Author Topic: Time for a new suit this year.  (Read 1894 times)

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Time for a new suit this year.
« on: Oct 10, 2017, 04:49 PM »
I have had artic armor for many years and it is time to replace it.   

I tried a ifloat jacket last year, it was super warm but when it was cold out the coat was really bulky and stiff.   I didn't care for it.

How does the striker ice suits compare to artic armor?   Specifically the climate or hardwater.

I tend to fish outside but I do have a hut.  There are times it is below zero or windchills are stupid cold out. 
Don

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Time for a new suit this year.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2017, 05:07 PM »
On the Climate ...the jacket has taper cut ...as it has a removable liner ...so when the liner is removed it doesn't fit like a trash bag ...the bibs also has a removable liner ...warmth rating 10 . I have one little too warm with liners installed for my area temps...the liner jacket is nice... fit is a little snug/form fitting on its own (zips in the jacket otherwise)

the Hardwater has a warmth rating of 9...this suit is recommended for those who fish outside quite often .

I have the Predator warmth rating 7 ...this fits my needs perfect

all have a similar pocket layout ...plenty and laid out nice

if you can tire kick one at a local store do so best way to get a good fit  or order from store with liberal return policy

best video on the models

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2017, 05:36 PM »
On the Climate ...the jacket has taper cut ...as it has a removable liner ...so when the liner is removed it doesn't fit like a trash bag ...the bibs also has a removable liner ...warmth rating 10 . I have one little too warm with liners installed for my area temps...the liner jacket is nice... fit is a little snug/form fitting on its own (zips in the jacket otherwise)

the Hardwater has a warmth rating of 9...this suit is recommended for those who fish outside quite often .

I have the Predator warmth rating 7 ...this fits my needs perfect

all have a similar pocket layout ...plenty and laid out nice

if you can tire kick one at a local store do so best way to get a good fit  or order from store with liberal return policy

best video on the models

I grew up in NY but have since left.   Where exactly is Sullivan county?
Don

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2017, 05:41 PM »
I cannot give you a comparison, but the Climate suit has always kept me warm, even when going down the trail on the snowmobile in any temps.  It is common for me to trout fish all day in sub-zero F out in the open and not get cold.  I took a dunking two years ago, it does float.  Five thumbs up for this suit if you are operating in really cold temps like I do, if it is too warm for you, take out the liners.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2017, 06:49 PM »
I grew up in NY but have since left.   Where exactly is Sullivan county?

Lower Sullivan T/Mamakating...the suits breathe ...and they float as I have tested them
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Wheres Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2017, 07:12 PM »
I can only give you my 2 cents on the striker brand which I’ve been very happy with. I went with the hardwater jacket and bibs a few years ago and they have been both warm and comfortable for me. There are also zippered vents under each arm and across the back of the jacket for those times when its warmer or when I have a long walk with all my gear. 

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2017, 08:24 AM »
Well, I'm old and I get cold .  I got me a set of Striker Ice  Climate . Due to the weather last year, I only got to use them a couple of times. HOwever they are the best fitting and warmest suit I ever had. 
Plenty of pockets.  Water proof. And they float. ( hope I never find out if that claim is true). Pricey but what the heck. I would go to a retailer and try the suit out yourself.  The fit can be different that what you are used to at your size.  Good luck and good fishing. Geo.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2017, 08:31 AM »
There are a million threads on this same topic, but I went Hardwater.  I believe the fabric on the Hardwater is a little more durable, but I've never had the Climate, so I can't confirm.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2017, 03:23 PM »
i own both the aa and hw striker. i also choose hw version for it is their strongest fabric made so far.
with the aa suit, my back and shoulders would always get cold when the sun would set or on just plain cold days and i would wear or bring a down vest to stop that. the velcro wore out on the pockets on the aa. it is a loud nylon fabric like a kids snow pants is and it doesn't have adjustable inseams. the zipper on the bibs is much higher on the hw and makes getting in/out easier and it allows you to vent while driving or fishing. the hw is much warmer and well more thought out than aa. my stitches started failing on the bibs of my aa bibs. the hw fabric feels more like cloth than nylon. i did get a leak in one of my knees and on the phone the person said it sounded like the inner stitches blew out that has the water proofing sewn into them. they did repair them after warranty and i only had to pay shipping one way. you can shop for parka and bibs in separate sizes unlike aa was when i bought them as a set on a hanger.

