Author Topic: Bullheads through the ice  (Read 21535 times)

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Bullheads through the ice
« Reply #30 on: Feb 16, 2015, 12:38 PM »
When I was a kid I got to go with a bunch of old timers that fished at night for hornpout. They had not done it this time, but what they said they would often do is sink a cows head to the bottom (open and hard water) and that would make for good fishing for a while... I never wanted to get hornpout enough to go to the trouble...

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #31 on: Dec 27, 2016, 05:36 AM »
okay I know I am leaving myself open on this question but here it goes... but does anyone ever chum or drop bait down the hole overnight for bulls/cats and come back in the following days?

Josh
[/quote

Yes I have.
 Go get yourself a bag of "Sow Chow" from the local feed store. Drop a few handfuls down each hole. It swells, then sinks to the bottom.
 Just check local and state regulations first.
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline Seus

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Not all who wander are Lost!
« Reply #32 on: Apr 07, 2022, 12:40 PM »
some nice pic's of Channel Cats, very few bullheads though. Still nice to see them being caught through the ice, I live in Canada and I have never caught one through the ice.
Seus

Keep'em Tight!
Not all who wander are Lost!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #33 on: Apr 07, 2022, 12:51 PM »
Used to get a plastic container of chicken gizzards from the butcher shop, and let it sit out at room temp or in the sun a few days. Hook a gob of that on a #4 baithold hook, or larger, and drop to bottom. Let lay with a few jigs now and then. You'll get a kitty.  ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline fatty crusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Apr 07, 2022, 01:19 PM »
I have had luck? Catching them unintentionally while camping. 6 to 9 fow, edge of weeds, it may just be a honey hole but I've caught them on waxies, shiners, fat heads, even on a 2 inch rattle bait 2' under the ice that was sitting still since I mostly use that for calling in fish. My guess would be location is most important.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.