The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Rigid drill vs others  (Read 2582 times)

Offline GBR

• IceShanty Rookie
Rigid drill vs others
« on: Sep 14, 2015, 12:39 PM »
     This question is kind of a follow up to the tread I started about nils vs strikemaster. I didn't want to hijack my own tread, so I'm starting a new one. Now that I have some advice and direction on what auger to go with, I'm starting to think about which drill would be best. Reading through the many discussions on the this topic is seem like the Fuel M18 is one of the better options. However, a lot of people mention the lifetime guarantee on the Rigid drills which includes batteries for life. I don't have personal experience with either, but on paper the Milwaukee seems better, I don't think Rigid even has a brushless option.
       I'm picturing the auger kind of like a 20,000 lb trailer and you can choose to either get an F250 with a standard warranty or a Ford Ranger, but everything on is is guaranteed for life when it breaks.
    Are the Rigid drills better than I'm giving them credit for? Any other drills I should be looking at in the under $300 range?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Rigid drill vs others
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2015, 01:05 PM »
Plenty of past threads on drills ...enough to make your head spin .

I upgraded to a Dewalt DCD995BR 20V MAX XR Cordless Brushless Drill Reconditioned Bare Tool after having read some reviews and threads on IS. I originally had a Dewalt Model # DCD771C2 with 1.5 batteries on a clam plate and StrikeMaster 6" Lazer Drill...I then up graded to the 4 amp batteries ..my intentions were to use first and last ice ..but with two brutal winters in a row I brunt that drill up ..live and learn . I have yet to use it but should be fine based on others postings.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2015, 01:16 PM »
Yes, the M18 is a stronger drill, but after using a buddy's Rigid many times last season I bought the Rigid. I have been using my rigid all summer and will be using it out on the ice, it has had LOTS of power and with the warranty, it was not a hard choice for me... Others will be happier with the M18, I don't think either is a bad choice, just a difference in what you want... More power or a Lifetime warranty... I hope to pick up a "Dora"- Drill Operated Reduction Auger;
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=297573.0
Making it easier to turn a larger 8" drill if I want... So, if you are some one that want all the power they can get, M18, if you want the comfort of a LT warranty, Rigid is the way to go, both have proven that they will work well...

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2015, 02:25 PM »
One thing to consider with the lifetime service agreement is that if you should need to use the warranty you could be without the drill for 3 or more weeks to send it in..... thats a lot of ice time.... Just my opinion and one of the reason i went with the fuel.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2015, 08:28 PM »
One thing to consider with the lifetime service agreement is that if you should need to use the warranty you could be without the drill for 3 or more weeks to send it in..... thats a lot of ice time.... Just my opinion and one of the reason i went with the fuel.

Possibly true, but I am in driving distance to a service center, they have been Known to hand you a new one while you wait... But how long will you be "down" when your fuel burns out? Like every drill, it will, sooner or later... I will grant you that the fuel may last longer, but if I think my Rigid is not going to make it through the season, I could watch for a deal and pick up another one... It would only cost <$200 more too have 2 rigids, than one fuel. As I said, it is what you are comfortable with...

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2015, 08:38 PM »
i preffer to support a company who stands behind its products. so i use ridgid x4 18 volt and 24 volt and two 12 volt and gen5x 18 volt. i might try the new fuel version 2 to see if it is what they claim.  you can get it for 280$ online only from homedepot. its not the xc, but is every thing else. looks to be a tad shorter gear case is all.

if you end up in a pinch like that , no matter who's brand is broken and you are waiting for repairs (free or not), you can buy from home depot and return any tools with-in three months hassle free returns. thats a whole ice season, if need be.  another option, have two drills or more. i have 4 and might get another to try out for kicks. any thing real important, that i can buy, i have more than one of for days like those.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2015, 09:30 PM »
Well I don't pay anywhere near retail. I look for internet deals usually on Amazon, my first fuel was 85 dollars bare tool only. So after the first two seasons and a over a thousand holes later I bought a spare that was 95 dollars (bare tool only) until last week when I built another clam plate auger for a friend and sold it to him. So now I'm looking to buy a GEN2 Milwaukee fuel (bare tool only) that has 1200 in/lbs of torque. I guess I have 2 other Milwaukee brushed cordless drills that would work in a pinch if times got tough, although brushed cordless drill wont perform nearly as well. As far as 4ah batteries I currently own 6 which I also paid NOWHERE near retail for. Before I built the clam plate last week I had 2 fuel drills and 6 4ah batteries for right at $395 for all (some have that much money in a drill w/2 batts and a charger). I find it much more cost effective to buy components instead of kits. I have never doubted who has the best warranty and if you live close to a service center you could get a new one..... and you could be waiting should they choose to repair it or you don't live close. This is the downside I see to the LSA. I'm not bashing it or anyone that has chose to go that route. You will get the drill fixed for replaced for life. I have had one question that someone here could maybe answer. What happens when your model is discontinued and you burn it up?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2015, 09:48 PM »
they set you up with the next closet kit. i own a 24 volt ridgid kit that has their flash light, saws all and hammer drill. they gave me new batteries last ice season and said they are thinking about discountuing the 24 volt line up and they would give me what ever 18 volt kit is out at the time. so that would be their new gen5x kit for 500$. i paid 200$ for the 24 volt kit new with lsa.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2015, 09:59 PM »
So it's a automatic upgrade with a LSA then??? If so, that is definitely a good thing..... I guess for me not living close to a service center I would never risk giving up weeks of ice time to send it in.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2015, 10:46 PM »
So it's a automatic upgrade with a LSA then??? If so, that is definitely a good thing..... I guess for me not living close to a service center I would never risk giving up weeks of ice time to send it in.
yup, they give you an all new kit for free when you need service from a kit they no longer offer/service.

