The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Eskimo Silvertip Thoughts?  (Read 2391 times)

Offline dipNrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eskimo Silvertip Thoughts?
« on: Mar 01, 2015, 08:36 AM »
Bought an 8" version of this hand auger this past week and tried it yesterday.  Not very impressed. I have a 6" lazier and it cuts like butter compared to the Eskimo. Not sure if it's the fact that the laser is only 6" or if the blades on the Eskimo just aren't very good. The laser and Eskimo have a very similar design but I did put on the Swedish replacement blades on my lazer. Also on 16"+ I found I had to stop about 3/4 of the way down and clean out the hole otherwise the Eskimo blade would jam in the hole before I could break through the last couple inches of ice.
  Any other experience similar to mine. Definitely think I am going to pick up a propane 8-10" auger st the end of the season and keep my lazier for trout/ pa fishing.

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Eskimo Silvertip Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2015, 09:15 AM »
I have never used the Eskimo or Strikemaster but yes, 6" vs. 8" does make a difference.  I have a 8" Nils and it is used for Pike, Lakers and tip ups, everything else I use my 6" Fin bore because it is noticably easier.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2015, 11:12 AM »
My 6" Silvertip cuts like crazy. All I can say is 8" is too much for a hand auger. Just an opinion. My 6" Silvertip cut more than 1/2" a turn.
4" of hard crust then 8" of Solid ice.
http://vid1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa414/lefty2053/100_3256_zpsdce8ubro.mp4
<===Lefty===

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2015, 07:05 AM »
It is a  pretty aggressive auger,my buddy has one,  I have only drilled a few holes by hand with it, and it is a little much.  I put it in my gear reduction(Dora) and it cut so nice, was super impressed.  Def better in a 6" for a hand auger for sure.

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2015, 05:01 PM »
The silver tip and the barracuda are the same auger other than the silver tip has Chinese blades. Put together an offset handle for it and it makes all the difference in the world I love mine but it is a bit much drilling 30 to 50 holes a day for 4 days straight so i picked up a power auger :)

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 01:47 PM »
My 6" cuts like butter.
R.T.- Where did you get the handle for the auger? Would make it even easier.
Don't fall in. Unless it's a big one.

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 03:05 PM »
My 6" cuts like butter.
R.T.- Where did you get the handle for the auger? Would make it even easier.
Top part of the handle is from a Nils auger the adapter block I built out of round and square tube. I have built 3 of them and they work fantastic you can get the handle from Nils or pick them up from ebay once in a while. The parts for the adapter can be found at most metal scrapyards for a few bucks   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.