The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy pro 4 lite ice auger  (Read 25415 times)

Offline tundra redneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jiffy pro 4 lite ice auger
« Reply #30 on: Nov 24, 2013, 07:03 AM »
I'm looking to hear some real feedback from actual use between the pro4 and pro4 lite before pulling the trigger. Whether theres a loss of rpm or torque? How much slower does one cut than the other? Ive asked the people at Jiffy how the performance differs between the two and the woman Ive talked to keeps telling me there is no difference. She's a nice enough lady and is very polite, but doesn't seem to understand I'm questioning whether theres some drawback when losing 20% of horsepower. She did say the lite model has a different ripping blade which also helped on the weight reduction. It would be nice to see a side by side demo on youtube like the gas vs propane vids (
). I'm sure once we get some ice we'll have something to compare. Might be awhile for us here in Connecticut though. lol. Please post a link if you find something.
Thanks guys,
Have a safe season
I betting if it's 20% less weight its probbery 20% less power. even if it's a 10 seconds slower your fishing not racing,  as long as it cuts good and reliable that's all what matters to me. That's just my opinning

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Nov 24, 2013, 09:03 PM »
coming up on season 3 with my pro 4, i have had strikemasters, eskimos and older jiffys it is going to take something unbelievably great to get me to give mine up. 

Offline dannyman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Nov 26, 2013, 04:03 PM »
i have read alot of reviews and some of my friends love their jiffy. i found them at REEDs for 475 when you register with them.

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Nov 26, 2013, 05:30 PM »
i have read alot of reviews and some of my friends love their jiffy. i found them at REEDs for 475 when you register with them.
They beat that price at the ice show in St Paul when I got mine.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Nov 27, 2013, 08:23 AM »
I just picked one up from Cabelas for $499.99...$475 sounds nicer though. Night and day difference from the pro 4 and pro 4 lite weight-wise, so glad they came out with the lite. Jacked to start drilling some holes!

Offline Tommytuna

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Nov 28, 2013, 09:38 PM »
I betting if it's 20% less weight its probbery 20% less power. even if it's a 10 seconds slower your fishing not racing,  as long as it cuts good and reliable that's all what matters to me. That's just my opinning
I hear what your sayin Tundra and you hit the nail on the head as far as power goes. I feel as you do with the exception that I primarily jig, so Im usually drilling 75 to 100 holes when you count the tipups too. Still have to consider carrying that extra weight though. I have a 32 year old magnum 33cc 8" 2 stroke auger thats pretty light and is still running fine. I feel its not long before the ethanol destroys that just like my weedwackers and blowers. It does bog out just before breaking through each hole though. I have always been the slowest auger out there, but many times the rest of the group would leave theirs in the truck just because of the weight. There was always a very noticable difference in performance between my 33cc 2 stroke and the larger ones. Jiffy did say they redesigned the blades on the pro4 lite as well. Maybe that will help with performance too. Happy Thankgiving

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Nov 30, 2013, 03:00 PM »
 I have the pro 4 and like it but I would swap for the lite if it had a 10" bit. I couldn't downsize to an 8" bit after using a 10" for several years. So my snosled will have to keep lugging the extra weight.
It must be something in the water.

Offline nbaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 07, 2013, 01:22 AM »
Finally broke down and upgraded my equipment tonight.  8" Pro4 Lite and a LX7. Was the last Lite in western ND, until more come in maybe, can't wait to punch some holes on Sunday.

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 09, 2013, 02:12 PM »
Seagram's suddenly found they were overstocked with 1,000 BARRELS of VO when I had to quit.  :pinch: I think Jiffy has most of the bugs worked out of the propane one, and they're made in the USA, too.  ;)

I would beg to differ on the "made in the USA" comment.  They say "Made in China" right on the engine sticker...well at least on the ProLite that I saw.

I too am curious to see the comparison videos between the Pro4 and ProLite.

