The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: fishing in the Brattoboro, Hinsdale NH area  (Read 2029 times)

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
fishing in the Brattoboro, Hinsdale NH area
« on: Jan 07, 2008, 04:37 PM »
Does anyone have an info. on fishing in the Hinsdale NH, Brattoboro area which I believe people call it the Brattoboro retreat?  I am seeking Pike and looks like a great place to try..I see many people out in the set backs along the river.  I am looking for a good place to break my biggest catch so far of 33 inches...

Offline Wakefieldfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: fishing in the Brattoboro, Hinsdale NH area
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2008, 04:57 PM »
I'm not from the area but I used to fish it once every few years. This was  about 10 years ago. We don't have pike in our area so it was a rush to catch the first few. Saw one guy land one just under 18lbs! Another poor guy had one straighten a #2 hook. He'd show anyone who walked by. We hammered the crappie also, had no idea they were in there, was just jigging to pass time and a little of everything.
  Can't remember exactly where we were but it was an old railroad bed with water on both sides. Good luck.

Wakefieldfisher

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2008, 08:05 PM »
Wakefieldfisher, That sounds more like the set back in Bellowfalls north of the town.BB

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline Wakefieldfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2008, 08:24 PM »
Could have been. Long narrow strip of water on the inside of the track bed is where we caught all the crappie and some small pike. The big pike we saw was on the big side of the river. What I remember most was the fisherman were friendly and helpful, and that there was a great bar downtown with live bands.

Wakefieldfisher

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2008, 09:01 PM »
sounds right!!!Bar was on the left heading south!BB

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline Leafmountain10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2008, 11:24 AM »
Grew up in Brattleboro and fishing the river and both side of it.  This is years ago so keep this in mind.  The Retreat is off of route 30 next to the Bratt Retreat Mental Health org.  We used to target pike growing up and fish the winter carnival tournament etc.  There are some ledges on the extreme eastern side that we used to fish...think the water depth was around 8' or so. 

Over the years I saw a few in the 40" range come through the ice all around the 20lb mark.  Think my biggest was around 13lbs.  We used to use pike hook that looked like a triangle and you would literally tread the golden or sucker on up its side...crazy looking things but did they work!

On the Hindsdale side we would catch some in the setbacks across from Vt Yankee.  But did better for perch  both white and yellow there.  The CT river had some decent Walleye fishing but say away from that now with this weather.  Hope this helps and let me know if there's any more info I can elaborate on.

KP

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2008, 05:46 PM »
Thanks for all the info...I'm sure to hit that area real soon...heading north to Norton Pond in a couple of weeks.  Hope to hit southern area the weekend after. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.