The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New to flashers!  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
New to flashers!
« on: Sep 13, 2014, 12:16 AM »
This is the year!! The year I'm finally going to bite the bullet and spend the money to buy a flasher. I've never fished with one before, never even seen one used in person before. Only what I can find on youtube. Without starting a debate war  ;) was wondering what you guys would suggest as a good unit to go with as a newbie to this style of fishing. Also where to purchase them and what accessories are a good idea.

Offline walley250

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New to flashers!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2014, 12:52 AM »
What depths do you typically fish, and what is your budget?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2014, 06:33 AM »
What depths do you typically fish, and what is your budget?

this is a very good post ...prices may be a lil dated but in the neighborhood

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=228121.0

Price point seems to be the way most shop ...$300-$350 will get you into the base units ....after that its the features and brand that adds to the cost.

Best add on to have is a bag for the case ...Marcum VX1 comes with a bag and that's a entry level unit most others its an extra purchase

Transducer cone angle should also figure into your purchase

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=203154.0

lots of places to purchase ...Bass pro...Cabelas...Gander ...Mills fleet farm...Blains Farm...L&M Fleet...Red Rock Wilderness...etc

do your research...pick your unit ...find your retailer ...lot of free shipping on Flashers ..beware some retailers do  not ...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2014, 06:52 AM »
You are probably going to get many opinions, but there is no single correct answer.  You will have your Vex supporters tell you to buy a Vex, same with the Marcum, and Bird supporters.  All 3 companies make good solid units.  That being said, none of the 3 companies make 100%  defect free product either. 

One thing I can tell you is that once you get used to the flasher that you buy, you will be amazed at how much it helps you catch more fish, and become a better fisherman.  You can see how fish react to your jigging style, and bait.  You can see what technique triggers a response.  Last but not least, it allows you to be mobile, and move to find fish rather than fishing a non productive hole.

If you can afford it, I would suggest going a step or 2 up from the entry level flasher of the company of your choice.   That way you get some extra features that are really nice, and may keep you from upgrading for a number of years.

It is a tough decision.  I spent a couple of months looking, researching, and asking questions before buying mine.  I ended up getting a Bird 45.  I have been very happy with it, with no issues or complaints in the 5 years I have had it.  That being said, I am sure that I would be happy with a Vex or Marcum too.  Good Luck with whatever flasher ou decide to buy, and Good Luck on the ice.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2014, 07:15 AM »
Agreed ...a lot of features to choose from ..some you may use or not

Forgot to mention to go to each manufactures YouTube sites and view  view and view  ..also some other Tubers have did some tutorials and reviews on units ...when I researched mine 12 plus years ago ...very limited research to be done ..not much out there ...not sure that's was such a bad thing ...with todays "web enhanced information" my head would have spun off .. I researched a Marcum VX 1 for a buddy last season ...the amount of info out there on that unit is amazing ...he did end up making a purchase of the Marcum .. As stated any flasher will get you on fish or make you move to get on fish ...will change things up for certain .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline themooser98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2014, 09:36 AM »
Last year I bought a Vexilar FL8 Genz Pack after a couple of years of just thinking about it. Got it from Glen's Army Navy along with a carrying bag for a little over $300. I never used one either, didn't take long to figure out how to use. After fishing last season with it I wish I had got one years ago!!
Ya shoulda bin here yesterday!!!!!

Offline Mike Reilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2014, 06:35 PM »
broke down and bought a marcum 5  last year like said above by one that has more features if you can so you can dial out other flashers if you fish with someone else that has one  but you will never fish without one once you have one they help you be mobile that for sure i hardly use tip ups now  because your able to find the fish easier good luck tight lines

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2014, 10:13 AM »
Walley -  For me depths can Vary. I fish a lot of different bodies of water and depends on what I'm fishing for. Usually though the shallowest I'm jigging in is about 5ft of water all the way up to around 100 for lakers. I don't have a "firm" budget but I'm definitely going to get the most for my buck. I'd like to stay under 400.

