Author Topic: What do you do with your cooking oil?  (Read 3441 times)

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
What do you do with your cooking oil?
« on: Sep 26, 2017, 08:21 AM »
I tried searching, and couldnt find anything, although, I believe this has been covered.....Anyway, Im thinking of upping the ante and start to use Peanut oil for my fish fries.  I dont have them too often, but I hate to throw out the oil once its cooled.  Ive heard of straining back in the bottle and storing in the fridge....How long will this keep?  Does it retain any 'off' flavors? 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: What do you do with your cooking oil?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2017, 08:31 PM »
You can keep and reuse oil for quite a while. There are issues though.

Refrigeration helps as does filtering wayward food particles. Over time though oil can and will get rancid. Not good.

To "freshen" used oil fry up a big batch of taters. (Darn the luck, French fries) ::) ;D. Really, it does work to remove "off" flavors from used oil. Might not be the best fries you ever had but hey, you can use your oil for a few more passes.

Peanut oil is great because of the high smoke point. That means you can fry @ 360 - 370 without setting off the smoke alarm.   ;)2  Do be aware of prospective diners that may have a peanut allergy. It could be bad.  :nono:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2017, 10:32 PM »
So far Peanut Oil has been my favorite to fry in but its not inexpensive.  Most of my fries are fish but I also like to finish my smoked chix wings in the fryer so the oil tends to get crud in it pretty quickly.  I've tried coffee filters, cheesecloth and a variety of other strainers (some designed for this task specifically) but never been happy with the results.  I recently ordered up something on Amazon called a nut milk (almond, hazel etc) bag. I'm guessing some folks pack it full of nuts then beat the hell out of it and drink the juice?  Maybe I've lived in the Boulder area too long but its been reported to work well on larger amounts of fry oil (1 gallon or more) and is allegedly washable/reusable.  For under $10 I'm going to give it a try.  If it works and holds up to even 3-4 uses I'd be pleased. 

I also found some people touting the odd process of dumping a gelatin solution into the oil after it cools somewhat.  Apparently it settles and the solids (which hold a bit of moisture) wil eventually settle into the gelatin strata forming a semi solid "puck" that is easily removed once chilled.   

I will report any success.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2017, 08:35 AM »
I've never really paid attention to how long I keep my oil, but several months at least. I know the stuff I currently have is from early summer. I go based on flavor and smokiness, the more particles left over in the oil the smokier it ends up being (as they burn I'd assume) which also affects the flavor and as the oil gets old you can definitely start to taste a difference in the flavor too. I never store mine in the fridge and haven't ever strained it. I also never mix fish with anything else I cook. I really only deep fry fish and fries so I have two gallons (small frier) that I store in the basement where it is cooler and I'd say I usually get 3-4 uses at a minimum...
Da Pack!

Offline Firstholer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2019, 10:22 AM »
get rid of the cooking oil I use an air fryer.  When camping I plug it in ti my generator or electricity at a camp ground.
if you are home just bake them on a cookie sheet  breaded or no,  use the same recipe You use for deep frying in an air fryer dont have to deal with oil.  I cook lots of fish and will never now be without an air fryer.  if camping and lots of people use a dutch oven or create on with a pan of ware under a covered fry pan with no oil.  I have been cooking fish for over 50 yrs but the last yr with an air fryer,  haven't used oil since.

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2019, 01:32 PM »
I use my cooking oil many many times over.  Cook fish first and frys last, that helps to clarify the oil. let it set and cool some after use, then pour slowly back into the jug avoiding the bottom gunk.  Also the used cooking oil makes the best popcorn ever.
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2019, 01:40 PM »
I pour my used oil back into the bottle using a funnel and a paint filter. There are filters on the market madefor this. Coffee filters also work in a pinch.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2019, 07:40 PM »
After 18 months and 4-5 uses I'm happy to say the Milk Nut Bag works great.  Warm the oil just a little bit and pour it thru once...oil is good.   Washes out in a minute and reusable many times. 

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2019, 11:51 AM »
Always fry a couple of potatoes after the fish even if I am not planning to eat them. Now I need to go find out what a milk nut bag is.
Keep it safe! JDL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.