New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Need some Help- going to NY - black lake  (Read 3246 times)

Offline dRemodeling

• IceShanty Rookie
Need some Help- going to NY - black lake
« on: Dec 12, 2020, 05:34 PM »
Hi guys, My name is Dan, I am new to ice fishing ( this is my 2nd year).

I live near Philadelphia and unfortunately - no Ice here in the last few years. I went to Canada last year and I am hooked,

I am planning a trip and I am looking at no more than 5-6 hours ride from Philly area.

Based on my research : Blake Lake seems a good lake for ice fishing and they have few nice tackle and bait supplies in the area.

My plan is to bring my wife and two boys and in laws and have fun for 3 nights -4  days and rent Airbnb close to the lake.

I will have a 4 person insulated ice fishing shelter, an auger and   I want to use live bait for my flag tip tops and do some jigging /

Here are my questions :

1) Is Christmas week a good week for ice fishing? are they going to have safe ICE on Black Lake ?
2) They are any other location for a great experience within 5-6 hours drive from Philadelphia?

What advise you can give to make this ice fishing trip as memorable as possible?

Thank you.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Need some Help- going to NY - black lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2020, 05:51 PM »
I live in Iowa, but you might want to post this on the New York forum.

Offline FingerLaker607

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2020, 06:21 PM »
I wouldn't be planning a family fishing trip for Christmas time in NY this year. Especially if it involves a 5 hour drive. We haven't had much cold yet.  Hopefully soon!

Offline dRemodeling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2020, 06:27 PM »
thanks

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2020, 06:55 PM »
Lots of lakes and state access in north eastern PA that are a much shorter drive . But conditions for known safe ice are in the 2nd week of January usually ...before then would be hit and miss. This week is expected to get a cold blast .. followed by a warm up  ..so very similar to last year ...hoping that changes .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2020, 08:57 PM »
I agree with Hardwater diehard, lots of good lakes in north east/north central PA that get ice on them early.  Keep an eye on the PA forums and they will tell you about ice conditions.  Lakes in Tioga county freeze quickly as well as Lake Jean.  You will find it really hard to find safe ice by Christmas within 6 or 7 hour drive.  (I really hope that I'm wrong on this)  Went to Chaumont Bay in NY last year and 7 of us caught over 1000 perch in 2.5 days.  Lots about 8 inches but had several up to 13 inches.  Where ever you go, just make sure it is safe.  Definitely don't want anyone to go swimming.  Nez

Offline Cjnstorm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2020, 11:26 PM »
i was out last year on the 27th of December, and if my memory serves me right it wasnt fishable a few days later, Chapman's Sports Shop (315) 324-5265, my son calls them every time we go,and they give ice reports, but im less than 2 hours from there, you should probably plan for 2nd week or out in January.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2020, 11:36 PM »
I would possibly wait a bit till making plans.  Not much if any ice.   Just had lots of rain tonight come through.  Also go to the ny page and ask probably get a bit more response.   Tight lines.
Just enjoying life

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2020, 05:53 AM »
I have fished NY on Christmas day but it's not the norm by any stretch. I wouldn't make any plans for December in NY. It could happen but just as likely that it wont. JMO

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2020, 06:19 AM »
 I also recommend calling chapmans tackle shop , good info
 They also have a web pg
 I have lfished black lake on and off for 30+ years but there are more productive lakes to fish , just an old farts .02
 And you should get more responses on the NY pg

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline dRemodeling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2020, 08:46 AM »
Thanks guys, I am pushing the trip to 2nd weekend of January 14-18 of January, I will post on the NY page to get some better lakes suggestions

Offline dRemodeling

• IceShanty Rookie
Going to NY to fish - need advise
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2020, 08:53 AM »
Hello, I was directed to the NY page to ask for help,

I am from Philadelphia and I am planning a 3-4 night trip to upstate - New York for ice fishing on January 14-18.

I never been in that area and I found recommendation on an online article for Black Lake.

