New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Two in the water @ Honeoye Lake off of Trident - Rescue Happening! BE CAREFUL!  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S4028506.shtml?cat=565

Rescue crews work to save two in Honeoye Lake

Created: 01/26/2016 10:57 AM
Ontario County Sheriff’s Deputies say rescue crews are working to save two people in the water in Honeoye Lake.
We’re told emergency crews are near the Trident Marine on East Lake Road in Honeoye. There is no word yet on how the two people got in the water.
We are tracking this story and will bring you more information as soon as it is available.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Ontario County Sheriff’s Deputies say rescue crews saved two people in the water in Honeoye Lake.

Fire officials say two men were ice fishing near Trident Marine on East Lake Road in Honeoye. They were both rescued and refused treatment.

We are tracking this story and will bring you more information as soon as it is available.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
glad  they are  both  ok !!!!!  did  they  get  any  fish?

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
I was at the south end. Stopped by there on the way home. Inexperiencedu idiots walked too close to a bubbler

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
Did they get any fish??? Haha haha Trapper that's good stuff right there!

That is probably not funny to the two that were in the water for 1/2 an hour today. On TV, the FD Chief indicated that they were close to going under when they got them out.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Actually, 1 made it out by himself. The second person was in pretty serious trouble but was rescued. The ice was so bad that the rescuers basically had to break through and swim to him. They were pulled back to shore by lifeline. Had nothing to do with bubblers.

They obviously had no self rescue tools like ice spikes, no flotation and no spud.

A trifecta of dangerous behavior. Worst of all, they put other lives at risk. It's a few fish people. Use your brains. Someone might want you to return home safely.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline mossy100

• IceShanty Rookie
Glad they are ok bad judgement or not could happen to any of us.

Offline jbird

• IceShanty Rookie
hmmm is it possible to show or describe on a map the area they went in?

Also it would be instrumental to upload any pics of the ice & area to show folks what danger can look like.

I have been debating heading to Honeyoye for the first time ever, and while I have gone out for 5-6 years, it has been to the same 2 locations, once the ice has gotten 6+ inches and I have seen others in the area.

It is just fish and while they are tasty I don't want to risk needlessly.

That said, while it is easy to say "They were dumb by a tributary" which might well be the case, for a rookie/neophyte or maybe even an experienced ice fisher in a new area, there may be tributaries that are not obvious, or "bubblers" that have never been encountered before.

I appreciate the folks on this forum that responded with solid info about the bubblers on Honeoye when I expressed interest about accessing the lake from the north end.

(I also got a chuckle out of trappers humor :) )

Offline jbird

• IceShanty Rookie
Also, does anyone know if they happened to be wearing or have a PFD with them?

While I would kinda smirk at anyone wearing one on the ice, I bet they were wishing they had one on or with them when they went in.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
ya  watch the  video  you ,you see one  of them  laughing .......  what  isn't  funny is  exactly what RG  said  no  safety  equipment  no  spud  ..............when I  talk  about  safety  I  get told   let  people  do what they  want  let them  decide  ...well I  decide  im  going to  look at things  with humor i'm  glad  they  made  it  out and  they are  safe   but  geeez a  fish report would  be  nice ....  im thinking I  can cast to that open water from shore

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
jbird  one  of the  videos  shows the  area  it happened

Offline mcarey97

• Team IceShanty Regular
that really sucks, to go in when there's so many reports of good ice and people out there, but stepping in just the wrong spot does ya in.   have stories of similar situations but so does everyone, so I wont start w em.  good that they were yanked out   stay on top

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
hmmm is it possible to show or describe on a map the area they went in?

Also it would be instrumental to upload any pics of the ice & area to show folks what danger can look like.

I have been debating heading to Honeyoye for the first time ever, and while I have gone out for 5-6 years, it has been to the same 2 locations, once the ice has gotten 6+ inches and I have seen others in the area.