Thanks for the helpful posts everyone. I'm probably going to end up ordering it online after doing more research on youtube. After being part of this online community for the past 3 ice seasons now and reading about how everyone loves theirs and never going back I have to see for myself!

I also purchased a GoPro this summer so I'll be sure to show whichever unit I get in a few of the videos.

Good luck to you too and stay safe

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2014, 11:59 AM »
  For me depths can Vary. I fish a lot of different bodies of water and depends on what I'm fishing for. Usually though the shallowest I'm jigging in is about 5ft of water all the way up to around 100 for lakers. I don't have a "firm" budget but I'm definitely going to get the most for my buck. I'd like to stay under 40

You may want to look at a adjustable water column zoom flasher(most are bottom zoom 5ft,6ft or 12ft) ...I am sure you'll kick across that option in your research. .not sure there is a unit in the $ 400 dollar range but deserves a consideration based on your type/species of fishing . 

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2014, 05:37 PM »
Walley -  For me depths can Vary. I fish a lot of different bodies of water and depends on what I'm fishing for. Usually though the shallowest I'm jigging in is about 5ft of water all the way up to around 100 for lakers. I don't have a "firm" budget but I'm definitely going to get the most for my buck. I'd like to stay under 400.

Thanks for the helpful posts everyone. I'm probably going to end up ordering it online after doing more research on youtube. After being part of this online community for the past 3 ice seasons now and reading about how everyone loves theirs and never going back I have to see for myself!

I also purchased a GoPro this summer so I'll be sure to show whichever unit I get in a few of the videos.

Will, I can tell you that I'm on a tight budget and relatively new to ice fishing in general, been at it going on 4 seasons this coming winter.
I didn't want to spend bundles of money on things I wasn't certain I'd actually stick with, like a flasher. My 2nd season in this  type of fishing I got a VX-1P as a Christmas gift and spent $250 on it. Great entry level unit that does everything I need from a flasher. Only thing that's a drawback is the power output makes for issues in depths over 100FOW. When it gets past 80FOW it tends to need higher gain in order to define things.
Last season, the unit started acting up and I contacted Chris at Marcum, he sent me a return authorization and off the unit shipped. Got it back in a couple weeks with a new transducer/cable and he even took the added steps of replacing some electronic component and even thru in a snow shield!
Needless to say I'm impressed with Marcum and will look to them when the day comes to hand this one down to my kids and/or upgrade.

Offline lazypaddler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Sep 14, 2014, 06:21 PM »
I just bought my first flasher last year and like you I had a lot of questions. I went with the Humminbird 45. I found it to be really easy to use. It did take me a few times out to get it tuned in but once I did I was amazed by it. I did, however, take a small piece of wood and make an arm to extend out over the hole like the Marcum units. All in all I'm very happy with it.

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 14, 2014, 10:18 PM »
After watching a lot of Youtube videos I definitely like the idea of the "Zoom" where you can see just the bottom in deep water.

That's a good story mudchuck! It's nice when the company backs up its products like that and is very helpful going above and beyond. Makes me a little more likely to do business with them when they treat customers like that.

Thats a good idea Lazypaddler. If the unit I come with doesn't include one I'll do the same.

With more money now I'll definitely have a much better ice fishing set up this year! Already got the flip over shanty and now with all your help I'll be making a decision on a flasher and ordering one pretty soon. Hoping to get on the ice early again this year and do some Ice fishing/ Muzzle loading again!  ;D

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sep 15, 2014, 08:41 PM »
Good luck & tight lines! I'm sure you'll be satisifed with whichever brand you choose and whatever model you select that you can afford. I'm of a mindset that all 3 major manufacturers are good and you can't go wrong with Marcum, Vex or Hummingbird.

