Author Topic: Tip Down Shanty II  (Read 10532 times)

Offline Beeler

Tip Down Shanty II
« on: Nov 04, 2018, 04:42 AM »
Hi Everyone, I decided to build another "Tip Down Shanty". I sold the one I built 3 years ago and now it's time for a new one. The size will be 5'-6" x 4'-6" a buddy heater will be used to keep it warm. I picked up a used trailer and added 48 inches to the tongue. Then I used some of the deck boards that came with the trailer for cross members to mount the shanty on. I replaced the wheel bearings because they were rusty and for peace of mind for the winter trips to my favorite fishing spot. I'll post pictures as the build progress. For early fishing I have a Shappell FX50 and Shappell Bay Runner, but nothing beats a hard side shanty for fishing in comfort. (I must be getting old) Please make suggestions or comments to help this build. 

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tip Down Shanty II
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2018, 05:12 AM »
That looks like it would fit this on their perfectly??  It's a hard side ice shanty..to bad this one's to head for me and has too small a door or I would have bought it.
 Easier then building it truthfully..

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/spo/d/ice-shanty-cash-or-trade-open/6734615483.html

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2018, 06:58 AM »
What do you fish for out of it?  I see tons of tip down shacks on Lake Winnebago, but most are dark houses for sturgeon spearing.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2018, 07:31 AM »
I fish for perch and whitefish. Most of the whitefish I smoke, but sometimes we do deep fry them.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2018, 04:16 PM »
Beeler all the best with this build,are you planning to use plastic/boat wrap on the exterior of this shack like on the one you have sold. Thank you for the photos.
Steve

Offline Beeler

« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2018, 10:19 PM »
Yes, I'll be using boat shrink wrap for the exterior. It worked pretty good last time and it's free.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2018, 10:36 PM »
I don't know that these will be of any use to you but maybe someone else fairly local will get a look and like what they see.

https://appleton.craigslist.org/mat/d/urethane-insulated-corners/6737204868.html

Offline Beeler

« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2018, 07:18 AM »
I don't know that these will be of any use to you but maybe someone else fairly local will get a look and like what they see.

https://appleton.craigslist.org/mat/d/urethane-insulated-corners/6737204868.html

Very interesting. Wonder if they have any straight pieces or just all corners? I bet the R-Value is great!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2018, 12:15 PM »
Thank you for the reply if the boat wrap suits your need hard to beat a free source of building material.
Steve

Offline Beeler

« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2018, 05:56 PM »
I had a chance to work on the shanty and built the floor yesterday. I dadoed all the joints and used construction adhesive and stainless screws to fasten the treated 2x4's together and used exterior deck screws for the plywood. I really like the Loctite Pro Line construction adhesive. I used it on other shanties and it held up great! I used some of the 2x4's and stainless screw that came with the trailer to save some money.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2018, 06:07 PM »
Today I built some walls and tack them in place to see if everything would fit. Again I dadoed all the joints and glued and screwed everything together. I used treated 2x2's for the bottom plate. The walls are 5'-9" inches high and the door is 22 inches wide.

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2018, 06:53 AM »
PL Premium is some awesome stuff! I'm a huge fan as well. Looks like your new shack should hold up really nice.

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2018, 08:31 AM »
Awesome Beeler !!!
I really enjoy following your builds.  :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline Beeler

« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2018, 06:58 AM »
Working progress the last few days. I need to frame the door and 2 windows, then I'll be ready to glue and nail the 3/4 inch foil foam to the outside of the shanty. A lot of braces were glued and screwed in the corners to make it stiff when driving on the bumpy ice. The lights are mounted but a piece of 1/2 inch plexiglass need to be mounted with screws to protect the tail light lens. Their is a space of 5 feet between the peak of the roof and the truck tailgate, that should be enough room for backing up.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2018, 06:52 PM »
Nice work Beeler clever idea with the tail lights. Thank you for posting the photos.
Steve

Offline Beeler

« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2018, 06:50 AM »
Nice work Beeler clever idea with the tail lights. Thank you for posting the photos.
Steve
Thanks Steve! It's a fun build and will be enjoyable to fish out of. 

Offline Beeler

« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2018, 08:53 AM »
Attached 3/4 inch 4x8 foil insulation sheets using glue and 2 inch roofing nails. Then sanded all the corners round so their are no sharp edges to cut into the 6mil boat shrink warp. I used 1/2 inch insulation for the last shanty I built, which had a R-value of 2.7. The 3/4 inch has a R-value of 5.0 and it did feel a lot stiffer, it was only $17.00 more for all 6 sheets I needed. 

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2018, 08:54 AM »
Looking very nice. The shrink wrap should stiffen things up.

Thanks for sharing.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Beeler

« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2018, 07:32 AM »
For the seams and corners I sprayed a light coat of contact cement on the bare foam so the joint tape would stick better. Built a bench and will add a 1 inch foam pad later on. One coat of waterproof sealant was applied to the bench and floor and the second coat will follow after 48 hours. The window frames are built out of 3/4 inch cedar with a slot for the polycarbonate plastic windows to set in and then added 0.04 x 1 inch aluminum trim. Once I wrap the shanty with boat shrink wrap I'll slide the windows in the opening with a bead of silicone behind the aluminum trim and screw the frame to the studs from the inside. A small square hole was cut into the side of the shanty for to Marcum camera.     

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2018, 07:51 AM »
Nice job will be nice and cozy to fish out of.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #20 on: Nov 23, 2018, 09:39 PM »
Looks like another great build Beeler !
Keep the photos flowing  ;).    :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline Beeler

« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2018, 07:06 PM »
Wrapped the shanty with boat shrink wrap. Used all screws and plastic washer to fasten the poly to the shanty frame, because some day I might have to replace it.   
Used the electric heat gun and melted all the seams together, it made a real good bond.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #22 on: Nov 27, 2018, 02:48 PM »
The shanty looks great Beeler. Looking forward to pictures of it on the ice.
Steve

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 27, 2018, 02:53 PM »
Smokin...that is one hot (well insulated) shanty.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 27, 2018, 06:51 PM »
great job nice going enjoy

Offline Beeler

« Reply #25 on: Nov 28, 2018, 06:06 AM »
Mr.Clean, Gunflint, P Meyette:  Thanks for the nice complements! I know my wife and friends will enjoy this shanty as much as I will.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #26 on: Dec 02, 2018, 07:10 AM »
Getting closer to being finished. Built the door and welded up a handle. The access hole was opened up for the camera and made a cover/plug to block the draft.
A friend is stopping over today (Dec. 2nd) to help mount the shanty on the trailer. Then I still have to waterproof the underside of the floor and insulate. Also the taillights need to be mounted and sealed.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #27 on: Dec 02, 2018, 05:40 PM »
thank you for the photos and progress report, nice design on the camera hole plug . Guessing the hole can also be used to pass hose from propane bulk tank to heater if you are using propane for heat.
Steve

Offline Beeler

« Reply #28 on: Dec 03, 2018, 12:21 PM »
Mounted the shanty on the trailer with no problem. Took it for a ride to see how it handled at 55 mph and everything look good. I still have the taillights and insulation to add and the shanty should be ready for fishing. :) I'll post some pictures of the inside soon. 

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 03, 2018, 12:23 PM »
What about rocks hitting the roof?  Any rock guard planned?

Do you have the weight?
Veritas Odium Parit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.