice by your guys holes!!!!lol that is funny  >:(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.