Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Nature Vision Showdown Digital Fishfinder  (Read 1513 times)

Offline iaslab

• IceShanty Rookie
Nature Vision Showdown Digital Fishfinder
« on: Dec 01, 2008, 03:50 PM »
Does anyone carry these in NE/EC Iowa where I can take a look at one? Gander & Scheels in I.C. do not carry them. I want to look at it before I possibly order one online. I would prefer to buy it at a store after looking at it but it looks as if I will be ordering online. I wander if Hank's Bait in Waterloo would carry it? Thanks for any info.
IASLAB

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
Re: Nature Vision Showdown Digital Fishfinder
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2008, 12:45 PM »
The ones I've seen on TV shows look OK.  I just don't like the gray scale for signal strength nor do I think the signals are true "real time"...looks like a slight delay when you can see the rod tip and unit at the same time on the show.  As far as vertical...listen...if you can't figure out a round dial on a flasher I'm not sure you should be operating the vehicle you drove to the lake.  Rediculous sales point.  Price point - yes.  Smaller - sure.  Heated display - very nice.  But don't tell me there are people that are confused by a round display.  And I hate backlit LCD screens if they aren't in color....side viewability issues....make sure you get off to the side of it and see if you can still read the screen.  Those are like cell phone sceens...unless you are looking almost directly at it, your're looking at a blank screen.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2008, 08:59 PM »
You would have more than enough cable im sure.  Ill stick with my vexilar though since it has bottom lock mode.  Dont have a jumpy bottom :tipup:

Offline gotcrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2008, 11:26 PM »
Does anybody have an idea how long the transducer cable on the showdown is? I've searched for the answer in the web and came up empty.  I'd like to know how suited it would be for hanging over the edge of my canoe in the summer when jigging for walleye and perch.

Without measuring, I would say that the transducer cable is at least five feet in length.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2008, 07:14 AM »
Don't quote this - but I think the Vex transducer shoots through canoe bottoms.  I know that my Polar Vision handheld one does.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline Catchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2008, 05:04 PM »
  Love my 18 on open water. I shoot mine through the bottom of my poly canoe and the aluminum boat. I took the lids off deodorant cans and stuck them to the bottom of both boats with blue silicon just like putting in a transducer. Pour water in the lid and drop in your ice ducer.

Offline jackhollio

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2008, 05:10 PM »
  Love my 18 on open water. I shoot mine through the bottom of my poly canoe and the aluminum boat. I took the lids off deodorant cans and stuck them to the bottom of both boats with blue silicon just like putting in a transducer. Pour water in the lid and drop in your ice ducer.
How much silicone is required and is it essential to have an even film on aluminum hulls? 8) 8)

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2008, 05:24 PM »
Does anyone carry these in NE/EC Iowa where I can take a look at one? Gander & Scheels in I.C. do not carry them. I want to look at it before I possibly order one online. I would prefer to buy it at a store after looking at it but it looks as if I will be ordering online. I wander if Hank's Bait in Waterloo would carry it? Thanks for any info.
IASLAB
Howdy guys,1st time poster here. To answer your ? Hanks does carry them, thats where I got mine last year. They are having a ice fishing seminar Sat the 6th but don't know if thats(showdown) part of the show or not. In responce to the bottom lock the showdown does have it but it doesn't work the best when you are close to 20' Not a bad machine for the money but not as good a higher end Vex or Marcum.It did help me catch more fish and has some nice features.If money is tight it's the way to go.

Offline iaslab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2008, 06:14 PM »
Do you know how much they cost at Hank's? How do they work in shallow water, say like the wapsi or even the Mississippi? How does it stack up against the Vexilar SL8?

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2008, 08:48 PM »
It does OK on hard bottoms but you get a little clutter on a mud bottom.If it's handy for you if your around waterloo maybe I can demo mine for you. I have been looking at the HB 45 and the markham lx3 and maybe getting rid of my showdown but don't know if i want to shell out the extra $$ I don't know how they stackup against the FL8.I think hanks gets 269 for them owner Mike is a good guy give him a call and see what he can do for you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.