The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: West Grand Lake  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Fishingvermont

• IceShanty Rookie
West Grand Lake
« on: Feb 02, 2024, 01:17 PM »
Hey All,
I've been fishing West Grand for 25 years with my college friends but maybe this year we're missing out? We have a camp about 1/3 of a mile from the damn right on the water and I'm half expecting it might be open water or thin ice right now? We usually fish out in from of camp. Can anyone confirm it's not fishable for us and does anyone have a suggestion if anywhere on the lake is fishable if we hop in trucks and drive. Or is there another trout lake nearby we can drive to and catch a few fish? We don't care so much about size and more action is nice. We usually catch salmon and togue (yes, even from Vermont I can call them togue :)
Thanks in advance!

Offline Hellfish

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: West Grand Lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2024, 09:33 AM »
I was on West Grand this past weekend just off Kitchen Cove Point and there was about 7-8 inches of solid ice.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2024, 11:15 AM »
I was on West Grand this past weekend just off Kitchen Cove Point and there was about 7-8 inches of solid ice.
Waht was there for snow cover when yo we're there? Thanks!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Hellfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2024, 12:17 PM »
The lake was covered by about an inch of crusty snow.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2024, 01:24 PM »
The lake was covered by about an inch of crusty snow.
NICE! Thanks!!! Gonna be spending some time up there!!!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2024, 03:43 PM »
WG is sketchy with a foot of ice, let alone 7”.

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2024, 06:50 PM »
Yup heading up Friday morning coming home Monday, just gonna stay away from the big part of the lake.
Bait goes on the hook... hook goes in the water...smelt is in the water...OUR SMELT!!!

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2024, 05:19 AM »
12" good ice I hear on the North end... I'm headed for a day trip Saturday then and overnight Tues-Wed. Planning to smoke some whitefish!!!

Offline Fishingvermont

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2024, 05:11 PM »
thanks for the info! We're going to give it a shot.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2024, 06:26 AM »
Looks like a weekend overnight... Not liking the looks of winds gusting to 30 with 20's mid week... 40s and light winds this weekend look much more comfy!!! Anyone else gonna be up the North end way? Probably gonna fish down lake further too... Any info on ice conditions on the narrows and Down toward Kole Kill would be much appreciated!!!!  :tipup: :icefish:

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2024, 04:56 AM »
Fished around Mark's island all weekend about 10 inches, caught a few salmon, buncha togue and cusk.
Saw people traveling down the sides of the lake, no one was in the middle lots of small pressure ridges every where. Left Monday afternoon with little to no lubrication except a few wet spots from Sunday. Heard the landing in GLS was closed off. Be careful out there!

Bait goes on the hook... hook goes in the water...smelt is in the water...OUR SMELT!!!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2024, 05:11 AM »
Fished around Mark's island all weekend about 10 inches, caught a few salmon, buncha togue and cusk.
Saw people traveling down the sides of the lake, no one was in the middle lots of small pressure ridges every where. Left Monday afternoon with little to no lubrication except a few wet spots from Sunday. Heard the landing in GLS was closed off. Be careful out there!

As bad as ice was last year BH, think worse overall this one.   Atleast after February 1st last year we actually made some , not sure that will happen in 2024.  My MDI buddy said ponds close to going out.

Offline MarkNFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2024, 06:22 AM »

Ok BH, I gotta ask...what's the story with the coyote?

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2024, 04:46 PM »
She came around looking for used bait near the holes and came around the corner to find us. She was in heat to. She didn't make it far. One of those times where Thoreau makes a good point, fishing trips ,it's not only about catching fish.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2024, 07:54 AM »
She came around looking for used bait near the holes and came around the corner to find us. She was in heat to. She didn't make it far. One of those times where Thoreau makes a good point, fishing trips ,it's not only about catching fish.
Thoreau would have welcomed her to clean up used bait and probably fed her more while welcoming the fellow sojourner on a lovely lake. She was hungry, knew you were there and had a little trust. She didn't need to die for some misplaced duty and pleasure....

