New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: get me a bow!  (Read 3246 times)

Offline tcool

• Team IceShanty Regular
get me a bow!
« on: Feb 13, 2007, 06:53 PM »
any of you know where i can get a good deal on a hoyt vetrix xl ?????

let me know
Paisley go put this jack in my creel and grab me another fat head. wait heres another !

JJ

Re: get me a bow!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2007, 09:07 PM »
Try Archerytalk.com

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2007, 09:34 PM »
You've been watching too much 'Dream Season' and listening to goofy Michael Waddell.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a Mathews.

Tiffany shoots one.....  :woot:

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

Offline Spikehorn11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2007, 12:11 AM »
Try Ebay. I bought a Trykon XL for $400 last month. Its a sweet shooting bow.

Offline krappie_king

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Crappie anyone?
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2007, 01:20 AM »
boy how id love to be that deer, doa1 :woot:
Hello, you have reached John. I am currently fishing. Leave me a message and I will get back to you as soon as Ice fishing becomes an olympic sport.

Offline crappie78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2007, 07:42 AM »
That is one lucky deer.

Offline crappie78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2007, 07:49 AM »
Try Guerin-Teed Archery in Marion.  They are very good at what they do.

Offline fishingbuddycb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2007, 08:17 AM »
 I agree spend the money. Mathews is the only bow to own.

flockshot

« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2007, 08:20 AM »
I agree spend the money. Mathews is the only bow to own.
there are many more fantastic bows on the market..shoot as many as you can before you decide which one you want..dont get sucked in by names.

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2007, 09:17 AM »
get a part time job at Dicks sporting goods and take part in the pro deal program.......!!!!!!   :P :P ;D

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2007, 09:40 AM »

I know this is one of those things but, a lot of deer have been taken with recurves and lower priced compounds. I think its about feel and patience. If you like it and have the money, go for it. I don't think you "need" it though. I've been using a Bear Whitetail II for awhile now and it definately kills bucks! I'd love a mercedes type bow like a Mathews, just can't afford one. Hoyt's are nice too, pricey also. My two and a half cents. :tipup:

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2007, 09:43 AM »
I find its not the bow so much as it is the hunter. Doesnt matter how good the bow is, it is how good the hunter is. If it can kill an animal its good in my book
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

JJ

« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2007, 10:46 AM »
Good answer. It never fails, when bows are discussed someone has to bring up matthews, and, of course, it's the only bow to own. ??? The guy already knows what bow he wants. Glad I'm not an over-advertised, brain-washed zombie. ;D I am not willing to pay more for a bow just to support a companies advertising budget and professional shooters. But, the company has a great marketing program, it works.

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2007, 12:33 PM »
Your really not paying more just because of the name in my opinion.  What it comes down to is you pay for the technology in the bow.  Do you want a single cam?....do you want vibration dampeners?...do you want short bow length?....do you want the bow in the newest camo pattern?....Do you want ot shoot finger or a release?....How long are you looking to own the bow?....etc.etc.etc. 

You have to decide what is important in a bow for you to narrow down what brand and style to choose.  Also shoot the bows. It is just like anything else, you get what you pay for.  Yeah, you may pay top dollar for a Matthews, Bowtech, or Hoyt, but you can rest assureed that your not buying junk and they will be the last bow you will ever have to purchase.

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

flockshot

« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2007, 12:43 PM »
Your really not paying more just because of the name in my opinion.  What it comes down to is you pay for the technology in the bow.  Do you want a single cam?....do you want vibration dampeners?...do you want short bow length?....do you want the bow in the newest camo pattern?....Do you want ot shoot finger or a release?....How long are you looking to own the bow?....etc.etc.etc. 

