Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 819563 times)

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"
« Reply #1920 on: Nov 17, 2019, 10:50 AM »
I went from bungee to ratchets, and like them better as you can make them as tight or as loose as I want. Not limited to how much one can pull on the strap.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #1922 on: Nov 17, 2019, 05:13 PM »
Doing the same this year JJ.....  Tried bungess, tried ratchets, tried posts in the cross braces to sit the sled on. They all have pros and cons. Going with a boot and a wing nut now...

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #1924 on: Nov 17, 2019, 05:51 PM »
 FlipTite tie-down straps are another great option, easy peasy!

https://www.fliptite.com/

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1925 on: Nov 17, 2019, 06:04 PM »

They lock in place but I never trust the lock or a cam strap. I always back it up with a couple of 1/2 hitches---quick and easy!
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #1926 on: Nov 18, 2019, 03:49 PM »
I like ratchet straps myself......tight lines
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #1927 on: Nov 19, 2019, 11:27 AM »
Looking for some ideas. I see the use of lift hinges on skis to attach to shanties and smitty sleds. Anyone combine the lift hinges with skis to make a smitty and lighten the load (loose the 2x8, 2x10 supports)? Plan on doing that but need ideas for cross pieces that will fold up easily for storage and be secure while in use. What you guys got?
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #1928 on: Nov 23, 2019, 03:57 PM »
Looking for some ideas. I see the use of lift hinges on skis to attach to shanties and smitty sleds. Anyone combine the lift hinges with skis to make a smitty and lighten the load (loose the 2x8, 2x10 supports)? Plan on doing that but need ideas for cross pieces that will fold up easily for storage and be secure while in use. What you guys got?

The "Original" Smitty comes apart......the bolts act like pins and can come out so you can take the sled apart for easy storage in car......I carried a cheap hammer in my bucket so I could knock them apart....tight lines
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #1929 on: Dec 07, 2019, 06:07 PM »

This is what I did on one of my sleds.

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1930 on: Dec 07, 2019, 06:08 PM »
I added a couple of springs so when you pick up one side the ski drops down.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1931 on: Dec 08, 2019, 08:22 PM »

Finally got some time to start working on my new sled, just a bit of welding, add rod holders and some paint and it'll be ready to go.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #1932 on: Dec 08, 2019, 10:43 PM »
Nice work Lyle.....It looks great !!

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1933 on: Dec 08, 2019, 10:48 PM »
Thanks Wayne. Just got a few things left to finish and it'll be ready for ice when we get it.

Offline scunningham63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1934 on: Jan 02, 2020, 07:37 PM »
Shout out to Smtty and all the posts. I built my own Smitty sled. I am no carpenter, however it turned out pretty good. I am to stupid to post a pic.  I found some skis for $4. The were marked $2 on each ski. The store couldn’t decide on charging me $2 or $4. I gave them &4 lol. Now for some ice in PA and hopefully some snow so I can try out my sled. 

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1935 on: Jan 02, 2020, 08:52 PM »
almost 2000 responses! That's got to be a record
Keep your eyes open on trash day. I have picked up 2 pr like that. Also, if you got a local Yard sale or bargain site on FaceBook, someone might be giving away skiis. I got 3 pr that way, Try a ski shop. when customers buy new skiis, they sometimes just junk their old ones

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1936 on: Jan 03, 2020, 06:42 AM »
If anyone ever wondered if waxing the skis is worth the trouble, you might want to check this out.  Half the pulling resistance with a fresh wax. 

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #1937 on: Jan 03, 2020, 07:05 AM »
How often are you needing to re-apply?

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #1938 on: Jan 03, 2020, 09:56 AM »

Love the collapsible Smitty kc. Going to build some aluminum hinges and framework for my kenai. Hope you don't mind if I copy you..... ;)

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1939 on: Jan 04, 2020, 06:28 PM »
Go for it Dave. I went back to just using a jet sled under my flip over. If it gets deep again I still have my original smitty.
When you run and gun as I do it is a pain in the azz to take the sled off the smitty and put it back on everytime you make a move.

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1940 on: Jan 17, 2020, 10:00 AM »
New truck, short bed.  Old Smitty was too long.  Found a set of short skis that just fit the truck bed and put together the classic Smitty.  Gave the old one to my buddy. 

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #1941 on: Jan 17, 2020, 11:00 AM »
New truck, short bed.  Old Smitty was too long.  Found a set of short skis that just fit the truck bed and put together the classic Smitty.  Gave the old one to my buddy. 

Short box here too. Cut off 3" from back of skis. There...now it fits.😉
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Big Sky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1942 on: Jan 18, 2020, 06:49 AM »
I couldn’t find any mention of how you are all securing the bolts for the crossbars.  Everyone looks flush so is it simply a pressure fit into the crossbar hole with the bolt then going into a larger hole on the bracket of the ski?  Or are you counter sinking a nut on the bottom side of the crossbar so it still lays flush in the ski bracket?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1943 on: Jan 18, 2020, 07:08 AM »
I couldn’t find any mention of how you are all securing the bolts for the crossbars.  Everyone looks flush so is it simply a pressure fit into the crossbar hole with the bolt then going into a larger hole on the bracket of the ski?  Or are you counter sinking a nut on the bottom side of the crossbar so it still lays flush in the ski bracket?

The last question you asked...Carriage bolts, nuts countersunk. Tight hole on the cross member...loose hole on riser for easy install/removal.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1944 on: Jan 18, 2020, 07:48 AM »

I used T-Nuts on the bottom of the crossbar; counter sunk a washer on top. I also added a strap on the end as there is a lot of torque when you turn and some have reported splitting the crossbar or riser. Also, be sure to mark your crossbars; front/ back and forward. The holes will not line up if you don’t.

Offline Big Sky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1945 on: Jan 18, 2020, 02:35 PM »
Thanks guys.  Helps a lot. 

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1946 on: Jan 18, 2020, 03:48 PM »
I used T-Nuts on the bottom of the crossbar; counter sunk a washer on top. I also added a strap on the end as there is a lot of torque when you turn and some have reported splitting the crossbar or riser. Also, be sure to mark your crossbars; front/ back and forward. The holes will not line up if you don’t.

If you have a drill press, you can set up a jig to the drill holes in the same spot, avoiding the need to mark and match. I also cut the notch in the risers just "a little" wider than the cross members.

Offline MartyMarPlv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1947 on: Feb 18, 2020, 08:07 PM »

That’s genius, great idea!

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1948 on: Feb 19, 2020, 07:15 AM »
I'm not sure what we are looking at here----how does that black support lock into place? And how does the piece with 2 bolts pivot from being perpendicular to the longer piece to become parallel with it. Maybe I am just being a bit slow here in the AM---been known to happen before!
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1949 on: Mar 04, 2020, 09:56 AM »
If anyone ever wondered if waxing the skis is worth the trouble, you might want to check this out.  Half the pulling resistance with a fresh wax. 

my smitty sled was getting hard to pull with my 2man clam,  My wife gave me some canning wax, parafin, and I melted the wax onto the ski's, used the iron to spread it around, then scrapped the excess, if that's what it's called, with a straight edge and now have a very easy pulling smitty sled. The canning wax works, I only used half of one of the bars that came in a box of four. Got plenty left for the next time. Wife says the canning wax can be found at dollar stores.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.