Author Topic: East Side Story Jan 14  (Read 2002 times)

Offline wood99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://i63.tinypic.com/xoeceo.jpg
East Side Story Jan 14
« on: Jan 14, 2011, 07:30 PM »
Fished Balsam Bay this morning.  Got off to a bit of a rough start, as I was drilling the fifth hole of the day a blade on the old 8" stikemaster decides to fall off......great guess we are not going mobile today, oh well at least we got 4 holes for our rods.  Started fishing shortly after 8.  Marked a few fish right away but couldn't get any takers.  Around 8:45 we decide to dig through the truck/tackle boxes to look for something to jimmy the auger blade back on.  Sure enough my buddy manages to find 2 bolts the right length and thread to get the auger back in commission.  Just as we start the repair we happen to look over at the Humminbird and notice a nice mark coming up to a still livetarget.  I reach over and give it a little rattle and WHAMO! Fish on!  A beauty 28" wally.

Things appear to be lookin' up, so we get the blade back on and get back to fishing.  20 min later I get another smack on the livetarget and get this 25" wally.

After 10 the bite stopped completely, saw a few more fish on the bird but no more hits, pretty sure they were small perch or sauger.  Were fishing in 14 FOW, decided to move around, but to no avail.  Tried two more areas with no results.  Packed it up around 1 and headed to South Beach for lunch.  Buffet was disappointing.  Might try Lake Manitoba for some Perch tomorrow.

Offline RYEDOG

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: East Side Story Jan 14
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2011, 09:44 PM »
Wow thats wicked! Were headin out sunday with the new hummingbird and live target baits hoping to slam some sumo wallys! How was the road condtions on 59 and the access passed the frazeld ice?

Offline wood99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2011, 11:41 PM »
How was the road condtions on 59 and the access passed the frazeld ice?

had no problems with the 4x4.  we left pretty early so no sure what things looked like by the end of the day.  no problems as of 1pm.

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2011, 10:18 AM »
We were out yesterday as well. Fished straight west of the launch. Pretty slow morning, marked a few here and there, lots of lookers. Went through the buckshot spoons, darters, jigs and nothing stood out above the rest. The buckshot's were actually scaring the fish away it seemed! We still managed 6 walleye between 3 of us, a 23", 3 @ 20", a 17" and a 19". Also had a couple perch and couple sauger. Fished from 9 till 2. Driving is still good out there, ounce the wind picks up going to drift in good. Seen if we can get out on sunday again.

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2011, 11:30 AM »
After 10 the bite stopped completely, saw a few more fish on the bird but no more hits, pretty sure they were small perch or sauger.  Were fishing in 14 FOW, decided to move around, but to no avail.  Tried two more areas with no results.  Packed it up around 1 and headed to South Beach for lunch.  Buffet was disappointing.

Thanks for the report woods - good to know people are catching.  Did you have the live target tipped with anything?

Also, keep us posted on the diving conditions.  :tipup:

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2011, 12:19 PM »
[q
Also, keep us posted on the diving conditions.  :tipup:
[
/quote]

2 to 14 fow beneath 24 inches of ice. Water is slightly stained depending where you are. Slight current near mouth. Overall diving condition are Freakin cold. LOL

Offline 40 Creek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2011, 12:23 PM »
Great story!! Nice fish!! Nice to see someone catching them!!

Offline wood99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2011, 05:08 PM »
Did you have the live target tipped with anything?

:tipup:

didnt have the target tiped with anything.  was workin well without.

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2011, 08:31 PM »
2 to 14 fow beneath 24 inches of ice. Water is slightly stained depending where you are. Slight current near mouth. Overall diving condition are Freakin cold. LOL

HA!  Ha! ha h.....a.....

You got me   :bow:

Offline MNTMAN12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2011, 12:12 AM »
Very nice fish and glad to see someone catching!
With all due respect tho...I am guessing that you kept the fish specially the 25" because all the snow on the body and eyes in that temp...you might as well keep em!
You did better than me anyways!
Good for ya!

Offline rainbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2011, 09:42 AM »
Great Fish + great Pics  @) Congrats on the master  :clap: :clap: How old is your Strikemaster , Was the bolt loose, or did it break off ?

Offline wood99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2011, 10:47 AM »
How old is your Strikemaster , Was the bolt loose, or did it break off ?
[/quote

The old beast had been real good to me over the years, pretty reliable auger, has never let me down.  The bolts came loose and popped out...i guess a little more preventative maintenance and I would have noticed.  The threads in the blade might be striped a bit i have to take a closer look.  can't see how that could happen very often tho.

Offline MNTMAN12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2011, 09:59 PM »
Go to Princess Auto and get a PTO 1/4" pin...that will fit the StrikeMaster!

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:43 AM »
Blades fell off, not the flyte/shaft.

If the bolts won't work good anymore just find bolts that will fit the hole & use lock nuts on them with a bit of the Blue Lock Tite on them. With the Blue Lock Tite, you'll still be able to get your blades off afterwards if you need to take them off to be sharpened. You may even be able to just use that Lock Tite with the bolts you still have & it'll solve your problem.

Offline MNTMAN12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2011, 05:38 PM »
Ahhh the blades....
Ya do what Darcy said because I had to do that with my z51 because the bolts were stripped so I used lock washers and blue lock tite!

Offline wood99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2011, 05:50 PM »
I'll make sure it gets done before the next outing.....good idea.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.