Author Topic: Humminbird 788ci and 596cdi  (Read 28700 times)

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
Re: Humminbird 788ci and 596cdi
« Reply #30 on: Jan 19, 2012, 12:43 PM »
I FINALLY got to use my 788 on the ice this weekend.  All I got to say is HOLY CRAP!  I thought I had the world by the nuts when I was using my ICE 35.  This is even better.  Having more colors, GPS, and the option of using the vertical function as well as the flasher function was awesome.  I am going to sell my ICE 35 and get another conversion kit for my 345c that I have on the front of the boat and use that for a spare.  I was very impressed.

You can use both frequencies at the same time too and adjust the sensitivity of the wide angle independent of the narrow cone. If you turn on the RTS (real time sonar) it will show a vertical bar on the right of the graph. I've been using my 787 for two years now, don't really see a need for an Ice only unit anymore. I do get interference from my FL18 some times, but I can usually filter it out between the two units IR.

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Oct 12, 2012, 08:24 PM »
Just in case people are reading this thread for info.   I didn't have great results with my setup and contacted Humminbird about it.  They said that you can only connect down imaging transducers to a down imaging unit.  You cannot use an iceducer without risking damage.

Offline ds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Oct 13, 2012, 06:53 AM »
Thanks Bennettc   I have the same unit and was planning on doing the same thing as you. Guess I'll save my money and stick with the FL8.   Thats too bad though its great on the boat   why bother putting the flasher option and ice mode in there if you cant use the ice-ducer  maybe they will fix with a software upgrade...

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Oct 13, 2012, 06:30 PM »
I was told to use a down imaging transducer while ice fishing.  I'm not sure if I will buy one though.

Offline swillems

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Oct 27, 2012, 01:42 PM »
Thanks Bennett!!  Damn, I struggled with this setup last year a couple times and now Humminbird confirms it WILL NOT work with DI units.... >:(  Well it looks like I have an XI 9 20 ice ducer for sale.....

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Oct 29, 2012, 03:18 PM »
I might be interested in taking that ice transducer off your hands.  Sent PM

Offline massillonbuckeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Oct 30, 2012, 09:29 PM »
I cant send a PM but if Camo doesn't take it, I'd be interested.  Thank you.

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Oct 31, 2012, 03:50 PM »
swillems, it WILL work, you just risk damage to your head unit using an ice ducer on a down imaging depth finder.  Up to each individual whether they're willing to take that risk or not.  That's the only reason I bought a 788ci HD instead of a 788ci HD DI.  I wanted to use my depthfinder all year, instead of having one for ice and one for open water.

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Nov 06, 2012, 12:59 PM »
Camo,
I use the exact same unit and love it, got rid of my ICE 35 and use the 788.  I find myself using the vertical mode more than the flasher mode, especially since there is the little window that is real time on the side and then the scrolling flasher next to it so I can see history.
Great investment.
If you want a country run by religion....Move to Iran.

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Nov 06, 2012, 08:36 PM »
smbrickner,
Glad you like your 788, I think I'm going to love mine.  I'm sure I'll be using the graph mode most of the time also.  Also, if you make the RTS window wide, it is super sensitive and jigs and fish will really POP out at you (see my picture).  You'll also notice I changed the background color to black, which seems to make things stand out much clearer also (and also doesn't blind you).  I'm also going to love having the lakemaster map right on the unit.  For the lakes I fish here in South Dakota, lakemaster is HUGE!  Other screen I think I'll use is the split screen with the zoom feature/whole water column.
Eventually I will mount my unit on a Humminbird shuttle and their portable soft pack, but for now I crafted up something that will get me by for a while.  I got around to taking some pictures tonight that I've attached below:

Here's the 788ci HD all packed up and ready for transport (it'll fit inside a bucket for more protection)

Here's the mapping screen

Here's the screen in graph mode with the wide RTS window on the right

Here's the split screen with bottom zoom on the left

Here's the flasher mode

And here's a couple pictures of the shuttle I built

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Nov 21, 2012, 12:14 PM »
I am now wondering the best way to make the awkward stiff corded down imaging transducers hang level in the hole.  Any ideas or pictures?

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 21, 2012, 03:00 PM »
You most likely won't get it to 'hang' level.  You'll have to fabricate a support arm or something to hold it at the bottom of the hole.  And good luck getting it nice and level, but some guys will stick a bubble level on the transducer or support arm.

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Nov 26, 2012, 12:57 PM »
Here is what I have rigged up so far.  It is some bendable copper tubing from my old refrigerator water line, zip ties and a float.  It hangs pretty level in a garbage can full of water.  I can bend the tubing help keep it level if needed.  I have a butter knife on there as added weight.  I will probably use washers for weight and wrap the whole cord/pipe with black electrical tape.  I have 2 feet of tubing now and could add an extension if needed.

