Author Topic: Another dead Marcum  (Read 3337 times)

Offline Jeremy_D

• IceShanty Rookie
Another dead Marcum
« on: Jan 11, 2015, 12:58 PM »
Anybody looking at flashers asking the Marcum versus Vexlair question look around and compare dead Marcum threads to dead Vexlair threads...my Vx1pro died today for no reason. Bought it late in the season last year. So its been on the ice roughly 15 times. Ive always been gentle with as it cost me $275 and when reading about flasher I got the impression to be careful with the transducer. When in the shack I even drilled a hole just for the transducer so I didnt need to pull it out when Id catch a fish.
So Ill send it in tomorrow and HOPEFULLY borrow my older brothers Vexlair..the one hes had for multiple years without issue. Looks like its about a 2 week time frame to get it back....that  just makes me feel all warm inside.
Also note my little brother has a LX7 that he had to send in last year and was having problems again with it this year. I did update it for him and havent heard if its better. To think I almost pulled the trigger on a LX7 this year myself. I can not ever see myself buying another Marcum product

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Another dead Marcum
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2015, 01:45 PM »
We have 2 VX-1s and they are 4 Seasons old and not a problem with either of them.Sad to say  but it's like the Chev vs Ford. Buy what you like. Sooner or later either one will give you problems.

Offline tubby67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Keep it only if your going to eat it"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2015, 02:01 PM »
For years I was a hard core Vex. guy and a friend converted to a Marum LX5 From may Vex. Fl20, I hated that 5 and now have a FLX28 It's awesome, I think it was a screen thing ;D

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2015, 02:02 PM »
my Marcum lx3tc puked out yesterday with the rocking/ bouncing display.didnt even last a full ice season.not happy.. Im not paying to send the crapper in.just emailed Marcum to see if they are going to make it right.i don't want to  stuff any more money into this Marcum.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2015, 02:11 PM »
had my vex for several seasons now......doesnt skip a beat. Made in the usa

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2015, 02:36 PM »
If you think vex is made in the U.S you are dead wrong. Stamped right on the back of the head unit made in China. Marcum is manufactured in the States though.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline fishinchiro307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2015, 02:42 PM »
just bought an LX7 and it won't power on anymore....unimpressed to say the least

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2015, 03:00 PM »
just bought an LX7 and it won't power on anymore....unimpressed to say the least

Most problems accrue from;
bad battery
bad charger
loose terminals
cable connection
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2015, 03:07 PM »
Just to be clear it is Vexilar  ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2015, 03:17 PM »
Just to be clear it is Vexilar  ;D
you got that right im glad i have my vexilar fl20 .my Marcum lx3tc didn't even last 7 outings as backup/loaner.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2015, 03:26 PM »
This just blows me away! There have been so many reports of how much these Marcum users have had great luck with their units it seems until this year. I don't understand it. They must have done something different with their manufacturing process to suddenly have all these failures.
I'll be interested to see how this plays out with Marcums capabilities with service.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Bumski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2015, 03:38 PM »
had my vex for several seasons now......doesnt skip a beat. Made in the usa

I have 2 Marcums for several seasons now....
1 7 years old...
Doesn't skip a beat.

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2015, 03:57 PM »
my Marcum lx3tc puked out yesterday with the rocking/ bouncing display.didnt even last a full ice season.not happy.. Im not paying to send the crapper in.just emailed Marcum to see if they are going to make it right.i don't want to  stuff any more money into this Marcum.
ill pay the shiping to my house and take it off your hands.....

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2015, 04:03 PM »
lx7 lx9 not a problem. lx9 is 2 years old and the lx7 is 1 year old. love my marcum and would never ever ever ever buy a vex had a friend with a vex and i would make his ass go to the other side of the lake because the vex blob was so big it would blind you and the vex hum would make your ear drums burst!!!! l

Offline nocsious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2015, 04:27 PM »
I fish with a group of guys and we fish with 4 total Marcum units, 2 vx-1's and 2 LX-5's.  The youngest unit is 2 years old, and the oldest is probably around 7 years old.  None have ever had an issue other than a dead battery.  We sometimes fish all 4 units in the same shelter and the Marcum units play well together.  It wasn't pretty for the Vexilar using guest we had one year.     

I've personally fished with a Vexilar fl-8 and an fl-18.  I prefer the Marcum units but in most cases I don't think it matters much as long as you have a flasher.  I have no experience with the Humminbird Ice machines or any of the Lowrance products. 

I really wouldn't hesitate to buy any brand of mechanical flasher for reliability reasons.  They all seem pretty good to me.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2015, 04:39 PM »
This just blows me away! There have been so many reports of how much these Marcum users have had great luck with their units it seems until this year. I don't understand it. They must have done something different with their manufacturing process to suddenly have all these failures.
I'll be interested to see how this plays out with Marcums capabilities with service.

