New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Shanty opinions  (Read 3254 times)

Offline Gogetter

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Shanty opinions
« Reply #30 on: Dec 27, 2014, 08:18 PM »
flip over is the way to go

Offline bigdaddyc9

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • cooler than a mentholated snowball!!!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 28, 2014, 09:18 AM »
I have a 6 year old Frabill XL Twin a 2 man flip over.It is a tad heavy but pulls across the ice pretty good.I like the flip over as you can scoot to the tip ups pretty quick.The black material helps heat it during sunny days.I think I paid 400$ for t when new at Gander Mtn.I love it.
Please Mother Nature,not this year too???

Offline Green Mountain Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 28, 2014, 10:04 AM »
Get the Otter and get on to fishing.

I got the XT-650 Cabin last year and myself with two sons fit snug.

I recommend go small because any can be a challenge to hand pull.

The Cottage can fit two no problem because they all have bench seats.

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #33 on: Dec 28, 2014, 11:24 AM »
I think the new Otters are ugly (wish they kept the camo pattern).
Gander has some XT650 Lodge and Cottage.
order from Gander online and ship to Cicero for $699.99 for Lodge and 499.99 for Cottage after $100 rebate (12/25/4 through 1/4/15 only).

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=OTTER-XT650-Lodge-Ice-Fishing-Shelter-Package&i=737818

Chowdaire, if you bought from Gander, you should take yours back and repurchase it to get the rebate.
The tug is the drug.

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 28, 2014, 01:41 PM »
I think the new Otters are ugly (wish they kept the camo pattern).
Gander has some XT650 Lodge and Cottage.
order from Gander online and ship to Cicero for $699.99 for Lodge and 499.99 for Cottage after $100 rebate (12/25/4 through 1/4/15 only).

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=OTTER-XT650-Lodge-Ice-Fishing-Shelter-Package&i=737818

Chowdaire, if you bought from Gander, you should take yours back and repurchase it to get the rebate.

Thanks, PerchEyes. I didn't buy from Gander but I did that last year with my Ice Armor suit. Took it back in after Christmas to get a smaller size and they gave me the $100 rebate on the return. Great deal.

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 01, 2015, 08:47 PM »
Hate to do it, but I'll reiterate the complaints about Clam.
I've owned one. A 4 man hub. I had 2 poles coming out of the hub when I was setting it up the 1st time in the living room. I should have returned it, but knew it was an easy fix with a hot glue gun. I've since had to glue every pole back into the hubs. Maybe it was a fluke, but I won't be buying anything with that name on it again.

Same thing happened to my buddy's. He sold it and got a frabill and couldn't be happier. Down the road I plan on getting an otter 1200. You would think the thermals would weigh a ton more, but they are only a few pounds heavier than the 650s. That bench seat must weigh a ton

Offline Icelife4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit the b***hin and start fishin
« Reply #36 on: Jan 01, 2015, 11:02 PM »
Love my Eskimo quick fish 3 ! Durable quick and easy take down and damn warm for no insulation , keeps me on the ice for all day trips!!! Doors could be a little but better but I love it !!!!

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #37 on: Jan 01, 2015, 11:34 PM »
I have a clam nanook and it is wearing through the fabric already. one of the black push in things on the poles broke off as well. stuckwith it until i have the $ to get another 1 but when i do im not going with clam I can tell you that.
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline fiskasassassin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:04 AM »
Avoid Clam like the plague. I have had a Nanook for 2 seasons and am not impressed with the quality. And I take excellent care of my gear.  Anything Clam, avoid.
x2 clam is trash best two man i feel is the cabin style frabil sturdy poles easy to set up by my self has its own sled bottom lightweight tall enough for a six footer to set the hook standing in side and it will save you enough to buy a heater auger lunch spud etc paid 219 for mine ;)

Offline fiskasassassin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:11 AM »
found the frabil after an embarassing season struggling with a clam pop up >:( any body telling you clam is ok probably is family or friends of the owners

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:54 AM »

I bought this a few years ago. Lasted longer than my buddy's clam pop up. Looking to upgrade down the road but it gets the job done for me if I need relief from the cold. Plus it only cost me $89 brand new. Fabric is thin but it is super light and very easy up and down.

Offline mdm25549

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 03, 2015, 10:37 AM »
Hey guys thanks for all the opinions. I would up going with a frabill predator sidestep. Went to bps and sat in it and fell in love. Seems really well built and tons of room. Got ten percent off, 100 dollars in gift cards got runner kit and hitch wound up paying 800 for it all. Now here's to some good ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.