I thought about an "arm" system but you would have to have a level base to sit the flasher on and that may not always be possible.  What do you think?  Any other suggestions?

Offline marapoint

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Nov 26, 2012, 02:35 PM »
Here's what I did - after trying a dozen different things. The Pic is of an Extentable Aluminum Transducer Bracket. You just simply screw the transducer into the lowest hole and use a piece of straight edge along the surface of the ice. I get almost 24" of depth into the hole - most times its not necessary if your drilling 8" or better. Going on 5 years and still as good as new - best part - super easy to level.
pm me if ya need more info or Pic's. Best,
bobby

Here's where to get it:

http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/387/sully-transducer-brackets-for-outboard-motors-reviews/reviews.htm

"Is anybody alive out there"
The Boss, Bruce Springsteen

Offline Douger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Nov 30, 2012, 01:58 PM »
Bennettc, I think if I have followed the discussion correctly and based on the tranducer in the picture, you have a 788ci HD DI.  Have you tried it out in a fishing body of water, not moving, as if it were in a hole in the ice, in the different modes to include ice fishing and are you happy with the results.  I am between the 788ci HD and the DI models, leaning toward the DI but want dual use for ice fishing.  The 788 ci HD appears to be a no brainer and you can get the ice ducer for it; it's the DI model, which I think I really want, that has me not sure.  Thanks.

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Nov 30, 2012, 04:01 PM »
Douger, I have both units.  A 788ci HD and also a 788ci HD DI.  I would personally recommend the 788ci HD without down imaging, simply for the fact that it is compatible with the ice transducer.  With an actual ice transducer, you'll be way more likely to move around and hole-hop while ice fishing since you won't have to do anything to 'set up' your transducer at each spot making sure it is pointing straight down, like you'd have to with the down image transducer.  I just don't like having my options limited with the 788ci HD DI not accepting the ice transducer.  The two models are identical, other than the down imaging.  I'd say the benefit of being compatible with an ice transducer is more of a benefit than having a unit with down imaging 'trying' to make it work for ice fishing.  That's my opinion anyways.

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 01, 2012, 02:30 PM »
I have not tested the unit other than in a trash can to test how it floats. 

Honestly I really like the down imaging in the boat.  I'm not sure if I would give that up to make it dual use. 

I already have a vexilar that I use.  The humminbird is a 597ci HD DI combo.  I am more interested in getting it set up for my Dad and brother In Law who I fish with.  They don't have electronics of there own.  I like the idea of having the GPS waypoints and contour maps on the ice. 

A portable kit and transducer will cost almost as much as an fl8, vx1 or showdown unit. 

Offline Douger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 02, 2012, 08:23 AM »
Thanks for the replies CamoHunter and Bennettc.  Although I really enjoy ice fishing, living in Virginia/Wash, DC area we don't see much ice so most of my use would be on the boat, that's what draws me to the DI unit as Bennettc noted.  But the non-DI gives you even more options with the ice transducer and possibly the QuadraBeam Plus transducer also.  CamoHunter, what frequency are you running on the ice, do you use the 200/83 blended, or the 200 and 83 split sonar view or just the 200 narrow beam or a combination of them all or the flasher mode.  I do most of my ice fishing up on Lake Champlain, Shoreham, VT area in February every year, sparce ice last year; It would be nice to have the GPS bring me back to the previous years' hot spots.

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 02, 2012, 06:31 PM »
I mostly use the 200kHz narrow beam.  It's a 20 degree cone angle.  I won't use the flasher screen hardly ever, you get the same effect on the RTS window, only it is vertical in fashion.  Depending on the depth I'm fishing, I like the sonar view with the RTS window on the right.  The RTS window is basically like a vertical sonar, like the Showdown flashers.  Besides that screen, I also like the split screen sonar and zoom.  About the only time I use the 83kHz is if I'm searching for fish hopping from hole to hole, just to get a little wider search.

One thing I worry about with the down imaging transducer in the hole, is your line getting tangled in it when brining up a fish.  It's such a long narrow thing, it'll take up a fair portion of the hole. 

By and large, no matter what model you buy, the biggest benefit is having the Lakemaster or Navionics maps right on the unit, and have it preloaded with all the waypoints you need. 

Another thing to think about, if you get the 798ci HD SI, it is compatible with the ice transducer also.  And would have down imaging and side imaging on the boat.  Though your budget will likely affect the unit you purchase. 

Offline Douger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 07, 2012, 12:31 PM »
CamoHunter, thanks for the response and info.  I have discovered that Lowrance has recently introduced the Elite 7 HDI which I will research as I currently have Lowrance equip.  A little wider unit though.  Unfortunately I don't think it will be available until after hardwater season.  And I may just decide to convert to Humminbird anyway.  Decisions, decisions.

