New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: The BEST " PERCH LAKE " In New York For SLOBS !!!  (Read 25217 times)

Offline sgarri7777

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: The BEST " PERCH LAKE " In New York For SLOBS !!!
« Reply #30 on: Mar 04, 2008, 04:44 PM »
Every lake mentioned in this thread with the possible exception of Seneca (and i may be wrong there) had
fantastic ice fishing for months every winter. Forget global warming, how about new york warming.
I've only lived up here 8 years and the trend is good ice comes later and later. I got no agenda it just pisses me off I live in upstate new york and have to worry in mid January if there is enough ice to fish. Rant over.
Best slob perch I've caught has been at Oneida  but its a hit or miss thing as anyone who has fished there knows.

Offline hardwater Rick

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE SMALL ONES BACK!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: Mar 04, 2008, 04:50 PM »
My final Answer !!!!!!!  there is just to many to choose from, This is exactly why this is just a great state for the outdoors, The perch are everywhere, Next question
Where is the best place in New York for Walleyes  I say between Erie and Oneida
size wise Erie, eaters Oneida, I never fished either, But I read a lot on Ice Shanty
If anyone wants to welcome be a board there vessel I will gladly except.. Boy Am I pushy, Eyedoctor still owes me a zillion trips..right Pete? paaaaleze...  sold my boat 2 years ago, miss it dearly..

Just to many good waters in new York  What a great place.....   Rick

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Mar 04, 2008, 06:53 PM »
1. Seneca
2. Irondequoit bay
3. Sodus bay

As usual, got to agree with Brian. Although Seneca rarely freezes over anymore there are 16" perch in there and in Lake Ontario so every Bay off of it has the potential for the "Big One".
Brian, saw your dad, brother, and his son out on the Victor Ponds Sat. Hope all goes well for him this week....   

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Mar 04, 2008, 07:01 PM »
seneca is the lake.
it's a tough nut to crack, you'll have to pay your dues to learn how to really get into them.
the bait shops will point you in the right direction, but the guys who really know play their cards close to the vest.

I remember the good old days and Jip "Japps" Marina. It's probably changed after Roy's death, but you would be hard pressed to get any useful info outta him. Amen.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #34 on: Mar 04, 2008, 07:21 PM »
My final Answer !!!!!!!  there is just to many to choose from, This is exactly why this is just a great state for the outdoors, The perch are everywhere, Next question
Where is the best place in New York for Walleyes  I say between Erie and Oneida
size wise Erie, eaters Oneida, I never fished either, But I read a lot on Ice Shanty
If anyone wants to welcome be a board there vessel I will gladly except.. Boy Am I pushy, Eyedoctor still owes me a zillion trips..right Pete? paaaaleze...  sold my boat 2 years ago, miss it dearly..

Just to many good waters in new York  What a great place.....   Rick

I don't know about a zillion but I'll get you at least one this year. I have a long period (May and June) between my first two MWC tourneys.
Pete Lewis

Offline gut-n-gill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Mar 04, 2008, 08:21 PM »
of places i have fished seneca by far. but i believe the 2 last state records came from erie.

seneca
skinnyatlas  lol  can't spell it
owasco

have another that nobody mentioned so it must be a secret lol

Offline Spikehorn11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Mar 05, 2008, 04:38 AM »
The only place I really fish in Oneida Lake and I have got some monsters there.

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Mar 05, 2008, 04:57 AM »
I couldn't believe that perch got that big until I started fishing Erie. We set our personal size limit at 11" and usually load the cooler up. Our best fish measured 17". Seneca, comes in a close second but there are a lot more in Erie. Third place goes to Sodus, nice size fish, but not quite as big as the other two lakes.

