Author Topic: 2013 West Loughborough Watch  (Read 14676 times)

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
2013 West Loughborough Watch
« on: Dec 28, 2012, 03:16 PM »
Figured I would get this started, the last few years the west end has had fishable ice Jan12-15 like clockwork.  Even with the warm weather last year the west end was still on time.  I think we are on pace for 2nd/3rd week of Jan, looks like it is setting up nicely, here is a pic from the launch today

@jzuliniak

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 2013 West Loughborough Watch
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2012, 04:06 PM »
awesome!  thanks for the report jz!

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2012, 08:02 PM »
I'm also patiently waiting and its nice having someone give reports as it is a letdown to drive 25 mins just to see open water.Thanks and keep posting pics as it progresses into JAN.
ECB

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2012, 08:08 PM »
I'm also patiently waiting and its nice having someone give reports as it is a letdown to drive 25 mins just to see open water.Thanks and keep posting pics as it progresses into JAN.
Will do, I live 5mins from the loughborough dr launch so as soon as there is anything to report I will be posting it in this thread.
@jzuliniak

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2013, 12:46 PM »
Happy new year!
Here is a pic from today, about 500m of the laker grounds have ice now, the leading edge of the ice is over 50-60fow.  I did not go out to see how thick the ice was, way too soon for that but  another week or so I will head out and check ice thickness.
@jzuliniak

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2013, 04:48 PM »
WOW! what a difference a few days have made. I really have the itch to get out there now!
ECB

Offline aj dagnall

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2013, 01:05 PM »
wont be long now

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2013, 01:16 PM »
wont be long now

Ya we havent been above zero in a while and getting to the - teens at night.  I still think it will be another week to 10 days before I will be out there fishing. In a day or two I will venture out a couple hundred feet to the first drop off and see how thick the ice is. 
@jzuliniak

Offline aj dagnall

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2013, 01:41 PM »
Thats great. Thanks alot. Maybe ill see you out there this year.

Offline kamaro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2013, 02:11 PM »
the guy with the one cottage about three back of the boat launch was shoveling off a rink today
My Wife
"Its like He has ADD and can't sit still for 1 min but he can look down a hole in the ice for HOURS"

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2013, 02:28 PM »
the guy with the one cottage about three back of the boat launch was shoveling off a rink today
saw that, from the launch out maybe 100ft is only 2-3fow so I suspect there is a decent amount of ice there, the real test will be where it drops off to 20fow then 40+ fow. Couple more cold nights and I will find out.   At first ice on the laker grounds there is always still open water down towards the middle of the lake but  I like to be looking off into the distance wondering, is that open water? or just light reflecting off the ice? Right now you can hear the waves crashing into the edge of the ice, way to close for even a recon mission.
@jzuliniak

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2013, 08:42 AM »
Drove by the west end today and there was ice cover as far as I could see, guess that -22 with no wind last night helped.  Still not safe IMO especially with the forecast snow today, so dont do anything stupid this weekend but certainly encouraging for the following weekend.
@jzuliniak

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:57 AM »
Yikes!!!!

Went by again and was going to snap some pics of the newly formed ice when I saw this...

yup thats a person out there,  I sure hope he is a local who knows the lake better than me because there is no way in hell I would be out there that far considering about 25ft to the left of him was open water yesterday afternoon!  Good luck my friend and if you are on this board let us know what you saw out there.
@jzuliniak

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2013, 10:01 AM »
WOW! I'm hoping that is a survival suit they are wearing!

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2013, 10:17 AM »
WOW! I'm hoping that is a survival suit they are wearing!

