Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: RIGS....  (Read 2993 times)

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
RIGS....
« on: Dec 22, 2008, 11:25 PM »

I call this one Melbas Toast....GPS,Strikelite,800cc's.....my wife is so not happy about this...

STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: RIGS....
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2008, 11:54 PM »
dude..i'm so friggin jealous...my pic would look kinda like that but with me pillin my kids toboggan loaded down with the marcum, aqua-vu, 6"mora, lawnchair, minnow bucket, and 6 gallon bucket full of rods...  :-\

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2008, 12:02 AM »
Yeah....my tools help...but I'm always suspicious of guys that brave the way out spots on foot...one bucket, 2 rods, old fl-8, rusted out bronco.  Those are the guys that seem to sneak back to the truck with a tail hangin out the TOP of the bucket.  Gear helps...but I would like to think I'm getting better....drill less, walk less, fish more.  Fish still costs more than beef tenderloin at my house.  LOL.

If you see me on the lake...never hesitate to flag me down...I'm pretty generous to offer lifts or whatever.  I don't have kids...other than me.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2008, 01:04 AM »
Yeah....my tools help...but I'm always suspicious of guys that brave the way out spots on foot...one bucket, 2 rods, old fl-8, rusted out bronco.  Those are the guys that seem to sneak back to the truck with a tail hangin out the TOP of the bucket.  Gear helps...but I would like to think I'm getting better....drill less, walk less, fish more.  Fish still costs more than beef tenderloin at my house.  LOL.

If you see me on the lake...never hesitate to flag me down...I'm pretty generous to offer lifts or whatever.  I don't have kids...other than me.

I had a guy pull my shanty, with me riding B!*ch to the launch once.  Nice guy, saved me a helluva walk. I told him where I was catchin all the crappie I had in the bucket

Offline Uncle Grump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2008, 07:45 AM »
Uff-da!

Very nice outfit....enjoy it.

UG

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2008, 10:22 AM »
Git er dun :D

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2008, 12:19 PM »
If anyone knows of any ramps or good sized jumps...I really want to see if I can catch some air on this rig.  I'm also toying with the idea of "winch-jigging"....obviously going to use a dropper rig.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2008, 06:43 PM »
I want to see you launch that to, I used to run my 500 Magnum on a moto cross track. Those big utilities  aren't meant to fly, I know from experience.

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2008, 06:59 PM »
Nice rig. How much was the windshield. Thinking about getting one for mine. Getting the auger holder first. FYI Polaris 800 11.25" of ground clearance, Artic Cat 400 12".

Offline Luke Haugland

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2008, 07:47 PM »
just fyi- you are going to want to modify your auger holder, riding around like it with that will cause the oil to leak out of the crank case.   Just a heads up...

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2008, 07:54 PM »
Clearance? Just pop thru the blockage.  Mudlites?   I feel a new toy coming to visit me soon.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2008, 08:22 PM »
I could get 2 quarterd elk on mine bet that thing will haul 4........ Wanna go Elk hunting LOL. Theres lots of stuff for you to test it's abilities at 10,000+ above sea level in the Rockie MNT's

Offline jmvsmv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2008, 08:43 PM »
Boji.....  that is a sweet looking rig, at least now i will know who to look for out on the lake to see where the fish are biting ;)    You haul that on a trailer back and forth, or will it fit in the back of a pickup?  As for the ramps or jumps, hit the IGLs this weekend, there are some pretty healthy drifts that seem pretty packed, some good ones just to get on to the lake at Templars last night anyways.

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2008, 09:40 PM »
Were you able to drive out. Was there alot of snow on the ice or did the wind take care of that. Iam hoping if there is its hard pack and I can drive the 4 wheeler right on top of it.

Boji.....  that is a sweet looking rig, at least now i will know who to look for out on the lake to see where the fish are biting ;)    You haul that on a trailer back and forth, or will it fit in the back of a pickup?  As for the ramps or jumps, hit the IGLs this weekend, there are some pretty healthy drifts that seem pretty packed, some good ones just to get on to the lake at Templars last night anyways.

Offline jmvsmv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2008, 11:13 PM »
No i couldn't drive out, the drifts across the ramp were deep and spotty for holding me, i push 220 and in some spots they held me 2 steps later i would be in snow up to my thigh.  Out on templar the stuff was up to a foot deep and seemed to be packed enough to hold me on top.  But thats all the further i went, i have know idea how it would be out on anglers or the main lake, sorry.

Offline badgercreekfreek

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Take a kid fishing!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2008, 12:33 AM »
Sweet setup.  I run a Can-Am Renegade in the Iowa Harescramble Series (IATVHSS.com) in the utility class and use it as my tow rig for my Quick Flip III.  The bigger Utilities will do nearly as much as the sports quads.  If you tweak a few things you can get them up to speed quickly ... 