what if your milwaukee dies under warranty while its ice season? you are saying theres no waiting time with that brand to be serviced? i undrstand its a disposable drill kit after the warranty runs out.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 14, 2015, 10:55 PM »
To the O.P. You originally stated that the ice doesn't get crazy thick where you are. You also plan on paring it up with a 6" auger. If that is the case then I would go with the Rigid. You can get one that offers 650lbs of torque. The Milwaukee is 725lbs. Even with the Milwaukee having 75lbs more of torque you won't really need that unless you are drilling through thicker ice and using an auger bigger than a 6". This is the kit I would go with. http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-X4-18-Volt-Hyper-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Hammer-Drill-Driver-and-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-R9200/205141594
If you do go that route be sure to get the one with 4.0ah batteries not the 1.5 or 2.0

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 15, 2015, 07:19 AM »
I just keep a spare drill on hand. I wont ever warranty a drill out, unless it wont work straight out of the box. I am pretty sure that what im doing with the drill would qualify as abuse by any manufacturer, I guess I would feel sketchy about  trying to get a new drill based on what im using it for. I am not even sure i would even pay to have one repaired as cheap as i can purchase a new unit. Fortunately it has not been an issue for me or anyone else i know so far. My guess is the transmission will give out long before the brushless motor ever will.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Sep 15, 2015, 08:03 AM »
i just stress tested my new ridgid gen5x 18 volt hammer drill drilling a 3/8" hole with a 13" long masonary bit. it did get hot and it did shut down when almost done making the hole, had about another inch left to go.  the heat was comming from the transmission. started right up as soon as it cooled enough. it had plenty of torque, that wasn't an issue at all.

I just keep a spare drill on hand. I wont ever warranty a drill out, unless it wont work straight out of the box. I am pretty sure that what im doing with the drill would qualify as abuse by any manufacturer, I guess I would feel sketchy about  trying to get a new drill based on what im using it for. I am not even sure i would even pay to have one repaired as cheap as i can purchase a new unit. Fortunately it has not been an issue for me or anyone else i know so far. My guess is the transmission will give out long before the brushless motor ever will.
you have never plumbed in waste line then. drilling with huge basket saws thu hard wood taxs every thing about your drill. it is designed to do that. ice is much easier and much colder than drilling thu wood indoors.

if you got water or sand in it and it died, then it was your fault you ruined the tool and you should feel sketchy about a claim at that point. we are supposed to take good care of our tools. i know i do. the tech working on it will figure out if it was abused while he's working on it. they don't ask when you drive your tools to a service center, because they don't care. i asked for new 24volt batteries and a 12 volt motor fried while wire wheeling metal and they wanted ALL of my ridgid tools to go thru and recondition them for free. while i was waiting, i went out and bought anther 12 volt drill 2-speed  kit for 100$ with a free impact and one 4amp and one 2 amp battery.

so your saying you would throw away your milwaukee drill and just go buy another while its under warranty to the OP?
how much is just the milwaukee 18 volt version 2 fuel drill only cost? where can i buy one?

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2015, 09:34 AM »
What i am saying is that I dont see me taking the drill off my auger plate and trying to warranty it out. I figure if i can get at least this season out of it I only paid $85 for the bare tool.... thats $21 and change per year, and less every season after. It was my understanding that the Milwaukee fuel Gen 2 will be priced same as first gen... (i'll let ya know when i get it bought). I was spending more than $21/yr for gas, oil, plugs, etc,etc, etc in my old eskimo gas auger.... Anyway you look at it you gotta pay to play. I just cannot afford with my often short ice season to pay with a few weeks of ice time to send my drill off to the LSA....... Again im not bagging on it, it is the best warranty and if you live by a service center its probably a decent inexpensive option.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.