It is just fish and while they are tasty I don't want to risk needlessly.

That said, while it is easy to say "They were dumb by a tributary" which might well be the case, for a rookie/neophyte or maybe even an experienced ice fisher in a new area, there may be tributaries that are not obvious, or "bubblers" that have never been encountered before.

I appreciate the folks on this forum that responded with solid info about the bubblers on Honeoye when I expressed interest about accessing the lake from the north end.

(I also got a chuckle out of trappers humor :) )
Google "Trident Marine".  There is a bubbler there to the left of the ramp in the video and it was running on Monday morning.  I'd also guess the creek on that point had been running since yesterday.  We always walk wide around that area because of both.  Monday we had 4-5 inches of ice at the Trident launch and points north.

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
I saw it first hand. They got to close to the bubbler

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
That 4-5 inches could well be 2–3 inches after rain and near 50 degree temps. If you don't know the lake and the hazards posed by the runoff which was experienced the past couple days as well as the dangers of gas pockets known to be there, just find another safer place to fish.

In all likelihood the lake is turbid from the hillside runoff anyway which historically shuts things down. But, if you're bent on risking your life and the lives of first responders....I guess that's what you will do.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thats why I bought a Striker Ice flotation suit a couple years ago. I know they aren't cheap, but then again, how much is your life worth.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
Google "Trident Marine".  There is a bubbler there to the left of the ramp in the video and it was running on Monday morning.  I'd also guess the creek on that point had been running since yesterday.  We always walk wide around that area because of both.  Monday we had 4-5 inches of ice at the Trident launch and points north.
I fished there a few times a few years ago (out of Trident), and that ice is often a bit sketchy.  As they said, when you are near the shore line, walk as far to the north as you can to get away from the bubblers and tributaries by the boat launch.

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
Fished Honeoye south end Sunday with 2 of my sons (11 and 7).  Trip is almost 2 hrs. for me and after getting 1/2 an hour down the road I realized I left younger son's life jacket at home.  Turned around and went back to get it.  Too early in a year with less than super ice thickness - not chancing it.  Guy with a young son stopped and talked to us as we unloaded.  He complimented us on wearing the life jackets (I had my Ice Armor) - made me feel even better about going back.  My wife would have seen the life jacket and been worried the whole time - also not worth it.  We had our safety talk shortly before getting there.  What to do if I fall in, what they should do if they fall in, what I will do if they fall in.

Glad to hear the guys are OK, but I would not consider it safe/smart to have been out there today - beyond my pucker level.

Offline skinny4

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm new to ice fishing. What is a bubbler? Are they just on honeoye? Is that why there bluegills are so big? And how and where do I set tipups for walleye on honeoye? I wear a orange life vest when I walk. Sit on it when I'm fishing. Everybody looks at me like I'm nuts. I can't believe nobody wears them when they walk around. I feel like I can get out if I fall thru. Might loose all my gear tho. Glad they got out OK but can't say I wouldn't have walked on the same ice. I drill a lot of holes. I got no spud. Tried smacking auger on ice to check it. Them blades are hard to find and expensive. How important is a spud? Can I use it instead of an auger? Its one or the other.

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
A bubbler, I believe ,is used by marinas and boat houses  to keep the ice from locking up and possibly damaging their docks. It does not make the fish bigger, but makes the ice around them extremely unstable and unsafe.
Not sure about the eyes at Honoeye, maybe someone else can chime in.