Offline The Farmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Mar 05, 2008, 05:50 AM »
1.Chaumont bay
2.1000 islands

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Can I catch another one daddy?"
« Reply #39 on: Mar 05, 2008, 07:40 AM »
I'll second what farmer said, chamount bay has slobs, and big numbers. I've also caught some real fatties in red lake, jefferson county

Offline The Farmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Mar 05, 2008, 10:27 AM »
yea, i too have caught a few porkers out of there. Some decent eating sized eyes too

Offline troutaddict33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Mar 05, 2008, 03:11 PM »
I will be alone on this but I have to say Glen Lake for slobs... if you've fished it you know what im talking about... zero throwbacks... literally (if you know where to fish it) The ones i catch are rarely under 10 inches and get much larger. For consistant large perch it has my vote!!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #42 on: Mar 05, 2008, 04:12 PM »
no body has mentioned canadarago have seen them over 16" I fished alot of bodies of water big perch  in many of them

Offline hoythunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 05, 2008, 06:40 PM »
anywhere there are good sized perch and in numbers  is a good lake in my opinion

Offline fishit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Mar 05, 2008, 07:45 PM »
My list is split hardwater/softwater
 Hardwater: 1)Sodus, 2)Chaumont, 3)Oneida
 Softwater: 1)Keuka, 2)Seneca, 3) Oneida.

All things being said the largest perch I ever saw caught came off shore on Canandaigua.
you can't beat the late fall bite on Oneida for sheer numbers of fish.
.. Go away or I shall taunt you a second time...

Offline Locoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 05, 2008, 07:57 PM »
Lake Erie gets my vote.We catch consistant numbers of 12"-13" perch and 13" and 14" fish are always in the mix.....I love to icefish BUT spring is near and I need to get on my perch grounds....Sorry!!!!!
><> I was born to be a FISHERMAN !!!! <><

Offline ehealy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #46 on: Mar 06, 2008, 10:50 AM »
 agree that Ontario isnt the best water to eat fish from. The Factories and nucluear plant all DUMP yons of waste into that lake and people say they wouldnt do that but they do. thats why th DEC says to only eat a certain amount of fish every month from that body of water.

I would say ontario isn't the greatest perch destination but i'll also tell you that they don't taste any different than any other lake.  the nuclear plant(not nucluear) has nothing to do with the amount of mercury in the lake.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #47 on: Mar 06, 2008, 11:25 AM »
There are no health advisories regarding Yellow Perch from Lake Ontario.

This from the NYS Department of Health.

Lake Ontario [9] American eel, channel
catfish, carp, lake trout over
25”, brown trout over 20”
and chinook salmon
Eat none PCBs, Mirex, Dioxin
White sucker, rainbow trout,
smaller lake trout, smaller
brown trout and coho
salmon over 25”
Eat no more than one meal
per month
PCBs, Mirex, Dioxin

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline stevenm2007

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Love The Ice !!!
« Reply #48 on: Mar 07, 2008, 06:04 AM »
Id doesnt really matter about WHAT FISH but to me , If it says That ANY fish isnt okay to eat and SOme are okay ,,, My vote is  to not eat any from there... There isnt any advisories in alot of other lakes and I will stick to the lakes that dont have them!!! and that doesnt make that lake bad or make the fish taste different but just my opinion. I like perch any way I get them but was wondering what people thought of for big perch LAKES. I would like to try fishing other lakes and BIG PERCH are my fav to eat . I only fish Oneida usally because of the distance away from were I live but after 20 years fishing the same lake, Would like to get out to different spots in Ny and see different areas.  SOOOO MUCHHH To Explore In this state.

Offline dukhnter8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Mar 07, 2008, 07:02 AM »
Everyone talks about Ontario having advisores, but Onieda is connected to Onondaga lake which is worse in my opinion than ontario. There are ongoing studies that have shown walleye and smallmouth movements from Onondaga to Onieda. I can dig up the studies if there is interest.
The advisories are not all that great, to test fish they grind the whole fish and test the slurry made. I don't know about the rest of you guys on here but I don't blend my fish then drink them, I fillet them and take out all the fat and such.

