The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hot laker action  (Read 2291 times)

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hot laker action
« on: Mar 16, 2015, 06:50 PM »
First, I'd like to give a big thanks to Drew (FlyPredatorVT) for sharing some info with me on where to find some lakers.  Prior to this year, I'd never targeted lakers and have only caught them on accident through the ice, so when he told me he'd caught a bunch of them - on jig rods, I wanted in.  After fishing with him and landing a few lakers myself, I got laker fever.  I ended up planning a weekday with my girlfriend and ended up inviting my friend Chris who I knew would love it just as much as I did.  That day turned out to be great, and we all caught fish.  Last week, Chris and I took another day off and hit the water again.  This time, I brought my brother with me.  We had an epic day on the ice, managing to land 9 out of 18 lakers we had on.  We walked back to shore with smiles from ear to ear.   ;D

So when Friday rolled around, Chris called me and wanted to chase lakers again with his friend Erik who had never fished for lakers either.  Since I didn't want to overpopulate a spot that wasn't mine, I searched for a new location on Navionics..  After working out the small details with Chris, we set a time and location and we all met up, geared up, and walked over 2 miles to the spot I had in mind. 

We got there, drilled a hole to check depth to make sure we were in the right spot, and then I dropped my jig down.  We sat there for a minute or two hoping a fish would show up on my Marcum, but no dice.  I decided to cut half a dozen more holes to cover more ground, then Chris and Erik went behind me with their flasher to check.  As I got back to the first hole with my jig still in the water, I picked up my rod and began to reel up to change holes.  When I did that, I happened to look over at the Marcum and saw 4 fish chasing up my jig as I was reeling.  I knew right away my hunch about this spot was right.  I kept reeling up, and they kept chasing.  After a few seconds, I got a grab and missed the hookset.  I dropped back down to bottom and watched all 4 of the fish chase it do bottom.  I reeled up again and got hit immediately.  A laker was on the ice in minutes, and we were all celebrating.  I was shocked to have gotten into one so early.  For the next 3 hours or so, we had pretty steady action.  We ended up landing 8 lakers, and Erik got the biggest which was a 31" hog.  The bite slowed down, and it seemed like the fish had moved.  We would find a few every now and then, but for the most part they weren't interested in what we had to offer.  We had 4-5 more grabs, but couldn't seal the deal.

I decided I would work my way back to shore and headed back before them.   I'd stopped over 38 FOW, cut a hole and dropped a bibet down in hopes of maybe getting into some perch.  My bibet hit the bottom and as I reeled up a huge mark followed it and just sat there for maybe 6 seconds.  I jigged the bibet and popped it a few times - then WHAM.  It hit hard and was heavy!  I was thinking it was a monster yellow until I got it to the hole and saw the eyes.  It was a walleye that ate a bibet!  As I got its mouth out of the hole, it shook its head and popped the bibet out.  By the time I went to reach my hand in the water it was gone.  I started yelling and threw my rod across the ice.  I was stupid enough to throw on a bibet that still had paint over the barb  >:(  By the time everything was over, Chris and Erik had caught up with me after hearing me yell over to them.  We worked our way back to shore but didn't find anything else that day.  Yesterday I decided to fish out of my car for some yellows (and did really well) but they went back and Erik got an even bigger laker!  I'll let Chris tell that story!

Chris will be posting the rest of the pictures shortly, along with a video of some lakers from Saturday and then more footage from yesterday when they got a few more in only an hour of fishing. 

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Hot laker action
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2015, 07:03 PM »
thanks for updates. sounds like you had a blast and thats what its all about. one thing though i would like to see a video of you throwing your rod across the ice after seeing the paint still on the hook. lol.
to bad drew hasnt accomplished what him and i set out for this winter though. (whitefish)

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2015, 07:25 PM »
Awesome story. Nice lakers. I'm hoping to head out in a week or two and maybe try southern Champlain. I don't know where exactly, but I have had laker fever ever since I went to Crystal and was able to watch the fish react to my spoon on our fishfinder. Like you say, they really do chase it and they are normally very aggressive biters! Champlain is the only place still open for trout so there's no question where I will be going. Probably won't keep any lakers out of Champlain though. Last time we caught some out of a boat in early spring and they were nowhere near as good as a NEK trout. Still fun just to fight them, take pictures and let them go back down the hole. Tight lines to you guys, PB.  ;D :tipup:
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2015, 07:58 AM »
Nice day with the Lakers. Congrats
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2015, 08:02 AM »
Hey guys, here's a video I put together from this past weekend's outing on Champlain for lakers:

Sunday we were only out braving the wind and cold for about an hour, but hauled in a 32"er, and a 29"er less than ten minutes apart. So much fun (and a little nerve-wracking) to haul them in on jig rods!

