The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hungry Horse/Koocanusa?  (Read 1332 times)

Offline jimmerjammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hungry Horse/Koocanusa?
« on: Jan 25, 2010, 07:02 PM »
I was wondering if anyone ice fishes Hungry Horse of Lake Koocanusa, or if these big lakes even ice up at all anywhere. i have never been to either, but have seen some pictures of huge fish that come out of both of them, but only summertime pics.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hungry Horse/Koocanusa?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2010, 07:55 PM »
Neither. The problem is that "if" they freeze the water is being drawn down over the winter and you end up with the ice above the water. Have seen pictures of the water 6-8 feet below the ice.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:20 PM »
Exactly right, too great of water fluctuations, especially at Kookanuse. Now if you want to catch rainbows and bull trout in the fall, from late Sep into early Dec, that is when the lake is prime.  Troll Lyman plugs or big streamer near the surface and hang on.  WWW.Mofisch.com has all the info you need to be successful, just read the fishing reports.  Or hire Bob for a day, learn it firsthand and be an expert in 8 hours!
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline jimmerjammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:23 PM »
Cool, thanks guys. I would love to make it up there sometime, had a few friends from up there and they swore by koocanusa and how beautiful it is, not to mention the fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.