New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: spring bobbers  (Read 1832 times)

Offline 12icashdollar

• Team IceShanty Regular
spring bobbers
« on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:35 PM »
was fishin the harbor the other day and Saw fish on the cam but they wouldn't hit till i took the spring bobber off it seemed that they wanted the bait to vibrate and the spring bobber killed the action just wondering if anyone else had this prob before and what to do thanks

Offline Windknots

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: spring bobbers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2011, 09:05 PM »
I dont like how the spring bobber clogs with ice.  I'm taking mine off.  It hasn't made me catch any more fish, so I'll likely take it off.  I think the spring may affect the vibration some, but its been more of a pain clogging up with ice.

adam2000

« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2011, 04:17 PM »
Put it in your mouth takes 1 second to clear ice
thats what she said

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2011, 04:29 PM »
Many of us years ago use to fish with a 3/8" or 1/2" diameter plastic bobber small enough to sink with the weight of your jigs and line.  We would suspend the bobber just under the water surface and would roll it back and forth.  Once you got a steady roll going a fish bite would change the rhythm or make the roll look different and you would yank.  Really worked well unless you wanted to fish in the wind and snow, then you could not see the roll very good.  

Changed to a noddle rod for a very short couple of days and gave that up when I lost a lot of fish because the hook wasn't set.  Maybe I didn't have the right flexibility but my noddle rod didn't have any back bone.  

Finalized on the spring bobber about 5 years ago and can I catch fish.  Not bragging but I can sense a bite almost without the spring moving.  Best strike sensor I ever used.

As for the ice in the eye-let, I agree to put it in my mouth and blow hot air, the ice goes away almost instantly.  What's a little lake water or fish juice!

Perch Chacer
Keep on hauling  

Offline Strike_Zone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2011, 05:14 PM »

I like using a leaf spring off a 57 Chevy for a strike indicator. If a fish can make it move, then it's worth setting the hook.   
"Never Open a Can of Worms Unless You Plan to go Fishing".
    "If Ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people"?
  "Old Age is like Underware it Creeps up on You".
  "It is what it is" because "it aint what it is".
  "Some people do, some don't, some will and some won't". It's your call and only your call.

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2011, 05:28 PM »
haha. You better rope for fishing line if a fish can move that spring

Offline jiggin jeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "drillin holes & jiggin poles"
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2011, 07:16 PM »
I fish with both i do like the fact just the slightest movement can been seen, but i have some "noodle"i have 2 h.t icelander pro ul 24in  rods that i have no trouble setting the hook .depends on the day and if im in my shanty or just outside in the wind.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2011, 08:05 PM »
spring bobbers have deff helped me catch more fish...sometimes,sometimes i think the spring is to lite.i have 2 st. croix premier UL 1 with a spring and 1 without.i used to use an ht spring tip but i hated how they would ice up then i found these other spring bobbers that have huge eyes so they don't ice up as bad.so far pretty happy with my setup

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2011, 08:38 PM »
spring bobbers have deff helped me catch more fish...sometimes,sometimes i think the spring is to lite.i have 2 st. croix premier UL 1 with a spring and 1 without.i used to use an ht spring tip but i hated how they would ice up then i found these other spring bobbers that have huge eyes so they don't ice up as bad.so far pretty happy with my setup
Fiskas and other European style strike indicators are fully adjustable to the weight of your jig/bait !   The indicators you get from Frabill, St.Croix, HT and the other big name companies are basically junk !
PLASTICS ARE FANTASTIC  !!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2011, 09:01 PM »
Fiskas and other European style strike indicators are fully adjustable to the weight of your jig/bait !   The indicators you get from Frabill, St.Croix, HT and the other big name companies are basically junk !
the 1 i'm using now is sweet,i couldn't tell you what brand it is but it wasn't cheap.the ht spring bobber i had was adjustable too but i didn't like how small the eyelet was and i do agree it was junk