If you're looking for a huge fish, you should definitely check out these gps coordinates: 46.008526, -91.479320   ;D

Offline johnrielly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2015, 08:03 AM »
congrats.. I was really surprised how easy it is to find lakers on champlain too.

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2015, 09:13 AM »
Did you pull off the lamprey on the first picture?  It looks like it was shot with a .22.   I always caught my biggest lakers closer to shore in the late season, find a rocky bottom in about 25-30 feet of water and you will be in business.  Nice fish.
A bent rod is a good rod!

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2015, 09:20 AM »
Did you pull off the lamprey on the first picture?  It looks like it was shot with a .22.   I always caught my biggest lakers closer to shore in the late season, find a rocky bottom in about 25-30 feet of water and you will be in business.  Nice fish.

Yeah definitely a pretty fresh lamprey wound! It probably came off when Matt was fighting the fish. We have seen one or two fish with little tiny lampreys on them, but no big ones. Almost every fish had scars/wounds though!

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2015, 09:54 AM »
I've never targeted lakers, and I've never even jigged before - I've always been after trout, and sometimes pike via tipup fishing...but this forum has some awesome laker fisherman, and you've wet my appetite.  If I can get a free day soon, I'm going to go give it a shot.  If not, I'll be on here next year begging for some coaching.  Those fish are too cool for me to not try for them.  Nice work Matt.

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2015, 10:09 AM »
An excellent post VTMatt! I enjoyed it because I am also a big fan of catching laker's while ice fishing! But there is one thing you must tell me! Wotinell is a bibet? It must be indigenous to New York or Vermont or wherever it is that you are from. Do you have some special reason why you haven't posted your location Dude? Are you afraid that someone might try to horn in on your honey-hole? You don't have to worry about me because I live too far away and I wouldn't do that in the first place, eh? Would you mind telling me in more detail about what kind of presentation you were using? It just might be something I would like to add to my personal plan of attack! Laker's are usually sucker's for anything that is bright and shiny! So I like to use a spoon or a jig that is plated with a precious metal. Like gold or silver. PK Lure's make's some good one's! So does William's, the Canadian outfit. Add a little meat, nice, stinky, frozen cisco is my favorite! Usually I will start on the bottom and work my way up the water column, or wherever my Vex show's me the laker's are hanging out! Talk about fun! Now you have me pumped! I'm thinking I should get out and do battle with some laker's! Good luck Dude! :icefish: DIRTBALL2 ;)2
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2015, 11:40 AM »
An excellent post VTMatt! I enjoyed it because I am also a big fan of catching laker's while ice fishing! But there is one thing you must tell me! Wotinell is a bibet? It must be indigenous to New York or Vermont or wherever it is that you are from. Do you have some special reason why you haven't posted your location Dude? Are you afraid that someone might try to horn in on your honey-hole? You don't have to worry about me because I live too far away and I wouldn't do that in the first place, eh? Would you mind telling me in more detail about what kind of presentation you were using? It just might be something I would like to add to my personal plan of attack! Laker's are usually sucker's for anything that is bright and shiny! So I like to use a spoon or a jig that is plated with a precious metal. Like gold or silver. PK Lure's make's some good one's! So does William's, the Canadian outfit. Add a little meat, nice, stinky, frozen cisco is my favorite! Usually I will start on the bottom and work my way up the water column, or wherever my Vex show's me the laker's are hanging out! Talk about fun! Now you have me pumped! I'm thinking I should get out and do battle with some laker's! Good luck Dude! :icefish: DIRTBALL2 ;)2

Appreciate the compliment!! I have seen first hand what happens when you publicly post a spot where you're catching fish. I won't go into detail but it has happened numerous times.  Our presentations were strictly swimbaits. Different colors and sizes worked. Key was to make them work for it. Also pumping the swimbait constantly is a must or else the tail won't thump and they lose interest. 2-4' steady pumps while hitting bottom every so often until the fish appears on the flasher. Once you have their attention, a fast and steady reel up usually triggers a follow and a strike while it's still moving. The dont seem to like when it stops ( most of the time anyway) and will also grab the swimbait on the way down too.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2015, 03:22 PM »