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2024, 08:21 AM »
Coyotes are not native to Maine, they moved in when people wiped out the wolves.  Yes, I believe there are still some wolves in Northern Maine.  Have you ever seen what they do in deer yards up North.  They will run the deer into the deep snow, kill one, and go back to chase another one out, time and time again.  It looks like a massacre, and proven fact they kill more than they can eat, unlike a pack of wolves.  The State of Maine should have kept the small bounty on them, just as enticement to the few trappers still trapping Yotes. If someone passes up a coyote during deer season on my property to avoid making noise, they will never hunt there again.  They are pretty (like all animals) but only here because of "our" past mistakes.  Not trying to ruffle feathers, just my opinion

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2024, 12:42 PM »
She may have been working her way over to Columbus Island where there is a deer carcass, I wonder how that got all the way out there. The eagles were enjoying it as I would rather the birds have the bait by the holes than the coyotes. The pack we heard every night moving around the lake says to me there's plenty of them, maybe they are one of the main reasons why there is such a small deer heard in Washington county. Thereau? this is a trip my son and I won't forget.

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2024, 01:09 PM »
She may have been working her way over to Columbus Island where there is a deer carcass, I wonder how that got all the way out there. The eagles were enjoying it as I would rather the birds have the bait by the holes than the coyotes. The pack we heard every night moving around the lake says to me there's plenty of them, maybe they are one of the main reasons why there is such a small deer heard in Washington county. Thereau? this is a trip my son and I won't forget.
Assuming he was referring to Henry David Thoreau

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2024, 01:13 PM »
I was. I'm not that very good at spelling

Offline MarkNFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2024, 02:26 PM »
We were ice fishing a remote northern Maine lake a few years ago and found several deer carcasses on the lake, likely from coyotes chasing them on to the ice and killing them.  We talked to a guy last weekend that found where coyotes chased a deer on to the lake, but it looked like it made it back into the woods.  Deer hooves don't get much traction on ice. 

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2024, 03:48 PM »
Coyotes are not native to Maine, they moved in when people wiped out the wolves.  Yes, I believe there are still some wolves in Northern Maine.  Have you ever seen what they do in deer yards up North.  They will run the deer into the deep snow, kill one, and go back to chase another one out, time and time again.  It looks like a massacre, and proven fact they kill more than they can eat, unlike a pack of wolves.  The State of Maine should have kept the small bounty on them, just as enticement to the few trappers still trapping Yotes. If someone passes up a coyote during deer season on my property to avoid making noise, they will never hunt there again.  They are pretty (like all animals) but only here because of "our" past mistakes.  Not trying to ruffle feathers, just my opinion
Your fishing knowledge is clearly surpassed by your wolf knowledge.  Pahlease.  Intent clear?

Good kill BH, Washington County deer hunter thanks you.

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2024, 04:51 PM »
Actually, not really. Pretty sure you agree with coyote & wolf statement, not sure which part the "Pahlease" refers too.  If I had to guess,  the fact that you carried this to a totally different post, your intent is to remain a jerk🤷‍♂️. Guess this means we won't be toasting s'mores over a camp fire "measuring" fish stories

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2024, 04:57 PM »
Coyotes should be gone like the wolves. No rabbits and other small game  saw a photo of Harpswell hunters in Jackman Me. with their hounds and 6 coyotes on ground  thats what we need.

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2024, 06:01 PM »
Your welcome Bog lake, I have a camp in zone 19 deer a thin around there as well. I don't hate coyotes, they thin out the old and sick from the herd, unfortunately they don't stop there, they kill and waste as well, we saw a golden opportunity and we took it, no regrets at all. I would shoot a coyote before a deer out of a tree stand as well.As many of you I have seen my fair share of deer carcasses on the ice only half or quarter eaten. So I'm tanning the hide and it will be hung on my gun cabinet. Tight lines and straight shooting guys and gals.

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2024, 06:11 PM »
Deer herd looking better here, slow gains.  Big year for the yotes, they’re everywhere in numbers, mice have done well last few years and have them well fed and breeding heavy.

Offline RacingZR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 15, 2024, 08:41 PM »
Nice kill!  Don’t need to say anything else

Offline bfr44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 26, 2024, 01:12 PM »
West Grand was good this last weekend.  Could find the white P's or any amount of white fish though. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.