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 07, 2012, 12:40 PM »
No problem.  See if you can look at some of the mapping products for the lakes you fish most frequently.  For my area, Lakemaster takes the cake hands down.  Other areas it might be navionics.  Since humminbird and lakemaster are owned by the same company now, future lakemaster chips won't be compatible with lowrance units.  That, and my future wishlist for Minnkota's iPilot Link and it's compatibility with humminbirds, basically made my decision for me to go humminbird.  I have used Lowrances though and I like them well also. 

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 08, 2012, 11:08 AM »
This is pretty handy too:

Offline ds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:24 AM »
Just curious how using the DI transducer is working out for you guys--its bugging the heck out of me that my 597 di sits in the box    I should have done my homework better before I made my choice   at least I saw this thread before I bought the ice ducer

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:10 AM »
I did get my 597 on the ice with the DI transducer I rigged up.  It seemed to give accurate results and balanced good on my float.  I used my vex most of the day but the humminbird worked when I tested it.  I didn't experiment with many settings.  I just put it in "Ice Fishing Mode" and adjusted the sensitivity as needed.  A few more times out and I'll have a better idea.  The vex seems to work better so far.

Offline JOBBER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 20, 2013, 04:21 PM »
These are the 1st posts I have seen where someone has actually use a Down Imaging locator. I have been considering a 596c HD DI for soft water and would like to use it for hard.

According to the manual you can set it to “ice fishing” mode – circular flasher graphics. It does not elaborate. Does it use the 455 kHz / 16° @ -10db transducer beam?

From what I have read, the DI beams are very narrow and orientated front to back. For actual readings a craft must be moving 2 MPH.
Based on the above I was wondering if anyone has used a stick (or similar mechanism to rotate the transducer 360º in their hole?

Offline Mudslide

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:43 PM »
These are the 1st posts I have seen where someone has actually use a Down Imaging locator.

From what I have read, the DI beams are very narrow and orientated front to back. For actual readings a craft must be moving 2 MPH.
Based on the above I was wondering if anyone has used a stick (or similar mechanism to rotate the transducer 360º in their hole?

I've heard the same thing. DI not nearly as useful as traditional sonar when stationary. Who's using their dsi's for icefishing and how useful are they?
[img width=257 height=80]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc495/gert27/Stcroix-1-1.jpg[img width=257 height=80]

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:41 PM »
i have a 768? b& w, i have always used my regular transducer quardrabeam and love it ;D
i mounted it to a old tip up that i took the spool off no problems! love all the options
dont think you need to buy a special ice ducer jmo  :tipup:
bought the portable kit , battery and bag from hb

Offline Channel Z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Jan 25, 2013, 01:14 AM »
I'm using a 385ci DI and really like it. DI mode is useless for hardwater but I bought that for softwater fishing. I prefer the split zoom screen. Rigged the DI ducer up on a dowel rod and use 2 broom clips to hold it vertical from the side of the case I set up to carry my ATV battery and store the head unit for transport. Works great and no major problem when hole hopping. Looking forward to getting the HB carry case with gel battery.

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 25, 2013, 08:27 AM »
What have been the best settings for the frequency and things with the DI transducer.  I am still experimenting.

Offline Channel Z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Jan 26, 2013, 02:41 AM »
I disable any screen that uses the DI mode.  For the sonar displays I set the background to black and sensitivity adjusted for jig I'm using at any time.  I find 200 mhz frequency is better for my use and the 455mhz or what ever it is is not so good.  I cranked the sensitivity on that one to the max of 10 and will check it out today.  If using a vertical jig with small sonar signature then I set a higher sensitivity and if horizontal or large spoon or jig then less sensitivity.  I prefer color pallet 3 and set sensitivity so the jig is showing green.  If I see a fish come up and it's green then probably a dink but if it's red, then hold on as it'll be a biggin.  May mess with DI mode if the bite is slow today as I'm looking to see it I can find a hump in the area I'm fishing.  Was going to wave it around and spin it around to the sides of the holes to see if I can see any structure near by.  Found a spot loaded with dinks the last 2 weekends at the bottom of a drop off but hoping to find where the biggins are. Beware of making DI pallet changes when not in a DI screen.  It will lock the unit up and require a reboot.  Have had this happen multiple times in live and simulator mode.  Sometimes requires a factory reset to recover properly.  That is a PIA and I called Humminbird about it.  Have yet to hear back from them on this issue.  Also the display can get funky if you have warm water from meltoff going into the hole.  The density change will all but wipe out any signal return from the jig.  Need to swirl the ducer around to get colder water to it or drop it down lower.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.