Author Topic: Montreal Lake  (Read 12552 times)

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Montreal Lake
« Reply #60 on: Feb 22, 2017, 08:24 PM »
I think the locals up there keep whatever they want.

no offense man, but next time you're out have a look at how many "locals" are fishing and count the nets.  then look at all the jacked up trucks fresh from the car wash that have huge gut piles on the ice.  100 trucks x 3 or 4 guys x 5 big pike each, do the math - nets ain't much of a problem like they used to be.

the last few easy winters have been as hard on the lakes as the winter kills a few years before.

also, how the hell do you cook a 15lb jack???

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Feb 22, 2017, 08:36 PM »
 and i don't mean to offend anyone here or start any arguments, this is just a touchy subject for myself.  i hear old timers talk about fisheries declining over 40-50 years, well we're seeing it in a matter of 10.  i think everyone can use a good bit of ejukatin' when it comes to selective harvest.

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 23, 2017, 07:26 AM »
The pike fishing in this lake is still very healthy and doing well     I know some guys up there and they have stopped netting to try and bring the population back and from a pike guy perspective it's worked awesome!   And lots of walleye are being caught as well   most locals walk out and fish in front of the school for a few walleye and pike!

Offline Mr. H.H. Blower

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Feb 23, 2017, 08:17 AM »
and i don't mean to offend anyone here or start any arguments, this is just a touchy subject for myself.  i hear old timers talk about fisheries declining over 40-50 years, well we're seeing it in a matter of 10.  i think everyone can use a good bit of ejukatin' when it comes to selective harvest.

Completely agree.  The lakes i fish have very little or no netting and a very small population of anglers that can take more than their limit and the lakes are getting crushed.  You said you have seen it in 10 years.  I think in the last 5 years it has drastically diminished.  Of course there are still some good days but  no where near what it was 5 years ago.  Especially walleye.  The top end size is gone.

Offline Instro_Mental

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Feb 23, 2017, 08:28 AM »
no offense man, but next time you're out have a look at how many "locals" are fishing and count the nets.  then look at all the jacked up trucks fresh from the car wash that have huge gut piles on the ice.  100 trucks x 3 or 4 guys x 5 big pike each, do the math - nets ain't much of a problem like they used to be.

the last few easy winters have been as hard on the lakes as the winter kills a few years before.

I'm not talking about netting - I was more referring to the photo we were talking about on the last page - 10 pike over 10lbs plus another 5 under that and 2 walleye on the ice - guy was a local and as far as I know he was fishing alone that day.

and don't get me wrong, I have no issues with locals taking fish from that lake. it's their lake - I'm just there to have fun. released a 22lb last year - hopefully I can find her again come march.

and Whale1979, I know you know the pike fishing is healthy - I see you catching/releasing more big fish then locals. hahah.

My drinking team has an ice fishing problem.

Instagram - INSTRO_MENTAL

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Feb 23, 2017, 04:05 PM »
 sorry instro perhaps the rye misconstrued my point.  i was getting at the fact that what the "locals" (whoever that is, me?) keep pales in comparison to what goes south on highway 2.  not alot of netting going on these days compared to past.

and the lake doesn't belong to the locals, it doesn't belong to anyone.  just needs to be respected by everyone.

Offline Instro_Mental

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Feb 23, 2017, 04:12 PM »
by locals I mean - Montreal Lake First Nations, people who live on the reserve.

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #67 on: Feb 23, 2017, 07:48 PM »
Is it really THEIR lake? Or they think it is !  ???

Offline Timetofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 24, 2017, 08:39 AM »

[/quote]

Haven't had to keep that big for awhile, but sometimes they just don't want to revive, not going to waste it. Do them up old style, scale, gut and cut into chops. The bones are big so no problem and fryed shin is delicious,only need to thaw as many chops as you need.

Offline Timetofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Mar 01, 2017, 09:54 AM »
It's march and warm weekend coming up, have to enjoy, maybe even catch a fish! What is access like at timber bay?

Offline Instro_Mental

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Mar 01, 2017, 12:46 PM »
probably the best access/driving on the lake it has been all year.

Offline Instro_Mental

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Mar 08, 2017, 04:04 PM »
anyone been out since the storm?

Offline slicktrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Mar 09, 2017, 09:36 AM »
not to Montreal I just went up to Anglen to check on my shack I would think conditions would be similar. Theres maybe a foot of snow getting onto the lake and then once you are out theres just the odd drift. Nothing to difficault for your basic 4x4 but the East parking lot at Montreal does usually drift in bad so that might be a problem.

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Mar 14, 2017, 11:32 PM »
Has anyone been up there Lately?   How's the snow?   Can a guy still get on with a truck??
Thx

Offline Instro_Mental

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Mar 17, 2017, 10:46 AM »
yep. I was on at the beach the other day. easy driving.

lots of heaves. tough to get to some places.

I was working up at Weyakwin this week and saw a lot of people accessing the lake from there.

Offline Timetofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Mar 23, 2017, 07:21 PM »
Can you drive a truck out on timber bay after the wind and snow? Thanks

Offline REM7600

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Mar 24, 2017, 05:42 PM »
The short road to the Lake is blown in. Sled access only at Timber Bay.

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Mar 25, 2017, 07:35 PM »
Just wondering if they got any snow up there??

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Mar 25, 2017, 07:55 PM »
6" or so

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.