Author Topic: Attaching jigging lures  (Read 4328 times)

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Attaching jigging lures
« on: Oct 06, 2017, 08:31 PM »
Does anyone use the small swivels or lure attachers instead of tying on every lure change?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Attaching jigging lures
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2017, 08:53 PM »
smaller panfish jigs I tie.

bigger spoons for walleye I just use a snap swivel to keep line twist down. 
Don

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2017, 09:43 PM »
Tie, every time.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2017, 10:35 PM »
Tie

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2017, 06:42 AM »
Tried those little quick clips more trouble than they are worth! TIE.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2017, 07:30 AM »
Tie all horizontal jigs directly Trilene knot  ...although I have come across recommendations for a loop knot for tungsten jigs ..haven't given that a try yet . On spoons most have a split ring or a snap(no swivel) again tie directly to the snap or split ring .I use several rods with different set up/presentations so retying is minimal .

this may help

https://tyepro.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=Search%20-%20Brand&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=tyepro&utm_content=TYEPRO%20Branded

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Mittenman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2017, 08:33 AM »
I use a No Knot connector for everything other than teardrop and other very small lures. The one exception for larger lures is jig head lures I tie those directly to the line.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2017, 09:05 AM »
I always tie my jigs directly to my line.  On my spinning reels I cut a foot long piece of line off for a leader, tie my jig to the end, and then I connect the leader to my main line with a barrel swivel.  I tired this last year to see if it would help reduce how much my jig spins and it made a noticeable difference.  I tried this with several different jigs and compared them side by side with jigs that were tied directly to the line on another rod.  As for inline reels I just tie my jigs directly to the line.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2017, 09:29 AM »
For panfish jigs I tie direct.  If using a spoon or minnow style bait (rippin rap, jigging rap etc.) I use a small duo lock snap and try to have a swivel a few feet up the line to prevent line twist.  Slender spoons actually come with small duo snaps!  The snaps allow for quick changes and a slightly different action.  Split ring vs. no split ring can change the action slightly as well.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2017, 10:07 AM »
Tie all horizontal jigs directly Trilene knot  ...although I have come across recommendations for a loop knot for tungsten jigs ..haven't given that a try yet . On spoons most have a split ring or a snap(no swivel) again tie directly to the snap or split ring .I use several rods with different set up/presentations so retying is minimal .

this may help

https://tyepro.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=Search%20-%20Brand&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=tyepro&utm_content=TYEPRO%20Branded

Liked the looks of that tool got two of them on the way.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2017, 10:29 AM »
I fussed with the "quick" clips for a season and half way threw i just went back to tieing... I tie everything. Depending on the jig and line, i either use a palomar knot, or a trilene knot. To many lost fish with a cinch knot.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2017, 10:33 AM »
duolock snap for bigger lures, tie on for the smaller jigs

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2017, 10:38 AM »
I fussed with the "quick" clips for a season and half way threw i just went back to tieing... I tie everything. Depending on the jig and line, i either use a palomar knot, or a trilene knot. To many lost fish with a cinch knot.
On most ice jigs the eye is too small to use a Trilene knot because you have to go through twice.

If you're losing fish on an improved clinch knot, you aren't tying it correctly. I ice fish a lot of small farm ponds close to my house and regularly land 3-4 lb largemouth on 2 lb Trilene Micro Ice tied with a clinch knot.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2017, 10:50 AM »

I've been using mustad hoop snaps for soft and hard water without any issues for many years , perch , walleye and lakers , I have buds that I fish with prefer tying , if your successful with your method stick with it

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 2017, 11:52 AM »
On most ice jigs the eye is too small to use a Trilene knot because you have to go through twice.

If you're losing fish on an improved clinch knot, you aren't tying it correctly. I ice fish a lot of small farm ponds close to my house and regularly land 3-4 lb largemouth on 2 lb Trilene Micro Ice tied with a clinch knot.

