The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: auger dies under load?  (Read 7011 times)

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
auger dies under load?
« on: Feb 04, 2007, 01:01 PM »
I have an older jiffy 3 hp    model 30 I have been happy with this auger up until now    It starts on the first or second pull  doesnt idle good   but never has.  This year i brought it out to cut very thin ice and it bogs down when I try to cut the ice or it seems to be binding...  I am only cutting through 3 inches of ice. If anyone has any ideas let me know    I know some dont like power augers for thin ice but its all i got and would like to use it    It is a pain to cut 20-30 holes when it takes at least 2 start-ups for a hole I am as far from a small engine mechanic as you could be...  I have never changed the blades  could that be part of it   not sure any help would be greatly appreciated

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
Re: auger dies under load?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2007, 03:32 PM »

First is there fresh fuel in it ? Is it the right mixture ? Has the spark plug been changed ? I would check those items first.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2007, 04:59 PM »
i changed the plug   the gas should be fresh I ran it dry before putting it away and then ran it for a while with a  fresh tank before my first trip   I have never had any problems with it    The mix is damn near perfect according to the engine stamp 24:1   i believe    almost seems to possibly be something in the gear box maybe..  like i said i am not a mechanic by any stretch so i am not sure    just seems weird that it feels like it is binding through almost nonexistant ice ( you wouldnt even want to see what im standing on sometimes) I appreciate the reply I think i may try to get it working   but for now I will probably break down and buy a hand auger   all we need in the land of deep snow and paper thin ice (WNY)

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2007, 05:55 AM »

marcus I sent you a PM.  ;D

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2007, 12:43 PM »
I have an older jiffy 3 hp    model 30 I have been happy with this auger up until now    It starts on the first or second pull  doesnt idle good   but never has.  This year i brought it out to cut very thin ice and it bogs down when I try to cut the ice or it seems to be binding...  I am only cutting through 3 inches of ice. If anyone has any ideas let me know    I know some dont like power augers for thin ice but its all i got and would like to use it    It is a pain to cut 20-30 holes when it takes at least 2 start-ups for a hole I am as far from a small engine mechanic as you could be...  I have never changed the blades  could that be part of it   not sure any help would be greatly appreciated

Before I would take the jiffy to a repair shop I'd pull the muffler and check to see if the  portor muffler is cabboned up. This sometimes happens with two cycles and can cause them to lose power.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2007, 02:38 PM »
You may want to put a couple of caps full of Sea Foam in the tank and let it idle for a while to clean any deposits out of the carburetor. Works for me.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2007, 06:07 PM »
thank you all for the suggestions i believe i am still going to take the muffler off and make sure it isnt all gummed up and i will now run sea foam through it .  Thanks lone wolf   minor adjustments to the 2 screws on the carb made a worl of difference  I do believe there are a few things i should still do to it

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2007, 06:11 PM »
get a brand new pair of blades and take care of them, the auger wont need a fraction of the horse power to cut through if it has sharp blades. my electric jiffy cuts through over a foot of ice under its own wiehgt.

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2007, 07:29 PM »
I'm glad I could help and now you learned something new.  ;)
Did you check the other items I mentioned ?

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2007, 08:00 PM »
i didnt yet i was able to get out of work early and first thoughts after missing a day on the ice sunday, were hit the ice i did and the auger ran better than it has in a while it idled and cut with no effort   did stall out a little but i cut alot of holes. I have to wait until noon to fish tommorrow so I have some morning hours i will check the spark arrester i will clean the screen with a carb cleaner . thank you   these adjustments i made were very small but seemed to have made a difference i am no longer cutting through only 3 inches of ice either so i was worried aside from the couple stalls it cut great

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2007, 08:09 PM »

:thumbsup:

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2007, 09:58 AM »
get a brand new pair of blades and take care of them, the auger wont need a fraction of the horse power to cut through if it has sharp blades. my electric jiffy cuts through over a foot of ice under its own wiehgt.

~Neal

how do u like the electric anyway??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.