Author Topic: snowmobiles  (Read 5735 times)

Offline brohymn2

• IceShanty Rookie
snowmobiles
« on: Nov 03, 2016, 08:57 AM »
I'm pretty much set in the gear department for ice fishing, what I am toying with getting is a sled to make myself more mobile.  basically I want something super reliable, low maint. and not overly expensive, I have searched the forum and google so I came up with the skidoo tundra as a solid answer, only problem is they are either 9 grand new or not much less used.  I do like new things and do put a lot of value in having a warrenty and being able to yell at a salesmen if I get a lemon.  that said  I dunno if I can justify to myself and my wife (gonna tell her its better to loose a sled through the ice than a suv) the need for something that expensive that will only get used used a few times a month for half the year.  so I'm thinking used would be the way to go, soooo basically I'm wondering what other models I should be on the look out for?  the sled will be used 100% of the time for ice fishing.

thanks guys

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: snowmobiles
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2016, 10:49 AM »
the arctic cat bearcat is a good one. I just have a 07 arctic cat panther 660, 4 stroke liquid cooled. change the oil once a year and its good to go. Hauls myself my wife and 2 big shantys full of stuff without a problem

luv2fish2

« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2016, 05:11 PM »
check leftover 2016 sleds ski doo expedition sport 550 or a polaris 550 voyager 155 or maybe a bearcat lt i think all are long tracks (156 x15 or 16") seems there are few around i'm not a big fan of skandic/ tundra pogo front end unless your woods riding in very deep snow their narrow and tippy unless ya need them for sidehilling or you can go widetrack both polaris and yammie came back out with fan cooled 20" wide x 156" sleds or a bearcat xt or xte all good ice sleds i personally like fan cooleds seen 2 liquids blow up because not enough snow and goin to slow to kick up cooling snow

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2017, 07:47 AM »
The Bearcat is sweet. The Polaris LXT 550 is not quite as big or as expensive but I like it.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2017, 01:46 PM »
skidoo is the cats meow, period. 

For ice fishing, fan cooled is better than liquid cooled as it can run on bare ice.  The 550F is the motor you want, in MXZ, GTX, GSX, or whatever model you can get it in.  Tundras are awesome hauling machines but are not all that common and are pricey.  You'll be fine with anything with a 550 fan motor. 

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2017, 01:55 PM »
Get and ATV with power steering and tracks. You can use the ATV year round then and you only need one machine vs having an ATV and a snowmobile. If that option doesn't work for you and you still want a snowmobile then I would recommend the arctic cat bearcat. They are the best ice fishing snowmobile ever made.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2017, 06:26 AM »
They are the best ice fishing snowmobile ever made.

Bold Statement.

WS

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2017, 10:16 AM »
Bold Statement.

WS

There is a reason why all the pros who use snowmobiles run bearcats and not very often anything else.

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2017, 03:25 PM »
There is a reason why all the pros who use snowmobiles run bearcats and not very often anything else.

Arctic cats are good sleds and it is a Ford vs Chevy debate but probably the reason alot of pros run Bearcats is that they get them priced right through a Pro deal...The entire Clam ice team is sponsored by Arctic cat...

Offline Yelloweyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2017, 12:36 AM »
I shopped around and found an old 92 Polaris Indy Sport 440 fan.  I paid $300 for it.  Starts on the 4th pull every time.   It needs a new track, but the most important thing is that is a fan.  That's the #1 thing if your looking for a ice fishing sled.  if I were you that's what I would look for, unless you have to have the latest and greatest.

Offline SLIK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2017, 05:43 AM »
i got a boring old skandic 380....then frankensteined it.....or mad maxxed it

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=309950.msg3247076#msg3247076
Hockey and Icefishing...two sports that involve dropping the gloves and kicking ass

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:32 AM »

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=309950.msg3247076#msg3247076
Your Skandic looks like a Batsnowbile.  Nice work.

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:37 AM »

That's really cool...Looks like the Ice fishing version of a Mad Max vehicle... ;D..Nice job

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:23 AM »
beautiful job on the front rack. I'd have loved one for my Tundra.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:58 AM »

Awesome setup!

Those late 90s ski doo 380s are nice fishing sleds... The skandics are hard to find but the touring e 380s are the exact same sled other than color (ugly teal) and a few stock accessories (rack and reverse for the skandic, electric start and backrest for the touring).

My dad and a couple buddy's have the touring e and they've been very reliable, lightweight, and have pretty good power for the little fan cooled motor.  I have a bearcat 340 of the same vintage and they all blow me away in the powder.

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2017, 12:34 PM »
Another vote for 550F
The tundras are low tech, low weight and mine has been a great sled. I found it as a left over for a deal.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2017, 04:34 PM »
I have a 92 tundra II. Had it since 94. I would not take 10,000 dollars for it. Most reliable snow machine I have ever owned. Just basic upkeep and 3rd track on it. This sled is bulletproof. Anybody I know that has the old single lunger tundra feels the same. Picked up a Yamaha bravo 250 long track that my wife uses. So far it gets around as good as tundra but time will tell on reliability. Guys who have the big sleds have never got them stuck. They are heavy. I have seen them down in overflow and slush. What a job. Buy what you can afford now and get better when you can. Any snow machine is better than none. Weight is something to think about. Steve

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2017, 04:55 PM »

I to have a tundra 550F and have no complaints

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2017, 08:44 AM »
You realy can't go wrong with Skidoo or Arctic Cat. The best way to convince your wife is rent one for a day or weekend & take her with. Be sure she's dressed appropriately so she doesn't get cold & let her drive once in a while. She'll come around.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.