Offline Egts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 22, 2013, 09:17 PM »
I just took my dads's Pro4 Lite (propane) today and compared it my my 15 year old Tecumseh powered Laser Strikemaster.  Both are 8" augers.  I'm not a Strikemaster fan boy, I'm just giving a report of what I saw today.  Bottom line, the Strikemaster was faster.  But I have started the Jiffy every day for the past week (been in a cold garage) and it started on the first pull every time.  I like the idea of only carrying one fuel on multiple day fishing trips.  It's a very nice auger.  The weight is noticeably lighter than a friends 2 year old Pro4 (1st generation).  I would put the speed of the Pro4 Lite on par with the Pro4.  The Pro4 Lite is a great auger, easy to start, runs awesome and drills like it is in fire & exactly the auger my 61 year old dad needs.  As soon as the Tecumseh gives out I'll seriously give the Pro4 Lite a look.

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 23, 2013, 11:10 AM »
I agree with the previous post.  Not the fastest auger out there, nor the most powerful.  Had a Legend Lightning with the Jiffy 2500 prior.  The 2 stroke was a beast.  The Pro 4 lite starts a lot easier, and is lighter, which is worth the sacrifice IMO.  Love the propane.

Offline Tommytuna

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 24, 2013, 06:34 AM »
Pulled the plug on the pro4 lite yesterday.  Only had 4 or 5 inches to drill through but it's noticeably faster than my old magnum 2 stroke. I did have stalling issues with the tank being very low but I'll just save that one for the stove. Other than that it started 1st pull and cut right through. The new ripping blade doesn't look like it will be easy to resharpen down the road but it does a nice job cutting out of the box. Will pick up a spare just in case. Overall I'm very impressed with the performance. Seems to have plenty of balls with more power than I'm used to from my old auger. Hope this one lasts 30 years like the last one. Man, I'm getting old.lol

Offline Steve Kerns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 05, 2014, 06:20 PM »
What is the run time or average number of hole per tank of propane for these units?

Looking to buy my first power auger and I like the idea of propane over gas.

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 05, 2014, 06:41 PM »
I have the Pro 4 lite 8", and I have easily drilled 200 holes in 6-8" of ice.  Still on the original propane tank.  So at least that many!

Offline Capt Phil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 17, 2014, 01:18 AM »
Are the bits interchangeable between 8" and 6" on the pro4 lite? If so how much do the new bits run? Debating between this and honda lite. Any input?

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #45 on: Jan 18, 2014, 03:58 PM »
Seagram's suddenly found they were overstocked with 1,000 BARRELS of VO when I had to quit.  :pinch: I think Jiffy has most of the bugs worked out of the propane one, and they're made in the USA, too.  ;)

they are made right here in Wisconsin. just 70 miles north of Milwaukee. Sheboygan Falls, Wi.

HIMO
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 19, 2014, 03:09 PM »
they are made right here in Wisconsin. just 70 miles north of Milwaukee. Sheboygan Falls, Wi.

HIMO

Curious why why they have a "Made in China" sticker on them then?  Notice the site says "Engineered in the USA", not Made in the USA.

I did get to try a buddies out last week.  He set up a permanent and we were drilling holes inside.  The no fumes thing was nice, but we could only cut 4" of ice at a time before having to clear ice jams from the blades.  It took us almost 30 minutes to drill 4 holes!!  >:(  I'm glad I got to try it before buying one!

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 19, 2014, 06:01 PM »
Something not right with your buddies then.  I have had no issues cutting through ice.  I would guess and say it cuts 12" in 5-10 sec tops.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 20, 2014, 08:32 AM »
Curious why why they have a "Made in China" sticker on them then?  Notice the site says "Engineered in the USA", not Made in the USA.

I did get to try a buddies out last week.  He set up a permanent and we were drilling holes inside.  The no fumes thing was nice, but we could only cut 4" of ice at a time before having to clear ice jams from the blades.  It took us almost 30 minutes to drill 4 holes!!  >:(  I'm glad I got to try it before buying one!

the engine was made in China but was designed at Feldman Engineering  in Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin. cheaper labor must mean off shore outsourcing.