i would buy them again and i'll never buy aa again. i did buy my wife the woman's version of the striker brand.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2017, 08:39 AM »
I'm interested in the Striker HW. How bulky and stiff is the outer shell? 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2017, 08:57 AM »
for me it's neither and perfect for what it is. so i don't notice either bulk or being stiff. if it is or was, using them will break them in like any thing new in heavy duty garments. try not to wash them much and wear a base to keep them clean on the inside and use the built-in hand wipes to keep them cleaner on the outside. those snap on/off and are meant to be cleaned/replaced.

i don't wear the parka except on extra cold days and to and from my fishing area or if i'm on iffy ice or if it gets iffy.

i have only read one complaint on here about it being too bulky. you should be able to get your hands on them in stores and try them on. if not make sure the return shipping/exchange is free from where you buy from. i used dicks sports and bought mine and my wife's and had to exchange the bibs for her. they ran small. she likes her parka so much she wants to wear it all of the time.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2017, 10:23 AM »

I have the Climate and Predator ...my buddy has the Hardwater which is made from a different material ...it is more rugged but comfortable ...warm ...breathable...waterp roof  . The Hardwater is described as having a Carhartt feel ..it is noticeably different in feel/texture but has all the great qualities of their line up ...good choice if you fish outside on a regular basis .... has a warmth rating of 9/10

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2017, 11:18 AM »
I got the Predator Jacket and Bibs last year and they were plenty warm here in NY. Actually there were a few times I was walking on and off the ice with the jacket unzipped because I got too warm.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2017, 03:14 PM »
I got the Striker Hardwater Ice jacket and bibs. If is a little stiff and bulky, but you won't get cold or wet which is huge for me. If you don't fish outside a lot in wind and cold say below zero to 20°f then the Hardwater ice might be too warm.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2017, 05:58 PM »
I got the Hardwater bibs because I wanted the "tougher" material for the kneeling on the ice.  The material is a bit stiff but it's not terrible and they're not too bulky, the bulk comes from them being roomy.  For a coat I got the Predator jacket because I didn't want to be too warm, figured it's easier to add a sweatshirt, and liked the look of it better.  The one day I was out it was in the single digits with a below zero wind and I was nice and warm, even had to open the vents when I was chasing flags.

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 2017, 08:57 PM »
I purchased the striker ice climate bibs and jacket. It is unbelievably warm what is nice is the bib lining zips out for warmer days and the jacket liner  zips out for warm days to....the only thing I wear under them is cabelas thermal
Zone stand hunter these things are the most comfortable base layer I've owned and I've had over 10 pairs of base layers in all brands....only draw back to those base layers they ride up bc the material is like fur...

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 12, 2017, 09:01 PM »
I purchased the striker ice climate bibs and jacket. It is unbelievably warm what is nice is the bib lining zips out for warmer days and the jacket liner  zips out for warm days to....the only thing I wear under them is cabelas thermal
Zone stand hunter these things are the most comfortable base layer I've owned and I've had over 10 pairs of base layers in all brands....only draw back to those base layers they ride up bc the material is like fur...

Are you saying what is word under the climate suits removable liner will ride up?
Don

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 12, 2017, 10:25 PM »
Sorry for the confusion no the liners in both the coat and bibs zip in for the climate suit and stay in place...I was referring to the cabelas base layer rides up...

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #18 on: Oct 13, 2017, 07:40 AM »

They're thick, but not impossible. Seems was more flexible than the Arctic Armor suit. I went with the Climate 3-1 Parka for the coat. The HW was just too heavy.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Oct 13, 2017, 08:38 AM »

The liners in the Climate jacket /bibs are pretty secure when installed properly.

The SI suit line ups are very warm ...the hardest part is what to wear ...layering is important ...the last couple of seasons made it even tougher with the temperature swings ...for my lower half its sweatpants atop  silk/tech weight long underwear...top... similar silk/tech weight ..then 3.0/4.0 base layer ..add hoodie or 1/4 zip fleece then and a vest ...hardly every wear the jacket on calm days .

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 14, 2017, 04:47 PM »
I have tried frabils suit didn't like it for winter too stiff  and strikers i have the hw setup i didnt find it any heavier then my old jacket so guess it depends on what you are used to wear ing i love it for the added safety and warm. My stitching did come out on the one arm after one season and they did replace it with a brand new coat after I sent it back in. For those looking for base layers you might want to try the fleece pajama pants they sell in the stores I've been using them for years now and they work great they're warm and they weigh literally nothing.
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.