:tipup:
NBG

I think that's a pretty good point, everyone seemed happy with their Marcum, if they bought it before the 2012-13 season.  That's when I got mine and now it's currently on it's way back to their factory for a busted transducer (that I didn't bust).  Seems like quality took a dip the last few years, I'm interested in how they repair and send it back hopefully making it right. $15 dollars to ship is cheaper then a new ducer or unit.

Offline walkndude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2015, 06:32 PM »
                          Better look again there not made in China

All Vexilars are made in Japan and assembled here in MN, always have been -it's why they last forever.

Offline Dirt_Guru

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2015, 08:45 PM »
I have an lx5 gave me issues the first time out this year.  It turned out to be a $7 for a new battery.  It was really irritating, I thought I'd have to send it in.  Not an issue anymore and now I always travel with an extra battery.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2015, 03:40 PM »
Wasn't bought out by another company  a couple years ago ?

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2015, 03:45 PM »
ill pay the shiping to my house and take it off your hands.....

No, I will ;D

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2015, 09:12 AM »
I have a older lx3tc, its been great, so l bought another, will 5 failures later I sold it, before that I had 3 showdown dual beams die, I will stick with Vex or hummin bird now, its too bad as the marcums are a nice unit
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline Iced D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2015, 09:54 AM »
My Showdown is one year old and it's been sent to Marcum once, threw the faulty charger away and now I'm waiting on a new ducer because the second one they sent me was used and doesn't work at all.  They will work on your flasher if you have 2-3 weeks to send it in, but they won't swap it for a different product.  It's awesome when it works and I wanna like Marcum, but I'm afraid I won't give them any more of my money when I finally give up on this Showdown.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2015, 12:21 PM »
Wasn't bought out by another company  a couple years ago ?

No. But Rapala has the marketing rights to it to be used under the Ice Force brand.

Never had a problem with mine.. except for the junk charger it came with. Battery tender jr fixed that!

Neither marcum nor vexilar are made in the USA, just assembled here from parts sourced overseas.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2015, 12:58 PM »
I am not a fan of Vexilar for the simple fact that they are overpriced.  I have never had any issues with my Lowrance, Marcum or Vex but I will say that the Vexilar's are second to none when it comes to sturdiness and reliability.  I think I could use my Fl-8 as a hammer and not hurt it.

Offline Jeremy_D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2015, 02:56 PM »
If it was a rare thing for them to break Id be a lot more accepting but reading all these stories is what burns me. Sent it in today. Ill report what they tell me.

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:19 PM »
Not my LX 7 I just put mine on the ice tonight and it works like a pro.  I took out my Elite 5x and put them side by side and compared them against each other.  both really good units I did like that my Marcum was a bit more defined with more separation between fish. Very happy for my purchase  ;D ;D
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Offline BassOn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2015, 09:15 AM »
i have lx7,lx3 and a 625 camera and my dad has a lx3.last year he had an issue with bottom jump and sent his unit in and recieved it in about a week and never had a problem...all my marcums are currently running great.ive seen the vexs and im not impressed by any of thier flashers.ill send my marcum to go get fixed than to own a vex but everyone has thier preferance.

Offline Cantharellus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2015, 09:19 AM »
I've had my Marcum for probably 7 or 8 years. Still running strong. However, I will say that when the time comes, either this year or next, I'll be looking at all my options. I could see myself ending up with one from any of the makers.

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 15, 2015, 05:54 AM »
My lx3 is 8 years old and still functions like the day I bought it. It gets tossed around on the hard water and has been thru some extreme temps as well. That said quality can change with any brand and the number of bad units increases.

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:12 AM »
I am sure every company has some lemons, but my only experience with Marcum was the Show Down and to say it was junk would be an understatement.  Used it maybe 3 times and treated it very gently, 4th time out, there is condensation between the screen and cover.  Took it back and got a replacement from the store and 2-3 weeks later same thing.  I had to turn it on and off multiple times to get it to display anything, so it got returned.   Maybe unfair to make inferences on the new Marcum units, but it has left a bad taste in my mouth.  The store had multiple other returns on the Show Downs also.

I own two FL-8's and while not flashy, they get the job done.  I owned an Ice 35 for 1 year and it performed fine, I just got too used to the Vexilar.  My advice is to have a budget, understand what type of fishing you do and whatever you buy, take care of it.  These things are designed for rough use and it's easy to throw stuff in the sled or truck, but take an extra few minutes to ensure your transducers aren't banging around, cords aren't hanging out, etc.  The cases are a bit pricey, but you can find the Tournament Angler versions for less than the actual Vexilar or whatever brand.  Also, pay close attention to your favorite store's markdowns.  I am already accessories getting marked down to make way for spring gear.  You can pick up a case, battery meter, case and other accessories for half price or less.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.