Oh and a bibet is a large jig for yellows.  It's lead on a hook in a teardrop kind of shape with paint on it. Many colors as well.  Bibet, bibbit, bibit, however you call it. I think it's a Champlain thing. Very deadly for yellows and most of the time they will hit it bare.  They work great for deep water since they're nice and heavy too.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2015, 05:06 PM »
Nice fish, nice vid ! :)

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2015, 06:26 PM »
Heres a couple pics of my 1st laker I caught Friday 30 incher, very nice fish but the coloration is a lot different than the ones in the videos. we took the pics as soon after the fish was on the ice to. are variations normal or is this just an ugly duckling? this fatty also had some huge bait fish in its belly on was like 8-9in. and silvery scales, slender but if it was a smelt was the biggest on ive seen. do alewives get that big?
Providing the weather is fishable Saturday Ive been looking over my maps and found a new spot I'd like to try as well
Love the videos guys!!, you might want to watch the profanities ;) its tuff for me to. lots of kids on this site
Catchem up!

Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 17, 2015, 06:40 PM »
Heres a couple pics of my 1st laker I caught Friday 30 incher, very nice fish but the coloration is a lot different than the ones in the videos. we took the pics as soon after the fish was on the ice to. are variations normal or is this just an ugly duckling? this fatty also had some huge bait fish in its belly on was like 8-9in. and silvery scales, slender but if it was a smelt was the biggest on ive seen. do alewives get that big?
Providing the weather is fishable Saturday Ive been looking over my maps and found a new spot I'd like to try as well
Love the videos guys!!, you might want to watch the profanities ;) its tuff for me to. lots of kids on this site
Catchem up!

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

That is a sweet fish!  We saw different patterns and colors on a lot of the fish. None of them were really the same. Some of the smaller ones looked more like a splake than a laker! 

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2015, 06:51 PM »
Catchem up!

Wow that's a nice fish! Interesting the spots are really muted to almost missing. Looks similar to those "Lunge" lakers that are native to Maidstone lake. Weird.

Glad you like the video! Sorry about all the cursing - there was plenty of excitement (and beer) on the ice, so it was tough not to. Maybe I should have bleeped the audio! Maybe on the next one. :) Good luck out there Saturday... I'm heading to St. Albans Bay then for White Perch. I have to think they are moving in there by now...

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #16 on: Mar 17, 2015, 07:29 PM »
Wow that's a nice fish! Interesting the spots are really muted to almost missing. Looks similar to those "Lunge" lakers that are native to Maidstone lake. Weird.

Glad you like the video! Sorry about all the cursing - there was plenty of excitement (and beer) on the ice, so it was tough not to. Maybe I should have bleeped the audio! Maybe on the next one. :) Good luck out there Saturday... I'm heading to St. Albans Bay then for White Perch. I have to think they are moving in there by now...
Well you are the fishingweatherman, I like lakers but love the white perch bites. You think its worth it to spend the day in st albans back on the hunt for whites?

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 17, 2015, 07:32 PM »
Well you are the fishingweatherman, I like lakers but love the white perch bites. You think its worth it to spend the day in st albans back on the hunt for whites?

If last year at this time is any judge, then I would say it is! They were starting to show up thicker than locusts at this time last year...

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #18 on: Mar 18, 2015, 06:51 AM »
If last year at this time is any judge, then I would say it is! They were starting to show up thicker than locusts at this time last year...
I really want to see that!

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 18, 2015, 07:00 AM »
I have to agree. It was a fun video to watch; but it was much better with the volume off...not a big fan of videos with a lot of cursing and "high fiving" in them.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 18, 2015, 07:02 AM »
Nice fish, Wes ... and a fantastic 1st laker!  That's a fatty.  Congrats!

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 18, 2015, 11:07 AM »
Solid fish in this post!

Nice job, 'fellas!

Offline FishHawkVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 18, 2015, 05:12 PM »
Awesome fish guys!

For those that were out on the main lake this past weekend (or since) - how was the ice? Same as the previous weekend or have we lost some?

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 18, 2015, 06:09 PM »
Lost some but after these cold nights it will even out I bet.

Offline FishHawkVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 18, 2015, 06:18 PM »
Thanks Matt. Had 2 goals this season - first walleye through the ice and jig some lakers. Took care of the first and hoping to try for the second again this weekend - two unsuccessful outings so far.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #25 on: Mar 19, 2015, 08:52 AM »
Excellent work!  ;D ;D

screen capture tool

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.