Author Topic: Wing day at the bobhouse  (Read 909 times)

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wing day at the bobhouse
« on: Mar 18, 2021, 02:46 PM »
Best ice conditions of the season. It all finally froze together after all season of 8-10 inches of snow and sleet then water then ice all season. 25 inches.... Yesterday the bite was slow but it didn't matter it was wing day at the bobhouse! I raise pastured poultry and always harvest the giant wings for wing parties. It was yesterday with a backstrap chaser. Fed a bald eagle some little perch and then moved the bobhouse to the boat launch, a sad day, but hate to run into trouble if we dont get back to it right off. If conditions are good we'll pull it right back out there next week. But I think we did the right thing..

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Wing day at the bobhouse
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2021, 03:03 PM »
Always a sad say, but a good run is better than a bad stand.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2021, 03:13 PM »
So how'd you guys do out there this year, Merk?

I had a pretty slow year, myself. Didn't get out as much as I would have liked. A lot of pickerel. Damn things lol.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2021, 03:48 PM »
Hi Guinea
It was pretty bad fishing earlt season, dismal with the exception of 3 days. Of course we focus on great weather and whats hitting the grill. Recently we caught 14 smallies in about 2.5 hours ranging from 1.5-3.5 lbs. It was a remarkable moment. 3rd year in a row no browns.
Then later season we had a couple of other good days mixed in. We went once a week ASAP. Plus a few double weeks. Overall I wouldn't trade it for anything...
We are the only bobhouse on the lake and no one else fished it while we were there... I go there and think about nothing else. There isnt much else in my life to provide that kinda distance form the everyday crap! Like whats for dinner? Have had some great fish tacos... bass! Backstrapped a couple of big picks. that is sweet meat!

Any trout for you?

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2021, 03:50 PM »
And we ate like kings.... Brought the rotisserie, battery and inverter up for a big chicken spin, and wing day, and lots of country ribs, venison and a steak or two, all home raised meats.

I'm going for a weber sponsorship....to hell with hummingbird!

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2021, 04:03 PM »
Sounds like a great season as a whole! As long as you're enjoying it (and eating well!) that's what it's all about. 

I stuck to mostly warmwater ponds this year, so no trout. I tried Mascoma for the first time and thought I was in a good trout spot, but pickerel love me lol.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2021, 04:35 PM »
I agree. Ice conditions the past month have been superb. Atleast the places I've been.
And Wing Day....yum
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2021, 05:18 PM »
Wing day sounds like a proper way to end off for the season...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.