The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Muskie in Champlain  (Read 2318 times)

Offline esoxmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Sleep & Breath Pike
Muskie in Champlain
« on: Dec 25, 2009, 10:29 AM »
Had a huge one chase to the boat a few years back... Was this a rare sight or is there a fishable population in champlain? Anyone know where I might be able to hook a few through the ice?
~Matt~

Offline ChamplainTigerShark

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Muskie in Champlain
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2009, 11:35 AM »
Restoration efforts are underway, with stocking of juveniles in both the missisquoi and otter creek drainages. I havent heard about any adults being caught since 2005 when the state record was broke twice in just over a month.

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2009, 12:13 PM »
Minnesota

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2009, 02:20 PM »
At this time muskie season closed year round on Champloain. Say a prayer for our bridge and fishing access. Come monday they will never be the same.  :'(  :tipup:
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline esoxmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2009, 02:41 PM »
oh damn thats no good.  >:( Muskie were once native in champlain in relatively large numbers from what I know... Something with dams or pollution in maybe the great chazy river wiped alot out and now apparently the only native ones are of the vermont strain originating in the missiquoi river... all the rest are stocked. Thats what I read
~Matt~

Offline esoxmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2009, 03:30 PM »
That is a great video to watch. I really hope that the program goes well. Thanks for posting  ;D
~Matt~

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2009, 08:00 PM »
You are right. Catch and release only. Sorry for the mistake. Caught a beauty through the ice in 87 @ singing cedars. Sure do miss those walleye! Mostly fish northerns/walleye on conn. river now with an occasional trip to magog. SMELT.......bait of the fish gods!
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2009, 11:03 AM »
You are right. Catch and release only. Sorry for the mistake. Caught a beauty through the ice in 87 @ singing cedars. Sure do miss those walleye! Mostly fish northerns/walleye on conn. river now with an occasional trip to magog. SMELT.......bait of the fish gods!

I hear allot of people talking about singing cedars, where is it located?

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2009, 12:00 PM »
I hear allot of people talking about singing cedars, where is it located?
North of Benson. Actualy Benson Bay. North on 22a, Northcross rd. on left, take that to old stage rd.,  take right. You will come to Singing Cedars rd. on left.Follow that to the lake and enjoy!
 Comeing south on 22a you can take cook rd./Stevens Orchard rd. to stage rd. left, Singing Cedars rd. will then be on the right.  :icefish:

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:08 AM »
First and only one I ever caught (and released) was in St. Albans bay Jan. 1995.  Length 31".....was only in 2' of water.

Have not caught one since.
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2009, 04:23 PM »
Got a tiger muskie four years ago on a fly rod in the Missisquoi river in Swanton.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.