Author Topic: How big is your hole?  (Read 1203 times)

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
How big is your hole?
« on: Jan 18, 2010, 11:11 PM »
ok building another 8x12 hardside. My other has sleeping for 4 and 3 10" holes with covers. Was thinking of putting 1 3x4 and 1 10" in the new one. Maybe a 2 foot ponywall around it to lean on or for a bench top for drinkin time. Any thoughts. Will be fishing lakers from 30' on early ice to 10' for late ice. Maybe burbot, eelpout, cusk on occationally.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
Re: How big is your hole?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2010, 06:22 AM »
I would use a 10".

Just so I wouldn't have to drill holes very often, and fill up the shack with exhaust.

You already have one shack, so that should have given you some insight as to what you would do differently next time.

Here's a website that may help,

http://fishhousesupply.com

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2010, 03:14 PM »
Depends on how good your auger can reopen holes. I use an 8 inch and my auger can reopen the holes just fine. If you have to hand chisel them to reopen then I would go for the biggest hole you can.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2010, 03:22 PM »
My favorite layout is what the outfitters on Lake Simcoe in Ontario do.
It is a 2'X5' cutout in the middle of the floor with benches along each wall and the heater on the end wall.
They use an ice saw or chain saw to open a hole in the ice about the same size as the hole in the floor.
Great for site fishing, getting biggun's in and spearing.
Like this:

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2010, 03:50 PM »
My favorite layout is what the outfitters on Lake Simcoe in Ontario do.
It is a 2'X5' cutout in the middle of the floor with benches along each wall and the heater on the end wall.
They use an ice saw or chain saw to open a hole in the ice about the same size as the hole in the floor.
Great for site fishing, getting biggun's in and spearing.
Like this:

(Image removed from quote.)
OR IF YOU HAD BEEN FISHING ALL WEEKEND AND YOUR BUDDY IS GETTING A LITTLE RIPE YOU CAN FLUSH HIM IN THE HOLE TO CLEAN HIM UP A BIT ;D

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2010, 05:05 PM »
That title can sure be misleading. If my wife heard that comment you would sure be quickly feeling a firm swat. ;)
Yeah wanted to catch peoples eye..I like the hole in the center drifter but we will be staying at the shack for 3-4 days at a time with drinkin involved everyday (I hope) would like to put it in one corner so 2 people could fish it and kinda outta the way as to the magnetic hole effect doesn't come into play to much. I will certainly build a pony wall around it so I can lean and place a top over the hole when not in use. Should cut down on the "oops there it goes" effect most big holes have. Thanks and keep the suggestions coming.

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2010, 05:31 PM »
Make bunks on both sides and have the lower ones on a hinge. Cut holes in the floor near the wall so you can make 2- 1'X3' races under each of the bunks in each corner. Put small toe kick boards up to help prevent someone kicking something into the holes.

That would make some real nice combo sleeper/smelt shacks for around here.
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.