No my issue with the cinch knot, is the tighter it gets... the weaker it gets, i don't plan to catch just a few fish ;) . Also if your using braid its guaranteed to come undone with a cinch. I generally use a double uni from braid main line to flouro for a leader, then use a trilene knot, but yes sometimes you are forced to use a cinch, but i cringe at it when i have to go that route. I dont use mono on anything any more, there are certainly benefits but its just not for me.

Do what works for you. 

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #16 on: Oct 12, 2017, 12:37 PM »
smaller panfish jigs I tie.

bigger spoons for walleye I just use a snap swivel to keep line twist down.

THIS ^^^ 
It just depends on the setup.  Small tungstens I use a surgeon's loop to prevent line twist, any larger spoons or hard baits I use a small snap. 
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 13, 2017, 06:33 AM »
I use a Spro swivel on the mainline with about a 4 ft Flourocarbon leader tied to the jig. I use the Palomar knot . I use this system summer and winter with no problems.
Oops! is too late.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 13, 2017, 09:26 AM »
Direct tie - trilene knot, tool like this:

Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Oct 13, 2017, 10:18 AM »
All depends. Finesse stuff I tie.   Otherwise I use a duolock snap. Greatest thing since sliced bread. ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #20 on: Oct 14, 2017, 07:11 AM »
Tie on, yes.
Snap swivels, yes.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #21 on: Oct 14, 2017, 02:47 PM »
For 51 years I had been taught and used the improved clinch knot. Four years ago I had a knot let go while catching a 30 pound plus lake trout.  I learned from the guides that deal with monster lakers daily all year around that the palomar knot is the hands down favorite.  For the past four years I have tied it and have not had a problem when the old clinch would have failed.  Once you tie the palomar a few times it gets easier and easier to tie.   It does limit a tiny bit of jig action but is doesn't seem to matter to the fish. I have even tried using a snap and it too seems to help although I do like the line tied directly to the eye of the hook. I don't use the swivel for a couple of reasons. It messes with my fine tuned fish finder and I can actually see the fish go for a look at the swivel a foot above my lure and then they swim away.  As for line twist, when I stop the jigging action, the jig will twirl in circles which does get the fishes attention and quite often the bite during the swiveling jig. My line twists little by the time it gets back to the reel. By the end of the day, no line twists and more fish than not. My buddy uses the same jig and uses a big old honkin' snap swivel and never out fishes me.

Something to think about, one's confidence has a large deal with how much activity you do. It's hard to beat good enthusiam when you are confident in your terminal tackle.
Thread killer

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 14, 2017, 03:10 PM »
For 51 years I had been taught and used the improved clinch knot. Four years ago I had a knot let go while catching a 30 pound plus lake trout.  I learned from the guides that deal with monster lakers daily all year around that the palomar knot is the hands down favorite.  For the past four years I have tied it and have not had a problem when the old clinch would have failed.  Once you tie the palomar a few times it gets easier and easier to tie.   It does limit a tiny bit of jig action but is doesn't matter to the fish. I have even tried using a snap swivel and it too seems to help although I do like the line tied directly to the eye of the hook.

More on that here:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=332748.msg3524938#msg3524938
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=6919.msg2766131#msg2766131
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91aqhBQFLPk
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 15, 2017, 08:44 AM »
I tie - I  use a blood knot - not sure that is the best but I have used it for years. Getting old and need glasses to see it but still can do it

I just switched line to fluorocarbon - but my leader last year was the same so I think I am good to go

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #24 on: Oct 15, 2017, 08:50 AM »
Another vote for the Palomar knot! :thumbsup: :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Oct 17, 2017, 05:21 AM »
My eyes aren't as sharp nor my fingers as nimble, so I use these lil guys. (They come in different sizes).,

Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 17, 2017, 08:49 AM »
My eyes aren't as sharp nor my fingers as nimble, so I use these lil guys. (They come in different sizes).,

I tried these but i have a hell of a time getting lures off when i want to switch, and i am super anal retentive about buggered up line from catching fish, just a wiered fishing OCD thing i have i guess.

The other nice thing about a palomar knot is you can move it around the eyes and secure it to get a better pitch on your lure to fine tune angle and hook set of your presentation.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.