Author Topic: Best cordless drill for double duty?  (Read 3470 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best cordless drill for double duty?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 14, 2020, 10:01 AM »
Once again thank you for all the comments!  Drill is out of delivery today! My closest Home Depot is over an hour away so I prefer door to door delivery.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 15, 2020, 07:56 PM »

50 holes in 12 inches.    still
strong at end of day

hammer drill.    don't use hammer   

got mine in a kit 5 years ago with a rachet gun.    199 two batts

if you have a drill handle you don't need one of those 3rd party large drill holder frames

i use 5 and 6 inch mora augers.  the old light blue ones

less than ten seconds you are thru

cheers

danman

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 16, 2020, 09:04 AM »
I was looking to purchase a drill for my 6" nils, prob was gonna go with the dewalt since I got batteries for it anyways.  Don't think I care if I got the the 991 or 996 but was wondering if I bought a hammer drill and left it on the hammer drill setting by accident and tried to drill, would that mess up my nils blade seeing they are delicate ???

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #33 on: Feb 16, 2020, 09:11 AM »
I was looking to purchase a drill for my 6" nils, prob was gonna go with the dewalt since I got batteries for it anyways.  Don't think I care if I got the the 991 or 996 but was wondering if I bought a hammer drill and left it on the hammer drill setting by accident and tried to drill, would that mess up my nils blade seeing they are delicate ???

Yep ..probably not even get a mulligan on it ..have an extra blade/head at the ready.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 16, 2020, 09:27 AM »
After using a drill for 6 years, and reading about people's preferences, I think there is one factor that makes more difference than the brand of drill: Battery capacity.
Because of the ways batteries are made ( you put cells in series to get up to the voltage you need, then start putting sets in parallel to increase capacity) bigger batteries have more parallel cells than smaller.
The obvious effect is that you store more energy, but the side effect is that the battery can produce more current if needed. If you need the max the drill can provide, which you do to drill holes, the battery needs to supply that.
At home, with a full charge, in the warm, when new, all the batteries work fine.
As they get older, they lose performance
As they discharge, some loss
When they are cold (with is out biggest problem) they can lose a lot.

I have 7  year old 3 AH batteries, and was having problems with cutouts, running out of juice,... when cold
Bought a 9AH battery, and all problems have gone away.

My new theory: Buy whatever color drill you want, but don't overlook the battery you buy for use in cold conditions. If your drill is not performing as it used to, try a new battery before  you blame the drill.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 16, 2020, 09:51 AM »
NI CAD batteries are seriously affected by being cold while the Lith Ion ones handle cold much better. All batteries lose some power when very cold but NI Cad ones are the worst.
I drilled 50 holes yesterday in 10-12 inches of ice with my MW fuel 18V and one 5AH battery. At home after storing my gear and getting ready to charge the battery still had 3.5 bars of the full 5 it starts with.
I think more important with the drills is the term "Brushless". I can't attest to this other than to say on a cold, dank and wet day my DeWalt 18V was very unhappy and shooting sparks out the back every time I drilled a few holes. The Milwaukee brushless has no such issue. With 1200 Ft/Lbs of torque and variable speed in the drill setting I can run my 7 inch lazer auger slow or fast and it makes no difference as long as the blades are sharp. My buddy just bought the newer MW 2804 drill with the K Drill set up in 8 inch and that thing eats through ice much faster if speed and a few pounds lighter is important to you. The one difference I saw between the lazer auger and the K drill auger was at the break through at the bottom of each hole. K drill is cleaner there and did not try to yank the drill down deeper like my lazer does. The K drill seems a bit smoother at opening old holes or cleaning out iced over ones. Either auger or either drill as long as you get your holes drilled the object is to save weight and avoid all the other oil, fuels and gas heavy weights.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Feb 16, 2020, 10:15 AM »
Last weekend I drilled 35 (overlapping) holes back to back then after a short break another 45 holes back to back with my Ridgid Octane and 9ah battery with the Strikemaster Lite Flite 8".

I've never had to drill 80 holes in a regular ice fishing outting, but it's good to know I easily could if I needed to. Also reassuring I probably dont have to charge my battery up after each outing when I only drill a dozen or so holes.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 16, 2020, 10:29 AM »
Last weekend I drilled 35 (overlapping) holes back to back then after a short break another 45 holes back to back with my Ridgid Octane and 9ah battery with the Strikemaster Lite Flite 8".

I've never had to drill 80 holes in a regular ice fishing outting, but it's good to know I easily could if I needed to. Also reassuring I probably dont have to charge my battery up after each outing when I only drill a dozen or so holes.

I wonder??? We know that Ni Cad batteries have a Memory and get used to how much power is drained before they get recharged. It is better to run them close to fully drained before recharging them or so they say. Lith Ion ones are claimed to NOT have this Memory issue so I wonder if I should even recharge them when they still have more than half of a full charge. Typically when I go fishing I drill about a dozen holes. Other times if fishing with a few pals I could drill lots more but one of them usually has a auger too. I know for a fact with a full Milwaukee 5 AH battery I can drill well over 50 holes in a foot of clear ice and probably a lot more if necessary. Last year a buddy had the identical set up as me, Lazer 7 inch auger with new Swedish blades on a clam plate but used his Ryobi drill and smoked it after the 8th hole. YUP, Smaller drill and Ni Cad battery but he now has a MW Fuel and loves it. I have a Rigid 1/2 inch drive I use in the garage for changing wheels and it won't work for augers but the thing is a monster and very well built. If I need another drill when my DeWalts crap out I will buy an Octane.

Gam

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Feb 16, 2020, 10:46 AM »
I don't know anything about battery memory or anything like that, but I know I have a lifetime service agreement on the battery so if it ever bites the dust I get another one for free. That's why I went with Ridgid over Milwaukee. I also have the 3ah battery that I use when using the drill around the house.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 16, 2020, 11:11 AM »
I don't know anything about battery memory or anything like that, but I know I have a lifetime service agreement on the battery so if it ever bites the dust I get another one for free. That's why I went with Ridgid over Milwaukee. I also have the 3ah battery that I use when using the drill around the house.

My DeWalt drills, 14.4 and 18 volts all came with NiCad batteries. When the batteries crapped out on both sizes the drills were still working fine and I tried to buy new batteries for them. Turned out the batteries were stupid expensive by themselves or in 2 packs. At the Home Depot I could buy a brand new drill with the charger and 2 new batteries cheaper than just buying the 2 new batteries. Dumb marketing IMO. Makita did the same with their 9.9 Volt drills and tools and turned most contractors off. Ridgid is currently winning in this instance and making great tools and excellent battery warranties. I burned up my Ridgid shop vac doing drywall and got a brand new one under the warranty after more than 3 years of heavy use. Then I found one at the landfill with the cord pulled out of the motor and took it to the HD and got a second one free. My Ridgid Impact driver will twist your hand off if not careful.

Gam

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.