Ya he appeared to have all the gear so that is encouraging but to be that far out by yourself when it was open water close by hours before?  Like I said maybe he knows something I dont, and somebody has to be the first and go check it out but I think its a little soon.  Fishing is probably awesome though so lets hope he limits out in 15mins and gets off the ice.
@jzuliniak

Offline kamaro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2013, 10:51 AM »
i just seen him also about 15 min ago .... i thought it was you jz.... he was drilling and spudding holes when i seen him ........ the ice is open at the point like 600 yards out and the geese are up on the ice ... still alittle leery to venture out yet
My Wife
"Its like He has ADD and can't sit still for 1 min but he can look down a hole in the ice for HOURS"

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:10 AM »
Went by again and was going to snap some pics of the newly formed ice when I saw this...
yup thats a person out there, 
Sweet...the ice must be safe  ::)  I hope that guy makes it off ok.  A fish ain't worth your life!
Tight lines

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:15 AM »
No Kamaro, not me man, I will need a few more days before I am brave enough (unless this guy posts on here there is 4in of blue ice :) But seriously you can see in the photo where he is standing the ice is a different colour, its pretty new, and like I said a few steps to the east was open water this time yesterday.
@jzuliniak

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:44 AM »
Ya he appeared to have all the gear so that is encouraging but to be that far out by yourself when it was open water close by hours before?  Like I said maybe he knows something I dont, and somebody has to be the first and go check it out but I think its a little soon.  Fishing is probably awesome though so lets hope he limits out in 15mins and gets off the ice.

Yes even with all the gear still wouldn't catch me out that early let alone by myself! All the power to him, just hope he makes it off ok :)

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2013, 12:00 PM »
I havent seen any Helicopters flying over head or heard any sirens so I am sure he is fine lol.  He will probably read all these posts and think what are all these old ladies worrying about. ;D  I really hope it is someone from this board because I cant wait for the report. 
@jzuliniak

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2013, 12:02 PM »
haha that is good news! Agreed, I hope it's solid and we get to hear about it! Otherwise I'm with you on waiting at least a few more days before venturing out!

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2013, 12:59 PM »
depending on a "good report" i might venture out there on sunday but not near that newly formed ice unless by some miracle its 5" thick by sunday lol and someone confirms it before me
ECB

Offline seoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2013, 06:12 PM »
only took it getting to -20
SEOO

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2013, 06:26 PM »
only took it getting to -20
Was that you out there SEOO?
@jzuliniak

Offline seoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2013, 06:30 PM »
haha nope im afraid not
SEOO

Offline kamaro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2013, 12:22 PM »
he was back today he was out at like 9ish but gone by 11 looks like hes from the brockville, rockport, gan,  area by the stickers on his truck but i could be wrong ..... i have stickers from a place in smithfalls on my truck and i get asked if that's where I'm from all the time
My Wife

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2013, 01:19 PM »
he was back today he was out at like 9ish but gone by 11 looks like hes from the brockville, rockport, gan,  area by the stickers on his truck but i could be wrong ..... i have stickers from a place in smithfalls on my truck and i get asked if that's where I'm from all the time

Interesting, thanks for the update Kamaro, I did a driveby around noon and didnt see anyone out there, nice to see these crazy winds have blown most of the snow cover off though so at least the adventurous will be able to see the ice conditions a little better.  I think at somepoint this weekend I will go out and spud some holes.
@jzuliniak

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2013, 01:28 PM »
Just one quick question about parking. Do the locals give you a hard time if you park on the side of the road by that boat launch in the pic? i dont want to make anyone angry. If not where is the closest place to park to that launch? i also may venture out sat or sunday and check ice and maybe get a line wet.
ECB

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 04, 2013, 01:36 PM »
There are some areas where there are no parking signs and if its during the week try not to park infront of someone's mail box but other than that you can park there.  The key is to be respectful, i.e no garbage, keep the noise to a minimum in the early hours, and dont block people's driveways.  This is really the only access point close to the Laker grounds if that street gets shut down we are F*%ked.
@jzuliniak

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 04, 2013, 01:46 PM »
Ok, good to know. Thanks JZ maybe i will see you tomorrow if you're out there spuddin away.
ECB

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.