A spud is a must have, especially in a year like this, when the ice is unstable and hasn't really had a chance to grow.  And if you're fishing a body of water you've never been to before, it makes it twice as dangerous without careful research and local knowledge of a lake. Gas pockets, small creeks you can't see, snow drifts,etc can all retard good ice growth.
A cheap spud bar can be had ! A nice piece of rebar or strong metal with an edge on it is dirt cheap, and can save your life.
 No ice is safe ice, especially this year..
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
1- NEVER fish alone
2- NEVER smack the auger on the ice, the blades will be ruined.
3- Forget the tipups at Honeoye, jig 'em.

i think this guy is trying to be a tool.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
Fished Honeoye south end Sunday with 2 of my sons (11 and 7).  Trip is almost 2 hrs. for me and after getting 1/2 an hour down the road I realized I left younger son's life jacket at home.  Turned around and went back to get it.  Too early in a year with less than super ice thickness - not chancing it.  Guy with a young son stopped and talked to us as we unloaded.  He complimented us on wearing the life jackets (I had my Ice Armor) - made me feel even better about going back.  My wife would have seen the life jacket and been worried the whole time - also not worth it.  We had our safety talk shortly before getting there.  What to do if I fall in, what they should do if they fall in, what I will do if they fall in.

Glad to hear the guys are OK, but I would not consider it safe/smart to have been out there today - beyond my pucker level.

Not sure if you realize it, but that black Clam Ice Armor EDGE suit in your avatar does NOT provide floatation.

Some people get the Ice Armor suits confused with the Artic Armor suits that float. I know Clam has Come out with the BLUE Ice Armor LIFT suit and it floats, but the BLACK EDGE suit does NOT float.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline jiggly wiggly

• Team IceShanty Regular
they made the weather chanel. yup talked about rescue and footage

Offline jimbo13

• IceShanty Rookie
KeukaZ71 , thanks for the eye witness report, I walked on at Trident Saturday afternoon. Was kinda baffled how they had gone through. We found 4.5 - 5 inches on all 10 holes we drilled further out. when we walked on there was 15 - 20 guys out front there. We saw the bubbler and steered clear.
  Glad to hear EVERYONE got out safe. Big thanks to the rescue crew for a quick and safe recovery. like others are saying , lets use some common sense guys this years conditions are different than last years , do some research and carry some safety equipment , maybe you could be of help to others.
  Also a BIG thank you to the owners of Trident marine for allowing us outdoorsmen to enjoy this beauty of a lake, I will be back there this year 

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
KeukaZ71 , thanks for the eye witness report, I walked on at Trident Saturday afternoon. Was kinda baffled how they had gone through. We found 4.5 - 5 inches on all 10 holes we drilled further out. when we walked on there was 15 - 20 guys out front there. We saw the bubbler and steered clear.
  Glad to hear EVERYONE got out safe. Big thanks to the rescue crew for a quick and safe recovery. like others are saying , lets use some common sense guys this years conditions are different than last years , do some research and carry some safety equipment , maybe you could be of help to others.
  Also a BIG thank you to the owners of Trident marine for allowing us outdoorsmen to enjoy this beauty of a lake, I will be back there this year

you are welcome. i've seen guys go through there in years past, but close to the ramp luckily. it was dead middle of a cold winter too. my neighbors on either side of my cottage on keuka both have bubblers running all winter. i've seen the damage they can do to ice. even last winter. unfortunately i can never access the ice from my cottage.

Offline crzyeyevan

• Team IceShanty Regular
I agree devo jig em and DONT smack the auger in the ice. As far as the trident launch, when it warms the water and salt run down hill from the parking lot/driveway. Usually eats the ice up quick there. If you are going to venture onto iffy ice conditions invest in some sort of flotation suit or PFD. I have and still do own a mustang, into a striker hard water now. Piece of mind my brothers and sisters.
Stay safe and on top
DP

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!

Thanks GCD for looking out for a brother ice fisherman.  I said I was wearing "Ice Armor", my mistake, meant to say Arctic Armor (which is what I have).  The clothes I have on in the picture are a North Face jacket and Cabela's bibs.  Did not have flotation gear then and that picture was on 2 feet of ice on Lake Nipissing so I wasn't too worried about going through on foot.  My buddy who drove out in his Silverado was not always so confident, especially when we convoyed it out to the middle.  Good fishing though, and fun times.

Tight Lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.