The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Gas or Electric hole auger  (Read 3572 times)

Offline LazzEvan

• IceShanty Rookie
Gas or Electric hole auger
« on: Jan 28, 2023, 12:57 PM »
I currently have 2 gas augers an Eskimo and a Jiffy. I was wondering what model of electric I should try. I’ve heard of Ion if anyone knows are they reliable. I’m looking for less weight than the gas augers and easier usage.  If anyone knows of other models let me know.  Thanks for your time.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Gas or Electric hole auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2023, 01:00 PM »
Ion seems to be the gold standard, but I've witnessed the strikermaster 40v and that thing is a tank too (and better priced than the ion). love the idea of electric augers, whether drill powered or with its own electric power head. No engine maintenance, no fuel to pack or spill, quieter, no fumes. Seem much more user-friendly all around
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline LazzEvan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2023, 01:02 PM »
That is what I’m edging towards tired of messing with fuel.  I think it will be nicer to slap a battery on and go.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2023, 01:05 PM »
StrikeMaster or ION are the way to go .The off brands have me leery as one or two companies have thus far went belly up ...and may not produce replacement batteries in the future . A couple more post I believe you can SEARCH ...use it to search the auger(s) you are interested in

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2023, 01:09 PM »
Are you a DIY person are you in a battery platform ...Milwaukee Dewalt ? Cordless drill set ups are hard to beat .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mitcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2023, 01:15 PM »
I have the Strikemaster 24v. I have no complaints.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2023, 01:17 PM »
Auger units for the drill powered setups can usually be found for $120-$200. If you've got a powerful drill, or in my case need a good set of power tools at home anyway and want to multipurpose, they're a great route. But if you're starting from scratch, cost of drill, batteries, and auger will put you in the Ion price range in a hurry.

One thing you can do is recycle your auger attachment to a drill with an adapter. Not quite as lightweight, and sometimes a little finicky getting the hole started, but still very effective and easier on the budget

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2023, 01:31 PM »
Depends on where you're at and how often you fish.

Around here, our season is short and the ice would be lucky to make it to 8" most seasons. I can't justify going to anything more than a drill/auger set up.

If I were somewhere that the winters were "months" long with ice 12"+, I might consider a gas or electric auger.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2023, 01:36 PM »
LazzEvan  add your location to your profile..could be a deal right in your neighborhood.

Offline kautz88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2023, 01:40 PM »
I run the drill 8.5in or a nils 6in with dewalt 1/2in 20 volt and would never go back to messing with gas I love this setup up its very light. I do some hiking around the river banks were I can’t take a sled so I take a pack and carry my auger.

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2023, 06:35 PM »
I have the Milwaukee drill and a clam plate. Really nice setup. Sold my ion to a buddy but it was a great setup. Just heavier than what I have now. If I needed to replace my setup, I wouldn’t hesitate to get another ion. They come in ten inch models too now.

Offline LazzEvan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2023, 07:47 PM »
I have the 2 gas ice augers, I try to get out as much as I can with the kids.  I have multiple milwaukee drills so I might check into that, I just like the idea of a electric auger to charge the batteries and go.  I will probably look into the strikemaster or ion.  I was once looking into the propane ones but didn't know anything about them.

Offline mitcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2023, 07:51 PM »
Check out the Strikemaster 24v. Not sure off hand what the weight is but it is not that heavy. Good luck and be safe.

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2023, 08:20 PM »
I have the 2 gas ice augers, I try to get out as much as I can with the kids.  I have multiple milwaukee drills so I might check into that, I just like the idea of a electric auger to charge the batteries and go.  I will probably look into the strikemaster or ion.  I was once looking into the propane ones but didn't know anything about them.

I have had gas, propane, and now strikemaster lite flight with Milwaukee 18v.  I have used Ions in the past as well.  They all have their place, but the lite flight / drill combo is my go.  Light weight.  8 inch hole. No Brainerd if you have the drill imo.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2023, 08:09 AM »
I use a Rigid drill with Cordless Drill Adapter with a handle and have been very happy with it. One of the main reasons I went with it is the lifetime warranty. Now they have come out with an Earth Auger that I am sure could work well for many anglers who like something that is dual use as it seems it is hard to know how much ice we are going to get...

I am sure an adapter can be found or made for a bit of your choice. I have not seen a price yet.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2023, 08:28 AM »
Been running this for the last 5 yrs.
1/2 size / weight & $$$ as a power auger.
If ice gets too thick a 20" bar & chain is an extra 50.00 & you can use it all year round.

https://www.greenworkstools.com/products/pro-60v-brushless-chainsaw-kit-2019202

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2023, 08:54 AM »

If you have the right Milwaukee Drill (2803/2804 or the 2903/2904)and batteries 5ah plus.. your are more then half way there ..if not a bare toll and/or battery will get you there add this drill deal and get out and drill baby drill .