Offline Cheeks13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Mar 07, 2008, 07:32 AM »
You are right dukhnter8. The guts are included in the grindings that are tested. Guts include the liver, and we all know what the liver does. Also, because there are so many plants( both nuclear and non ) on Lake Ontario I think there is more focus on said lake. The the nuke plants and others are so montitored by the NRC and DEC and other organizations that I am comfortable eating fish out of the lake with no second thoughts. I'm sure alot of other Lake Ontario fisherman feel the same. Cheeks out! 8)

Liberty or death-what we so proudly hail-once you provoke her-rattling of her tail-never begins it-never but once engaged-never surrender-showing the fangs of rage!

Offline reich607

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Mar 07, 2008, 01:42 PM »
Everyone talks about Ontario having advisores, but Onieda is connected to Onondaga lake which is worse in my opinion than ontario. There are ongoing studies that have shown walleye and smallmouth movements from Onondaga to Onieda. I can dig up the studies if there is interest.
The advisories are not all that great, to test fish they grind the whole fish and test the slurry made. I don't know about the rest of you guys on here but I don't blend my fish then drink them, I fillet them and take out all the fat and such.
I would be interested in those studies. I fish onieda frequently. :sick:

Offline reich607

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Mar 07, 2008, 01:47 PM »
The best perch that I have tasted came out of Lake George.

Offline The Farmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Mar 07, 2008, 02:01 PM »
Ive never eaten fish from anywhere other than ontario and the st.lawrence.

Offline dukhnter8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Mar 07, 2008, 03:03 PM »
Here's a couple of the studies

http://www.ourlake.org/html/seneca_river1.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=mQ8-c2PB1SgC&pg=PA462&lpg=PA462&dq=fish+movements+from+onieda+lake+to+onondaga+lake+in+ny&source=web&ots=8kIFenFpJe&sig=7XKcw48cbryP5nlbGBONLeq-oJ4&hl=en  Down on the bottom of the page it says that "fin-clipped walleye believed to have originated in Onieda Lake have been collected by the NYSDEC in Onondaga Lake (Dan Bishop, NYSDEC, personal communication).

I did a google search and found a few

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=fish+movements+from+onieda+lake+to+onondaga+lake+in+ny.

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #55 on: Mar 07, 2008, 05:54 PM »
i agree we fish for salmon out of ontario and ive havnt found a slamon that tastes better

I've yet to ever taste 1 that didn't make me vomit
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #56 on: Mar 07, 2008, 07:21 PM »
Thought we were talking about "Best perch Lakes"?

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline stevenm2007

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Love The Ice !!!
« Reply #57 on: Mar 08, 2008, 08:38 AM »
I went to Caz one day and hit the nicest school of Fatties ! It was a fluke day  but every time I have tries it seince ... there are nothing but a TON of small 3 inchers and nothing else. To me that means either KEEP TRYING and sometime I will hit them again or the lake sucks  wich I think a lake that size that isnt the case. They are there I just cant get to half of the lake were they might roam . It doesnt freeze as well but I have fished it ten or so times again and nothing like that one day I hit the jackpot that day but ... who knows if anyone else has had aything like that happen and never did it again someplace ...

Offline stevenm2007

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Love The Ice !!!
« Reply #58 on: Mar 08, 2008, 08:40 AM »
I do agree with the fish TRAVELING to onondoga BUT it is a LONNNNGGG trip and not many fish would make it there . The only way is down through the locks and the dam way they couldnt make it back up to oneida lake so id say that SOME fish could but all in all Oneida lake is VERY clean and the water shed goes INTO onondoga not inton nOneida lake but everyone has there opinions.

Offline Angola Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Mar 08, 2008, 02:49 PM »
Lakes Erie and Seneca.  At one time you could throw Cuba in the mix.  ::)
"I catch the fish, you cook the fish.  The only time we're together is when we eat the fish"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.