HIMO

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #49 on: Jan 20, 2014, 08:40 AM »

I di
Probably for the same reason Strikemaster Solo engines are "German engineered" and made in China, cheap labor. :o ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 20, 2014, 09:12 AM »
yup. well my family is now the proud owner of a Jiffy Pro4 8" propane auger. check in the ice auger section to see the new post and lots of pictures.

HIMO
Probably for the same reason Strikemaster Solo engines are "German engineered" and made in China, cheap labor. :o ;)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Jan 20, 2014, 09:24 AM »
Picked up an Ion last winter due to the weight benefits. Have been loving it ever since.
Can slap my 6in hand auger on it when im not targeting big fish, weighs 19lbs, or 21lbs with the 8in on it..  Did 80 holes thru 13in of ice and still had 2/3 of the battery left.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #52 on: Jan 20, 2014, 10:00 AM »
Picked up a Strikemaster Strikelite 2 this year. Darned if the engine isn't a Honda. Don't know if it was made in the USA or Japan. I do know it starts making noise after I pull the start cord and weighs 23 lbs with an 8" drill.  ;)2
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline augdog11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 20, 2014, 03:33 PM »
Picked up a Pro 4 Lite 8" for Christmas for the family.

Works like a charm.. Tearing through 2ft plus ice on Black Lake in Northern NY this weekend...

Very cold, but the Crappies were coming in good this afternoon...

AFM
AFM

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 20, 2014, 06:01 PM »
Are the bits interchangeable between 8" and 6" on the pro4 lite? If so how much do the new bits run? Debating between this and honda lite. Any input?

the bits cost $169.95 from Jiffy. yes, they are interchangable but on the pro4 lite, I would be careful not to overload the motor with to big of an auger. the difference between the pro4 & the Pro4 lite is pro 4= 44cc motor. Pro4 lite= 33cc motor. I bought the Pro4 with 8" auger yesterday.

HIMO

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 22, 2014, 08:46 AM »
Something not right with your buddies then.  I have had no issues cutting through ice.  I would guess and say it cuts 12" in 5-10 sec tops.

From another thread...
Do you have jiffy stealth blades? If you do it can be a PITA. Certain ice conditions will cause this no matter what you do. But other posters had good suggestions for you.

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 22, 2014, 01:06 PM »
Pro 4 Lite doesn't have stealth blades.  It has a single chipper.

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jul 15, 2015, 08:06 AM »
......Want to resurrect an old thread.

I am looking at a new auger and after reading this thread may be considering a propane jiffy.... After a reading this I went and started checking some prices on Pro 4s and Pro 4 Lites and found a "4G" model that appears to be right in the middle of the road in regards to power and weight between the two.... Anyone used these and have any comparison between the three?

http://www.landmsupply.com/department/sporting-goods/ice-fishing/augers/jiffy-4g-lite-gas-powered-ice-auger-8?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=google_base&gclid=CjwKEAjwiZitBRCy0pb3rIbG9XwSJACmuvvzzJUOwD9-RE5gHoSQa58IPRwsNUsiM_b-7xEe5djeJBoCSJ3w_wcB

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jul 15, 2015, 09:22 AM »
if you want to deal with gas leaks and heavy exhaust, get the gas one. I have the Pro4 with 8" blades and nothing can stop it. I put on a new tank at the start of the year, and take off the same tank after the season is over. well drill hundreds of holes. you can spend your hard earned money any way you like but in my opinion, Pro4 is the the way to go remember the pro4 is 44cc and the pro4 lite is 33cc. hope this helped.

HIMO
                                                                                                                  Iceshanty & MFF Moderator

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jul 15, 2015, 11:18 AM »
I have always been a Strikemaster guy, but am definitely giving these a look due to the price difference. Looks like the Pro4 Lite is now a 38cc. The propane versus gas are roughly the same price... Dilemmas, dilemmas. I wonder how much the cost is going to fluctuate between now and fall? Can you tip and turn the Jiffy Pro4 like you can the Strikemaster Honda Lite without worrying about oil leaking out?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.