Author Topic: Line selection  (Read 734 times)

Offline Joshua.lee.jordan

• IceShanty Rookie
Line selection
« on: Dec 27, 2012, 02:22 PM »
Hey. I need some help on deciding what weight line to use. I have never been trout or pike fishing through the ice. So weight is everyone using out there?
Anything helps.
Josh

Offline icing_perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Line selection
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2012, 02:26 PM »
It would help to specify what you are fishing for and how.  For smaller trout 4-8 lb mono is good.  For lake trout 12-20 briad or mono depending on depth.  For pike on tip-ups your standard 20+ tip-up line, for jigging 6+ braid works and for mono probably 10+ with leader would be a good start.  For panfish 2-4 lb mono works great.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2012, 02:30 PM »
I am going to 11 mile and fishing for trout and pike. I just got to the area so I am really not sure what is around. I have 4, 6 and 8 LBS mono. Should I be using braid>

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2012, 02:31 PM »
And I am not using tip-ups.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2012, 04:12 PM »
I use 6lb mono at 11-mile.  Basically I use 6lb all the time everywhere. For deadsticking you might want to use a 4lb flouro leader. You will break some off on 4lb if you get in a hurry.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Husker95

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2012, 06:17 PM »
I have used the specialty ice lines in the past but I'm not sure they're worth the extra expense/hassle.  For the last few years I have used 6 lb clear Trilene Easy Cast all year long for trout at 11 Mile - soft and hard water.  When I'm going for pike its 12 lb mono with a 15 lb fluoro leader.  Some guys use steel and do fine as well.   

Offline Walleyechaser14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2012, 07:37 PM »
For trout when the water is super clear which it usually is I use 4 lb mono or flourocarbon.  You have to have your drag set pretty loose and be patient when playing a big fish.  You can use 6lb too but if you do I would use flourocarbon.

As for Pike I like using 10-12 lb mono with a 20 lb leader of Fireline crystal.  You can use 15-20 flourocarbon leader too.

Good luck!

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2012, 07:45 PM »
Because of the water clarity at 11 Mile I use 4 lb. 100% P-Line fluorocarbon. The main thing is to keep it out of the crack at the bottom of the hole when playing a fish. I switched to fly reels so I don't use or need a drag. I use a tip-up with 30 lb. or higher braided Dacron tied to an equally suited swivel and wire leader with two treble hooks for pike. If you are new to ice, be aware of the pressure ridges. They can be fine to cross over in the morning, only to have open water in spots later in the afternoon. The reason I mention this is that the temperatures range between 30 to 50 degrees night and day on any given day. It can be 15 F, but the sun tends to thaw things out during the afternoon regardless of what the thermometer reads because you are above 8,500'. Bottom line, be safe. No fish is worth dying for unless you are starving. Ice was 13" a couple days ago. You would have to try very hard to fall through at this point. Good luck, tight lines, and Happy New Year!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.