Author Topic: looking for places to fish  (Read 2375 times)

Offline gatortamer

• IceShanty Rookie
looking for places to fish
« on: Mar 22, 2005, 09:36 AM »
Hey there
I moved here from NE Sask and am looking to get some fishing in.
Unfortunately I dont know any spots and where I have tried..well...it hasnt been good..
would like to gain any and all info that I possibly can
am looking for a place where the kidlette can catch her first fish
any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: looking for places to fish
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2005, 09:42 AM »
Welcome to Iceshanty Gatortamer!! Be sure to get onto MyFishfinder.com too(summer sister site to this one) Not sure where you are located but if Delta isn't too far it's your best bet for some fast perch action for the kids. 8)  :tipup:  :tipup:

Offline gatortamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2005, 09:44 AM »
thanks
we are in the st.vital area of winnipeg
willing to go pretty much anywhere for fish.. :D
moved here from the nipawin sask area
they had a pretty good year there for ice fishing with that 18lber comin out
but when we were there it was not too great but thats the way it goes

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2005, 09:51 AM »
Yeah that walleye was MASSIVE :o :o I'd have to recomend Delta for pure action do you have a skidoo? If not you have to hike a ways out but it's worth it for the tasty good sized perch and burbot with an outside shot at a waleye.

Offline gatortamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2005, 09:55 AM »
no unfortunately I dont own a sled anymore
but we can walk out easily enough
was wondering about this steamplant that is around winnipeg
have you ever fished around there before?
and if so how was it
where abouts is it

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2005, 10:00 AM »
I haven't fished there but I knoww it's on the red Blue Igloo is the guy to ask about the red he fishes it a lot. There are perch to be had within walking distance out at delta and the snow is pretty hard still anyways someone will help you with the Red I don't know it too well. Good luck and tightlines Gt

Duramax

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2005, 10:04 AM »
Welcome to IS and Manitoba... TH is bang on, if you want action go to Delta. It is about 1.5hr drive from St Vital, I also live in St Vital. If you want to get together sometime let me know, always interested in fishing with new people.

Your fishing options closer to Winnipeg are the Red and Whiteshell. If you want any specific info just ask most guys on here will share info no problem. I may be heading to the Red this weekend and you are welcome to join us, I will let you know details later in the week.

Offline gatortamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2005, 03:02 PM »
thanks duramax
would be great to get to know a few fellow fisher peoples

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2005, 08:56 PM »
Welcome aboard gatortamer.  I fish with my wife and three little people aged 5-9.  Starting closest to home, you may want to consider becoming a member at Fort Whyte (http://www.fortwhyte.org/fwNews.html).  The fishing there isn't fast and furious, but there is a lot to do, it is outdoors, and it is close to home.  I haven't gone ice fishing there yet, but at Morden, there is Lake Minnewasta.  It is a great crappie fishery.  They aren't big, but they put up a good fight on light tackle and there is often good success (my 9 year old has two Master Angler crappies from there in maybe half a dozen outings).

As Duramax mentions, there is Whiteshell Provincial Park.  I haven't fished there much, but Hunt Lake is easy access...it is a stocked trout lake and has numerous small perch.  There are others here that can give you better details on the Whiteshell than me though as my experience there is quite limited.

The Red River can have some decent action.  The most consistent action lately has been for sauger at Lockport.  The big down side there is the crowds.  I'd also be getting cautious of the ice there at this point.

Then there are the big lakes.  I've heard there can be very good action at Hnausa (about 1.5 hours north on Lake Winnipeg) for perch and some burbot.  Lake Manitoba can be very good at Delta (north of Portage la Prairie - there's directions in a thread further down) or Twin Beaches (essentially at St. Laurent off Hwy 6).  This winter has been a bit tougher access for the big lake though.

I hope this gets you started.  You've moved away from what I hear is a tremendous walleye fishery at Tobin.  I've been to Nipawin a few times...can't remember the names of folks from there off the top of my head though.  I grew up in Rosthern, SK.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline gatortamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2005, 04:26 AM »
Thanks alot...that will definately help out alot

yes I did leave what I would have to say in my 30+ years of fishin was probably the very best walleye hunting ground I have ever fished...My personal best through the ice was a 16-1/2 lb hawg and on open water was only 15....have some pics of each.
pike was always slow but huge when you did get'em
looking forward to these catfish I have heard so much about
and maybe meeting some new friends from fishing as well

Offline fishncamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2005, 01:56 PM »
Welcome
I would say that Red river north of Lockport  is a great place to take your kids shore fishing,hot dogs at Half Moon or Skinners,waterslides at Wet and Wild then a leisurly drive home down Henderson checking out garage sales :).Its about a thirty minute drive north of St.Vital up hwy 59.I live near Lockport and you can pm me if your going and I'll show you some good places. :)
Glen

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.