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2011, 09:08 PM »
the 1 i'm using now is sweet,i couldn't tell you what brand it is but it wasn't cheap.the ht spring bobber i had was adjustable too but i didn't like how small the eyelet was and i do agree it was junk
Any pictures ? :whistle:

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2011, 11:06 AM »
Any pictures ? :whistle:

Gamma, I think I know the ones he's talking about. Dad bought one a while ago from fish307, it was like $6 or $8, then I decided to copy it so I woudn't have to pay that much. I'll try and take a picture of mine in a bit. They aren't adjustable but are super sensitive, far better than those HT deals.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2011, 11:24 AM »

used hot glue to attach it, been meaning to remove some with a hot knife
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2011, 11:54 AM »
Many of us years ago use to fish with a 3/8" or 1/2" diameter plastic bobber small enough to sink with the weight of your jigs and line.  We would suspend the bobber just under the water surface and would roll it back and forth.  Once you got a steady roll going a fish bite would change the rhythm or make the roll look different and you would yank.  Really worked well unless you wanted to fish in the wind and snow, then you could not see the roll very good.  

Changed to a noddle rod for a very short couple of days and gave that up when I lost a lot of fish because the hook wasn't set.  Maybe I didn't have the right flexibility but my noddle rod didn't have any back bone.  

Finalized on the spring bobber about 5 years ago and can I catch fish.  Not bragging but I can sense a bite almost without the spring moving.  Best strike sensor I ever used.

As for the ice in the eye-let, I agree to put it in my mouth and blow hot air, the ice goes away almost instantly.  What's a little lake water or fish juice!

Perch Chacer
Keep on hauling  

I still use this exact method with a fiska, 2# test, and a sinking bobber. I think very few people do it. You get the bobber into a rhythm and when it changes you set the hook. For me the perch seem like to hit the fiska when it is moving so I keep that bobber rolling the whole time there is a fish on the screen.

I am not a fan of spring bobbers but to each his own.

Offline bigdaddyc9

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • cooler than a mentholated snowball!!!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2011, 01:35 PM »
I use spring bobbers on all my jigging rods.I have HT IB24's and have the round glow spring bobber by Ht upon each one.So 6 total.I can honestly say it increased my odds tremendously.There are times when a slab crappie lifts the bobber subtley,and if that bobber was not upon it;I would miss it..I use them with minnows and maggots.Its something that folks who get bored easily can watch.The minnows Im talking about.Just that light up and down swaying minnow motion keeps them alert.But like I mentioned before I have had some suspended crappies just gently lift that bobber while inhaling the lure.I also feel a ton of short strikers early enough to hook up.Most are dinks but it keeps one busy.Hope to get out there one more time this year.But we got 30 inches here in the hills of Sherburne,so walkings out till some of this duff one top melts but there is so much Im sure the initail layers is damaged. Peace and One Love  BigD
Please Mother Nature,not this year too???

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2011, 05:41 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

used hot glue to attach it, been meaning to remove some with a hot knife
thats the 1 i bought

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2011, 07:31 PM »
Arctic Ice AIE 30 by HT is all you need. The tip is super sensitive with plenty of back bone to set the hook. I have only lost one walleye with this pole and everybody knows how hard a waldos mouth is. I'm a perch man by the way.

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2011, 08:23 PM »
Arctic Ice AIE 30 by HT is all you need. The tip is super sensitive with plenty of back bone to set the hook. I have only lost one walleye with this pole and everybody knows how hard a waldos mouth is. I'm a perch man by the way.
::) ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D   Sure it is ! ;D ;D

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2011, 09:15 PM »
::) ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D   Sure it is ! ;D ;D
pictures don't lie and I HAVE PLENTY OF THEM ;) ;) ;)

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2011, 09:41 PM »
pictures don't lie and I HAVE PLENTY OF THEM ;) ;) ;)
Do they pull double duty staking your tomato plants in the summer ?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2011, 09:47 PM »
Do they pull double duty staking your tomato plants in the summer ?  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Yeah man. They also bring me in some lobsters. :o :o :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.