Here's another setup that will get you around on the lake ... and yes ... it will go through and/or over anything! 

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 24, 2008, 07:34 AM »
Yeah...those track kits are nice...might be an upgrade for next year.  I'm on a tighter budget for 2009...trying to keep it around 3k.  So, I'm thinking a ramp gate enclosed trailer first.  So far...I'm getting around OK with my rig and the times I NEED the tracks are few.  But agreed...that is a B.A. set up.

Love the CanAm product...was really torn between the 2 since the dealership carried both.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 24, 2008, 07:41 AM »
Nice rig. How much was the windshield. Thinking about getting one for mine. Getting the auger holder first. FYI Polaris 800 11.25" of ground clearance, Artic Cat 400 12".

Not sure on the price tag...kind of nibbled the dude out of it.  When you get your checkbook out and you have a pen ready...start adding stuff...I got the windshield, winch, and 2 year extended warranty for $350....I knew the invoice on the unit from a dealer in Iowa...He didn't have an x2 in stock, so helped me with some info and my brother used to sell these so he knew.  08...dead economy, 09's being delivered...it was a good time to buy...and at 3.9 fixed, I couldn't hardly justify paying much down.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 24, 2008, 07:50 AM »
just fyi- you are going to want to modify your auger holder, riding around like it with that will cause the oil to leak out of the crank case.   Jusmachinet a heads up...

Yup...tried different set ups in the mount.   The recommended position for trasnsport was way to unstable.  I keep a bottle of oil in the back tool box and check it each time.  So far so good.  Thanks for the info...those things are just kind of a pain.  I did see a guy with the tube deal from Otter...but with the 2up deal, it seems mount space is at a premium.

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 24, 2008, 08:41 AM »
Thanks for the info. Have a Merry Christmas and happy fishing.

No i couldn't drive out, the drifts across the ramp were deep and spotty for holding me, i push 220 and in some spots they held me 2 steps later i would be in snow up to my thigh.  Out on templar the stuff was up to a foot deep and seemed to be packed enough to hold me on top.  But thats all the further i went, i have know idea how it would be out on anglers or the main lake, sorry.

Offline Luke Haugland

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 24, 2008, 09:28 AM »
Yup...tried different set ups in the mount.   The recommended position for trasnsport was way to unstable.  I keep a bottle of oil in the back tool box and check it each time.  So far so good.  Thanks for the info...those things are just kind of a pain.  I did see a guy with the tube deal from Otter...but with the 2up deal, it seems mount space is at a premium.

I gotcha- yeah I had to custom weld an auger holder for the front of my snowmobile, but I was able to put a couple of shocks on it as well...I just know that my strike lite is so finicky with how it is held, and if you blow that gasket, it sucks...been there done that.

SWEET RIGS THOUGH...to both of you guys!  Love the tracks on the can am!  Have you taken it on slushy wet ice yet?  How does the spray come out...all over you?  I would imagine you need some major mud flaps to keep dry?

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 24, 2008, 10:02 AM »
Luke...not to get off thread here...but tell me about this blown gasket.  How did it happen and which gasket??  I've had good luck with mine so far.  I agree about the position of storage and transport...but if I set it down wrong or whatever...it just seems to start hard...how did you damage yours?

Offline Luke Haugland

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2008, 10:09 AM »
well, all I know, is I have blown my gasket... ;D

If you have a newer auger, you should probably be fine, the only thing with your auger that would concern me, is the oil leaking out, and into the air cleaner, then you will have a nasty oil drip on that beauty of a machine-

check out this link for more on the strike lite...

https://www.lake-link.com/boards/forums/viewposts.cfm?Thread_ID=38631&StartRow=1&SortOrder=DESC&RecordsToDisplay=15

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 24, 2008, 10:19 AM »
I notiice a small amount ot oil somtime on the breather tube...I guess this was something that didn't come standard a few years ago when they first came out.  I do agree with the thread on clearing the hole on thick ice...specially wet, white late season stuff.  I don't know Luke...mine starts everytime and runs like a sewing machine...only quieter...LOL.

However...here is a hint for people that own them:  You take in your GPS, minnows, etc at night in the bitter cold.  Take in your auger.  Start it in the am before you leave and let it idle a few minutes.  I do this all the time.  I don't know if it's condensed moisture in the cylinder or carb assembly or what, but I'm a 3-4 pull starter on  the coldest days and I haven't even replaced the plug on it.  My 2 sense..

Offline Luke Haugland

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 24, 2008, 11:32 PM »
Yes sir!  They run great, I love mine, and with living in Iowa, never have reason for owning a different auger than a strike lite.  Once the four strokes get broken in, they are a little cold blooded, but what small engine isn't?  The strike lite runs and starts better than any other auger I have owned.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.