Author Topic: jig colors  (Read 1825 times)

Offline crappie_catcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
jig colors
« on: Dec 16, 2005, 03:15 PM »
I know some people do not like to give out there secrets to ice fishing but I was just wondering what color jigs do people have the most luck on. thanks crappie catcher

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: jig colors
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2005, 03:26 PM »
This year I have caught all my fish on the same jig.  I have been using a size 16 chartruse with green tip HT marmooska jig.  Anything with chartruse usually produces for me early in the season.  Last year towards the end of the ice I found a black jig worked best for me.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2005, 06:09 PM »
Haven't got a favorite color,I try and give e'm whatever color they want,on first ice its easy pickens for everybody,come January the 15th the story changes then ya work on that color thing,but Chartruse is one bad boy,if in doubt,change colors,just an opinion,

Jimmy

Offline FOOTDOC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2005, 07:08 PM »
Moon Glow jig # 12 with a bee moth, black on one side, white glow with red dot on the other side but in reality any jig as long as I have my Vexilar!

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2005, 09:20 PM »
For Me its not the color right now..im picking up alot more fish with a horizontal presentation...im killing them so far this season...i bagged 37 this morning .Ive been using the custom jigs, ratso #12  blood red...and the jammin jigs horizontal purple #10 purple tiger striped jig..I too use the marmooskas...i get alot more hookupswith the larger sizes though...i was catching them on the ratso without bait..those tails are the wiggliest, gotta love'm ;D

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2005, 09:29 PM »
My opinion......Dark days=Dark jigs. Bright days =bright jigs. You can't go wrong keeping flourescent orange, pink, chartruese, black, green and some flashy chrome in the box.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline iCeMaN...24/7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Toad Time!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2005, 09:49 PM »
My go to jig is a moon glitter #14 blaze orange with gold flake.  My other go to jig when times get tough is a custom made ice fly in sizes 16 and even 18, I usually paint these a natural color (black, brown, dark purple, etc.) with fingernail polish or just leave some plain lead...These two have been my main stay for a couple of years now...However, the marmooskas are a excellent choice as well!!!  I have some of these in sizes 12 through 18.

Check out this web site  http://www.marmish.ca/  they have an awesome assortment of jigs!!!
A bad day fishing beats a good day working!!! <///><

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2005, 10:02 PM »
I use a chartrues or black jig most of the time. I always start out with a heavy marmooska, wolfram or marmish in size 12. Then make adjustments from there, I hate to use a hook smaller than a 14.I'll use blue, purple orange or green, but I'm pretty basic most of the time, dark or bright. I'll buy all chartrues jigs and then paint some black or purple with nail polish. Who knows? Paul

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2005, 11:53 PM »
I'll use about any color, as long as it's chartreuse!  I've been experimenting with other colors, though.  I've seen some guys do really well with red jigs.

Has anyone ever used one of those Marmish rods?  They look kind of interesting.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.