I am traveling with my Wife, 2 kids, in laws and we want to make this a memorable trip.. Most likely we will rent an Airbnb

I will have a 4 person insulated ice fishing tent, auger and all tip tops and jigging rods, It is possible that another family with two kids to join us.

Is Black Lake a good choice for Ice fishing? I want to make the most of this trip

Do you have any recommendations for other lakes or some outfitters/guides?

Any advise for me?

Thanks in advance

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2020, 08:55 AM »
Some states have reports and condition boards  NY and PA ...may give you some insight as the season progresses

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=120.0

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=50.0
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Going to NY to fish - need advise
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2020, 08:56 AM »

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2020, 10:33 AM »
I think you will be better off now that you pushed it back a few weeks.

Like others said on your other thread, you will be driving past better fisheries if you go to Black Lake. Better fishing with a shorter drive, can’t beat it.

It would be helpful to include what you are targeting or what your objectives are. Do you target a specific species or are you looking to chase flags all day? Where I fish depends on my objectives, at least here in the Capital District. If I am taking the princess, I better out her in fish. If I’m going with the fellas, are we looking for a trophy or fishing for food.

Regardless of your objectives for this trip, I am sure you will get a bunch of suggestions

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2020, 11:01 AM »

What species were you looking to target

There are more productive lakes to fish , closer to home ,in my opinion
 If your set on going to Black lake , chapmans has the most up to date info , nice sport shop  ,
 He also has a web page

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2020, 01:10 PM »
wait for at least 5 inches of ice if you are a newbie and bringing kids.....how will you feel if you bring your kids out and its sketchy ice...ice fishing on thin ice is dangerous...thin ice is really not for family outings

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2020, 01:14 PM »
try to push your plans back to late jan,,,,or even feb......its safer then

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2020, 01:17 PM »
google,,,big pond,,in the catskills....it is close to you freezes well and has nice people there

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2020, 05:26 PM »
Several good points made:
1) Ice is variable, especially early on, gotta call for the latest info.
2) Really depends on the species sought after and time of the season. While BL can be great for pike and crappie, you'll be driving by Oneida and Chaumont Bay which have much better fisheries for perch and walleye.
3) February tends to be the better month to plan for safer ice conditions.
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Offline reggie1610

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2020, 09:54 AM »
Hi - Dremodeling. I sent you a personal message with some details / ideas. Thanks!

Offline seano

• IceShanty Rookie
  • if you can read this your fishing too close
« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2020, 11:56 PM »
go to the chaumont hardware facebook page for ice updates, also if you really want to catch fish contact chaumont masters in the banner above
im surrounded by ice holes

Offline chaumontriverguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2020, 04:50 AM »
I second chaumont masters he's got everything including every piece of equipment and transport to and from and a place to stay right at water's edge only thing you need is money lol

Offline dRemodeling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2020, 10:04 AM »
google,,,big pond,,in the catskills....it is close to you freezes well and has nice people there

Thanks

Offline dRemodeling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2020, 10:05 AM »
Several good points made:
1) Ice is variable, especially early on, gotta call for the latest info.
2) Really depends on the species sought after and time of the season. While BL can be great for pike and crappie, you'll be driving by Oneida and Chaumont Bay which have much better fisheries for perch and walleye.
3) February tends to be the better month to plan for safer ice conditions.
Thanks

Offline dRemodeling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2020, 10:09 AM »
Well, guys, My wife made me a surprise and booked a home on Wesllsley Island on the 1,000 island area.

I want to not have a particular species in mind, I want to have  fun.. and maybe get a walley or two, maybe some trout and a lot of pike,,

yes, indeed Newby.. but already hooked..  what lakes and places I should check in my 5 day stay

Offline FingerLaker607

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2020, 11:57 AM »
Probably not going to get into any trout or walleye on Wellesley. Lake of the Isles (LOTI) and Eel Bay will keep you busy with plenty of perch and pike but often on the smaller side. Nice area and driving distance to black lake and other popular spots. You will have fun!

Offline FingerLaker607

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 18, 2020, 12:00 PM »
Oh and pray we don't get a warm week between now and then...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.