Author Topic: crappies?  (Read 2846 times)

Offline waltergill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
crappies?
« on: Jan 21, 2009, 05:05 PM »
do you guys in alaska catch any crappies prob a silly question but diddn't know if there are any up there
That's a wopper!!!

I'ts huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: crappies?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2009, 05:33 PM »
Pretty sure they don't exist up there. No walleye's either.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2009, 07:17 PM »
not a silly question just a crappie one...couldn't help myself.  No bass, no browns, musky, perch, catfish, sunnies, crappie, carp, walleye, etc

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2009, 07:37 PM »
I have caught some crappie little stocked kings  ;D  But really it's not a silly question after all we have questions others might think are silly...like what the heck do those bass fisherman on tv get so excited over those puny fish for???

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2009, 07:46 PM »
Bass fishing is like watching paint dry or grass grow.   ;D

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2009, 10:45 PM »
No crappies unless your fishing at the sewage plant!  I sure wish we had at least perch up here... :'(
TEAM ALASKA

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2009, 12:23 AM »
Hey you guys remember about 6-7 years ago about the guy that stocked perch into his lake down on the Kenai Pen.  It was either in Ninilchik or Nikiski.  The state came in and took care of them real quick fearing they'd escape and make their way into the rivers.  Guy believed his lake was landlocked so it was OK.  Bought the eggs UPS and everything.  Absolutely striking.

Oh, and we got crayfish now too.

Dr. JM
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2009, 06:05 PM »
i say keep the crappies out of AK and the perch to much risk to our fish stocks...yeah that perch deal was a big deal...i think the guy got in some serious hot water, and it was Nikiski.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2009, 11:19 AM »
I saw the deal on crawfish somewhere.....  They were found in the Kenai right??  Perch are the devil to remove once they make it in an area.  They're so damned tasty, not to mention lots of fun! ;D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2009, 11:22 AM »
not a silly question just a crappie one...couldn't help myself.  No bass, no browns, musky, perch, catfish, sunnies, crappie, carp, walleye, etc

Not yet.  ::)  I thought I heard you have brook trout? Are they native?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2009, 11:34 AM »
Eastern brook trout? no....  Guess the stunning beauty propelled them to the top with our biologists way back when.  Yeah it's funny how brook trout gained favor over other fish for the right to be introduced.  Western states will always remain bias toward trout, and alienate the other white meat.   ;D Non natives should never be introduced to our waters unless they're sterile or taste like doughnuts... mmmmmm doughnuts.
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2009, 12:28 PM »
Eastern brook trout? no....  Guess the stunning beauty propelled them to the top with our biologists way back when.  Yeah it's funny how brook trout gained favor over other fish for the right to be introduced.  Western states will always remain bias toward trout, and alienate the other white meat.   ;D Non natives should never be introduced to our waters unless they're sterile or taste like doughnuts... mmmmmm doughnuts.

You ever eat a brook trout? They taste just like Krispy Kreme doughnuts just out of the fryer!!!!                 

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2009, 02:33 PM »
they have brooktrout that the stocked in southeast alaska in a few waterways

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2009, 05:38 PM »
they have brooktrout that the stocked in southeast alaska in a few waterways

Any size to them there?

BTW don't get me wrong. I'm against introducing non native fish.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline waltergill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2009, 06:05 PM »
well guys i don't know what i would do if i couldn't get crappies gills and perch through the ice, i would probly loose my mind lol
That's a wopper!!!

I'ts huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2009, 07:53 PM »
   I'm kinda surprised you don't have perch in Alaska. I remember watching a sports show with 2 Americans fishing the other side of the Strait in Kamchatka and their guide went fishing for the pan to feed everyone.
He caught a few really dandy perch and a some mediocre pike. The real target of this trip was some species of monster salmonid - don't remember the name this was all a while back but I think it was a 2 part episode of
"American Angler".

Spin

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2009, 08:05 PM »
   I'm kinda surprised you don't have perch in Alaska. I remember watching a sports show with 2 Americans fishing the other side of the Strait in Kamchatka and their guide went fishing for the pan to feed everyone.
He caught a few really dandy perch and a some mediocre pike. The real target of this trip was some species of monster salmonid - don't remember the name this was all a while back but I think it was a 2 part episode of
"American Angler".

Spin

Spin,

Was that on the Russian side? Man some of those Euro/Eurasion perch are incredible!

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2009, 08:35 PM »
     Yep their guide was using a center pin reel and a really heavy duty rod. they gave him a spool or two of mono line and some hooks. Hard for him to come by. Now on reflection I think the trout they were after( and finally caught) was a Taimen. It was a pretty impressive brute.

Spin

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2009, 08:43 PM »
     Yep their guide was using a center pin reel and a really heavy duty rod. they gave him a spool or two of mono line and some hooks. Hard for him to come by. Now on reflection I think the trout they were after( and finally caught) was a Tiamen. It was a pretty impressive brute.

Spin

Yes I've see pictures of the Taimen. They get huge if I remember right.

Offline martenpine

• IceShanty Rookie
  • when there is shot in the air there is hope
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:49 PM »
Yes there are some nice brook trout in SE, The biggest I think I caught was around 4 pounds. I used to fish them on Baranof Island.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2009, 12:26 PM »
you would have had the state record had you got it to a fish and game or certified scale

Offline martenpine

• IceShanty Rookie
  • when there is shot in the air there is hope
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2009, 12:33 PM »
I know, but at the time i didn't know.  >:(

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 28, 2009, 10:15 PM »
I know of a person that bought some property on a lake in the Kenai. When he moved in he found the lake plagued with yellow perch. He could not figure out how to get rid of them so he called ADFG to ask if he could stock Pike in his lake to eat the perch. The fish and game freaked out and poisoned the lake to kill them. Don't know if it's true

Offline KrappieSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2009, 06:27 AM »
No 'eyes in Alaska?? 

I'm a little confused since the only thing I eat at the local fish market is "Alaskan Walleye"  haha
Pool 9 Pro

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2009, 10:25 AM »
No 'eyes in Alaska?? 

I'm a little confused since the only thing I eat at the local fish market is "Alaskan Walleye"  haha

What confuses me are those Alaskan Pollack product of China!  :D

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2009, 10:27 AM »
No 'eyes in Alaska?? 

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2009, 11:25 AM »
Yeah there "walleye pollock", Alaska's version of the yellow bellied bullhead.  :D
TEAM ALASKA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.