You have to decide what is important in a bow for you to narrow down what brand and style to choose.  Also shoot the bows. It is just like anything else, you get what you pay for.  Yeah, you may pay top dollar for a Matthews, Bowtech, or Hoyt, but you can rest assureed that your not buying junk and they will be the last bow you will ever have to purchase.
honestly..you do get what you pay for..but dont look at names..look at price...feel the feel...look at the look..and then decide..i was an archery tech at bass pro and could get my hands on anybow i wanted for dirt cheap.... after a "blind" test..i bought a browning illusion. $699 dollars..and outshot any bowtech and matthes i shot..that being said..it wont be the same for everybody.

Offline ilikepike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if the fish arnt hitting eat venison
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2007, 01:11 PM »
just picked up a new mathews drenalin the other day thats a pretty sweet bow im going to be getting me one  ;D
hows your big fat sucker

Offline mcboats81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2007, 01:52 PM »
I bought a Mathews LX 4 years ago after testing a variety of bows, was very open minded when I did my research.  Recommend you do the same.  I'll never own another bow than a Mathews.  But that's just me, do your homework, look at your budget and get what you feel comfortable with.

Offline irishjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Favorite Fishin Partner!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2007, 02:27 PM »
Shot a Liberty this past fall , WOW,  if I had a spare 8 bills laying around thats the one ! Quiet is not the word , Silent , and what accuracy . Almost like shooting a sling shot . Just cant justify the price though .
I spent all my money on fishin,huntin,and beer  , everything else was just a waste!
TEAM MIRC NYRC Official Mic Of Mirc

Offline adkman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2007, 08:03 PM »
I paid $450 for a custom made Long bow because I do it WOFW ;D  I do own a Mathews Q@ and the wife has a fx and both are great bows.  Best advice is to go to a shop with a shooting ranges and try several.  Most of the major companies make some great equipment and it's all in what YOU want, not what I like.

Offline shantyn8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2007, 11:09 PM »
Hey tim,  Crappie is right.  Try guerinteed in Marion if you can get there.  That guy has forgotten more about bows than most ppl know.  Fixed my old Jennings Apex1 right before archery season started(had cam lean real bad) and got me up and shooting in less than 2 days.  Also tried a Matthews LD out. right off the rack with stock arrows, got my first Robin Hood!! :D  I don't know how I'm going to pay for it, but that's my next bow!! ???  There's another shop on the west side if that's closer: Indian Mountain Archery.  REALLY good folks there.  Super knowledgeable too.  Shoot them all find out what you like then make your decision based on feel nod brand.  Good luck!  Hope you stick a wall hanger!

Offline tcool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2007, 01:42 PM »
i shot the xt and drenalin there nice but im a hoyt fan
i havent heard of the place in marion where abouts is that from syracuse ?
Paisley go put this jack in my creel and grab me another fat head. wait heres another !

Offline tcool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 16, 2007, 01:43 PM »
i also am a member of archerytalk.com :tipup:

Offline Spikehorn11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 16, 2007, 02:54 PM »
i also am a member of archerytalk.com :tipup:

Me to. ;D

Offline tcool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 16, 2007, 03:10 PM »
spike dont forget huntingnet.com! lol

Offline BuckShotJon

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Gimpy Fisher
« Reply #24 on: Feb 16, 2007, 03:57 PM »
If you know the exact bow that you want you can call around to the local archery shops. Many actually have a consignment section as well which will mean typically reduced cost from new.

Todd at Guerinteed in Marion, NY would be a good place to buy from. Also in Williamson, NY you could try Archery Solutions. Simply put they are the best people I have ever dealt with in the Archery Industry. Grat indoor ranges as well.

Personally and just personally speaking I shoot BowTech after many years being a PSE shooter. I love the BowTech and in fact gave away my 1 yr old PSE.

Jon
Check Out The Hunting Shanty

Check Out The Softer Side Of The Shanty At www.Myfishfinder.com

Offline Spikehorn11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 16, 2007, 09:15 PM »
spike dont forget huntingnet.com! lol

Yes one of my favorites besides here,lol.

Offline tcool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 18, 2007, 06:11 PM »
will  guerin-teed know if i say members from iceshanty sent me :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.