Author Topic: Garmin Striker sonar  (Read 2381 times)

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
Garmin Striker sonar
« on: Nov 12, 2016, 12:05 AM »
I'm looking for any feedback on these units. Looks like they've only been on the market for the past year so there's not much info out there. If you own or use one I'd appreciate hearing firsthand experiences. Thanks much

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Garmin Striker sonar
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2016, 08:23 AM »
i don't own one, but there are many here who do.
https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Agarmin%20sonar

after checking it out some, they do not want to talk about IR or target separation specs. it looks like an open water unit.
i hope they start making them for ice fishing because i do enjoy the garmin products that i do own.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2016, 10:26 AM »
i don't own one, but there are many here who do.
https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Agarmin%20sonar

after checking it out some, they do not want to talk about IR or target separation specs. it looks like an open water unit.
i hope they start making them for ice fishing because i do enjoy the garmin products that i do own.
They are selling ice fishing units.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline tjacob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2016, 08:41 PM »
Cannot speak for the ice units, but run a Striker 7 all summer and love it. Great crisp display and the CHIRP is nice. Never even tried the flasher mode.

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2016, 10:05 PM »
Yeah I should have clarified that I'm interested in the ice fishing aspects of these units.

They have a flasher mode and Garmin does offer an ice fishing package like this one https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-water/fishfinders/striker-5-ice-fishing-bundle/prod553300.html

Offline tjacob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2016, 06:40 PM »
Don't believe you will find much info on ice. I know the Striker 7 was not released until this spring.

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2016, 10:19 PM »
Don't believe you will find much info on ice. I know the Striker 7 was not released until this spring.
Yeah that's probably the truth of the matter. Can you comment further on your experience with your sonar or perhaps provide comparison to other units?

Offline Madplumber

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch & Release
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2016, 11:33 PM »
I love my stricker 4 way more then my humming bird ice45 but I am looking at the stricker 5 has any one researched that one yet is it better then the 4

Offline tjacob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2016, 03:22 PM »
Yeah that's probably the truth of the matter. Can you comment further on your experience with your sonar or perhaps provide comparison to other units?
Not sure I can help you much. The best option would be to go to a dealer and check them out side by side. I can tell you I own a Marcum LX 6. It's my go to ice unit. I have owned a Lowrance FL-8 (bullet proof, but noisy), a first generation Showdown (before Marcum owned them, nice light unit, but limited depth readings) a Marcum LX-3 (decent, but there are better units), an LX-5 Marcum (great unit), a Hummingbird Helix 5 (tried on ice, but the screen was too small for me and not as accurate as I like), a Lowrance Elite 7 (again great unit, but never tried on ice). Love my Striker 7 for open water and LX-6 for ice. Garmin has the best resolution and LX series the most on screen options. There aren't many bad units, but they all have limitations. The smaller the screen, the harder it is to intemperate.  Sorry for the lengthy reply. Good luck in your search. I'll shut up now.

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2016, 12:58 AM »
Not sure I can help you much. The best option would be to go to a dealer and check them out side by side. I can tell you I own a Marcum LX 6. It's my go to ice unit. I have owned a Lowrance FL-8 (bullet proof, but noisy), a first generation Showdown (before Marcum owned them, nice light unit, but limited depth readings) a Marcum LX-3 (decent, but there are better units), an LX-5 Marcum (great unit), a Hummingbird Helix 5 (tried on ice, but the screen was too small for me and not as accurate as I like), a Lowrance Elite 7 (again great unit, but never tried on ice). Love my Striker 7 for open water and LX-6 for ice. Garmin has the best resolution and LX series the most on screen options. There aren't many bad units, but they all have limitations. The smaller the screen, the harder it is to intemperate.  Sorry for the lengthy reply. Good luck in your search. I'll shut up now.

You've certainly put in time with some excellent units. I have only owned a Showdown 5.6 so I'm just thinking of cashing in some credit card points on a Striker 5 ice package because it would be "free". I like the 5.6 but it's time to get a second unit with some additional features, and preferably one that I can use on open water.

You've given some me some valuable input. And I might as well just pull the trigger because it has the features I'm looking for, and I'd wager that most companies nowadays produce decent quality products so I'm not really nervous on giving the Garmin a shot.

Offline Miller73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2016, 11:34 PM »
I recently purchased  a striker 5 ice bundle.....still anxiously awaiting using it......it's been much  to warm here:(

Offline gsp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2016, 08:01 AM »
If u get one you will have to let me check it out!!

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2016, 08:33 AM »
What kind of maps do the Garmin GPS units use?

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2016, 10:40 PM »
If u get one you will have to let me check it out!!

Lol sup brother no problem! If you find some early ice let me know!

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2016, 10:44 PM »
What kind of maps do the Garmin GPS units use?

I don't think the Striker units have maps, at least from what I've read. Not a deal-breaker for me, but for others it could be ...

Offline gsp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2016, 01:37 PM »
Im looking at the striker 4 portable from costco so any info on these units will help me out as well.  Dekatronic im sure edna lake will be fishable in a week or less at this rate.

Offline Miller73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 18, 2016, 02:36 PM »
Garmin Striker units do not have maps. They have waypoints that you can mark, and then will show up again when you are on the same body of water at a later time. The units have a built in GPS. They do not have a "lakemap" type feature. I have had one for a few months. Looking forward to actually using it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.