Author Topic: Chubby Darters  (Read 3745 times)

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Re: Chubby Darters
« Reply #30 on: Feb 10, 2020, 07:22 PM »
Chubby darters are some of my favorite baits for bass.  Ripped fast to bring them in, then slowed down to entice the bite.  But they’ll hit when it’s ripping, too.  On the drop, on the rise.  They go crazy.  I’ve also caught plenty of pike on them, and everything from yellow perch to eyes. 

Also, check this out:

Still trying to find the right time to use it...  ;D
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Feb 10, 2020, 07:36 PM »
Never caught crap on Chubbys.  However the ripping rap seems to work just fine.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 10, 2020, 07:48 PM »
Never caught crap on Chubbys.  However the ripping rap seems to work just fine.

Crap doesn’t taste good anyways. I never use them either.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 10, 2020, 07:59 PM »
Bought 3 when they first came out......2 went bye bye in a pikes mouth.....after that is was afraid to use my last one.....lol
I like using 6lb floro leaders on most of my rods. When I tie into a bass or something with teeth, I feel a bit more comfortable. It’s more abrasion resistant and still very thin, but still just have to hope the hook placement is where the line is clear of the teeth.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Feb 10, 2020, 08:13 PM »
Bought 3 when they first came out......2 went bye bye in a pikes mouth.....after that is was afraid to use my last one.....lol

I buy the biggest one's and use them exclusively for pike and lakers.
With the pike I use titanium leaders.
;)
Pike love eating Chubby's!!!! ;)

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
« Reply #35 on: Feb 11, 2020, 08:29 AM »
My best success with 'eyes is with the chubby darter. I've fished jigging raps and darters. They have very different motions. While the jigging rap glides and moves more horizontally, while the chubby darter has a very tight shimmy. I recommend switching and let the fish tell you what they like. It is completely plausible that if you consistently fish a lake where fish don't react to the tight shimmy then the darter won't trigger many strikes.

I have found that multiple lifts/rips at a time get the darter to move more horizontally. Then it has a great swimming action coming back to center.

don't forget that if your action attracted the fish don't change your cadence right away.

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
« Reply #36 on: Feb 11, 2020, 08:30 AM »
P.S.

I think Salmo has some of the best products out there. If you haven't tried their hornet series for soft water you're missing out.

Offline CaptHoss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 12, 2020, 01:46 PM »
I have had a decent amount of success with them out here in Montana on all species of trout.  Fished them on Henry's Lake in Idaho and did quite well compared to how I was doing with jigging raps and helped me catch some really big cutbows.  Also noticed it fishes better on the spot, where as jigging raps glide way out and pick up weeds I can fish the chubby darter in tight little circles with that tantalizing wobble it has.  Always tip it with maggots, bits of worm, or a minnow piece. It works for perch too, depending on the day.  It works, if you can't catch fish on it you're doing something wrong or its a little aggressive for the day. I do wish the hooks were a little bigger to hook more fish that swipe at it.
The ice is always safe. The question is, are you?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #38 on: Feb 12, 2020, 02:08 PM »
See now if you have to tip the chubby darter with bait to get a bite its even more worthless to me.reason i got them is to imitate live bait and not need it.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #39 on: Feb 12, 2020, 03:00 PM »

Oh but just about all my lures get's baited.  The way I see it, they're all fancy weights or for attracting attention.

I wish the larger Chubby Darter had a nose hook.  I'll put some bait there.  Make it look like the Chubby is chewing on a meal.  Makes another fish jealous so that it will try to steal it from it.  Bam...there's a hook there.  ;D

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline CaptHoss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 12, 2020, 03:07 PM »
I bait all my lures with at least a single maggot or a single ring of worm, some scent gets more bites than no scent. I dont know about you Speckler but I like catching fish.  The "pros", from what I see, always bait unless its small plastics.
The ice is always safe. The question is, are you?

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #41 on: Feb 12, 2020, 03:14 PM »
I rarely bait a Chubby Darter, but on a tough day I have and it can make a difference, but the majority of the time I don't... It is all about the action of the lure most days, in my experience. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #42 on: Feb 12, 2020, 03:36 PM »
I bait all my lures with at least a single maggot or a single ring of worm, some scent gets more bites than no scent. I dont know about you Speckler but I like catching fish.  The "pros", from what I see, always bait unless its small plastics.
dont worry about me catching fish lol.if i have to bait i will use a plain jig or hook and save my money over buying a expensive attractor bait that needs bait on it.jmo i was hoping the smallest size Roach color would catch specks without having to use emerald shiners.thats what my hopes were..

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #43 on: Feb 12, 2020, 09:56 PM »
Here is one of many on a Roach colored Chubby, but it is not the smallest one...

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #44 on: Feb 13, 2020, 06:48 AM »
no bait on my darters either! does not swim the same when baited IMO

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.