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 16, 2014, 01:58 PM »
From the reviews I've done I'm pretty confident I'm going to go with the Marcum LX6. It's a bit high dollar for a first unit, but not on sale, I can get it for 539.99 on Sportsmansguide right now... But my question is, when is the best time to buy? I'm sure from people who have bought them in the past know about the time of year they drop in price. I'm going to hold off on ordering it until at least December 1st unless I find a good deal before then. October-April is always the best time of the year and it's almost here!! :D

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Sep 16, 2014, 02:16 PM »
From the reviews I've done I'm pretty confident I'm going to go with the Marcum LX6. It's a bit high dollar for a first unit, but not on sale, I can get it for 539.99 on Sportsmansguide right now... But my question is, when is the best time to buy? I'm sure from people who have bought them in the past know about the time of year they drop in price. I'm going to hold off on ordering it until at least December 1st unless I find a good deal before then. October-April is always the best time of the year and it's almost here!! :D

Black Friday coming up ...along with Christmas ...if you find it 20% off MSRP ...its a deal any more its a steal

sign up for the Emails of Reeds, Marine general, Dicks sporting Cabelas,BPS Red rock wilderness store ,Mills fleet, Blains fleet  and L&M fleet  and any others you kick across .. sometimes l will add it to my cart and they may notify you of a price drop ...don't forget to get free shipping  most electronic retailer do but some don't ...

and search for coupon codes for above retailers from time to time

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #15 on: Sep 24, 2014, 03:04 PM »
Will.. I would say get the Best flasher that you can afford because i can tell you this i wont fish with out my vexilar. Bye the way .. i have a 3 different flasher and I have a very nice Fl-22HD, that i could sell you if you are interested in it. This flasher is awesome up to depths of 60 feet and works great on a Boat too. let me know if you are interested in.
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 24, 2014, 03:06 PM »
You are probably going to get many opinions, but there is no single correct answer.  You will have your Vex supporters tell you to buy a Vex, same with the Marcum, and Bird supporters.  All 3 companies make good solid units.  That being said, none of the 3 companies make 100%  defect free product either. 

One thing I can tell you is that once you get used to the flasher that you buy, you will be amazed at how much it helps you catch more fish, and become a better fisherman.  You can see how fish react to your jigging style, and bait.  You can see what technique triggers a response.  Last but not least, it allows you to be mobile, and move to find fish rather than fishing a non productive hole.

If you can afford it, I would suggest going a step or 2 up from the entry level flasher of the company of your choice.   That way you get some extra features that are really nice, and may keep you from upgrading for a number of years.

It is a tough decision.  I spent a couple of months looking, researching, and asking questions before buying mine.  I ended up getting a Bird 45.  I have been very happy with it, with no issues or complaints in the 5 years I have had it.  That being said, I am sure that I would be happy with a Vex or Marcum too.  Good Luck with whatever flasher ou decide to buy, and Good Luck on the ice.

Well said..  :thumbsup:
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 24, 2014, 03:10 PM »

Will what you did you buy for a Go Pro ?? Thats what i use to do all my video and i love it. I am also looking to get another Go pro so i can film at different angles. Bye the way i would suggest getting a Good Video editing software program , because the go pro studio sucks in my opinion.  Now you film awesome videos like the Bigwiggle..  ;D ;D

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Sep 24, 2014, 09:17 PM »
Will what you did you buy for a Go Pro ?? Thats what i use to do all my video and i love it. I am also looking to get another Go pro so i can film at different angles. Bye the way i would suggest getting a Good Video editing software program , because the go pro studio sucks in my opinion.  Now you film awesome videos like the Bigwiggle..  ;D ;D

I got the GoPro Hero 3 Silver. It's taken awesome videos this summer and Im sure it will through the hunting seasons and hardwater seasons coming up. I already got a different editing software. I have the same feeling towards GoPro Studio.

I think I've made the decision for the unit I'm getting but thanks for the offer!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.