Totally forgot about this deal..this is the auger I had at one time worked just fine ..but w/o the cradle for the drill ...this would eliminate the need for a Clam Plate..

Buy the club membership for $9.99...add Auger and/or use code below

Use Code HANK20 after reaching $100

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/e-drill-nylon-hand-auger-kit?a=2214885

Offline saphireblue99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2023, 09:25 AM »
Still have my Jiffy 10 inch gasoline, Works great but boy what a Dinosaur. Feels like I'm dragging T-REX across the ice when drilling holes. Maybe they will go to lazer beam drilling when I'm dead and gone. ???

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2023, 09:38 AM »
For those that are diehard Ryobi fans, Ryobi is now making an ice auger.

No info about what kinds of blades it uses though. 

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2023, 03:28 PM »
  have had my propane for almost 5 yrs love it jiffy a littlle heavy but starts right up and i always have small tanks of propane around

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2023, 05:30 PM »
I still use my 30 year old Model 30 Jiffy 10” that weighs 40 pounds. Two pulls and it still purrs like a kitten and cuts great. As long as I can load it on my sled or  shelter, I’ll keep using the old girl out of loyalty.
  My buddies have declared me nuts for not switching to electric, but at my age I find I’m not getting any smarter. Not that I was a Mensa member to begin with.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2023, 01:32 PM »
If you have the right Milwaukee Drill (2803/2804 or the 2903/2904)and batteries 5ah plus.. your are more then half way there ..if not a bare toll and/or battery will get you there add this drill deal and get out and drill baby drill .

Totally forgot about this deal..this is the auger I had at one time worked just fine ..but w/o the cradle for the drill ...this would eliminate the need for a Clam Plate..

Buy the club membership for $9.99...add Auger and/or use code below

Use Code HANK20 after reaching $100

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/e-drill-nylon-hand-auger-kit?a=2214885

I got that auger last season for $120- great buy! I took the handle off and the drill attachment since I have the 1200 “/lb Milwaukee with side handle (and three 5.0ah batteries) Works great!

If you don’t want to spend all that money right away, just buy the drill and an adapter for your hand auger and use that. I used my Milwaukee and a mora hand auger for years before upgrading to the lightweight auger.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2023, 06:35 PM »
I'm having a hard time finding a sure-fit adapter for my 6in Eskimo hand auger, but that's the route I was thinking of going at first. I definitely want to upgrade to at least a 7in, probably 8in hole. But, if my hand auger without an endpoint can start and drill holes on a drill, I could be convinced to run it another season maybe

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2023, 07:15 PM »
I'm having a hard time finding a sure-fit adapter for my 6in Eskimo hand auger, but that's the route I was thinking of going at first. I definitely want to upgrade to at least a 7in, probably 8in hole. But, if my hand auger without an endpoint can start and drill holes on a drill, I could be convinced to run it another season maybe

Most hand augers are 18mm .. there are lots of options ..just pick one that will give you some height for the hand auger

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=372843.msg4025394#msg4025394

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2023, 07:48 PM »
Ah nice. I hadn't looked up that measurement yet. Thank you

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2023, 07:02 AM »
Call the folks at Tackle Shack.  They are a wealth of information and can set you up.

Offline Arkansaspete2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2023, 03:47 PM »
I have a clam plate with a drill and it does a good job but in the back of my shed is my jiffy ledgend just in case we go back to two foot of ice on the north east lakes again ya never know? Stay on top! A/P  :tipup:

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2023, 11:12 AM »
I have had gas, ion and drill augers.  I really love my ion and works well when drilling many holes.  If u are only drilling few holes drill works fine unless u have many drill batteries.  Nez

Offline HUNTER/1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 04, 2023, 06:57 PM »
I picked up a Jiffy Propane a few years ago,I leave the tank on every year unless it needs changed, and it will always start with a couple pulls.No leaking gas or problem’s and a tank will punch our a lot pf 6-8 inch holes,propane seems best with no charging or leaking gas !

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 04, 2023, 07:35 PM »
All I know now is an electric auger in some form is going to be my next purchase. I was just out tonight, drilled probably 12 or 15 holes by hand through about 15 inches, and I'm dead.

Good thing I didn't catch anything, I might not have had the energy to land them

On a successful note, I picked up a 13 Fishing thermo-ice combo today at Fleet Farm for $22, and was very pleasantly surprised. Reel is impressively smooth for a cheap, 3bb combo reel. And the combo is well balanced and very comfortable, graphite rod feels firm but flexible. I'd like to tell you how it handles a fish, but....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.