Author Topic: Need some expert advise  (Read 1478 times)

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
Need some expert advise
« on: Feb 08, 2012, 08:07 AM »
I catch them in the midday of summer but having a rough time figuring out there haunts or habits during ice fishing season.  I tried night fishing in the coves at nightboth tipups medium bait shiners, I tried severalkinds of my favorite walleye jigs and still trying to find them. The reservoir I fish in deep at one end, due to fluctuations in water drawdown, there is no weedbeds/weedlines in this drink but plenty of huge rocks and drop offs. Lastly the deepest end of the lake has no safe and wondering if walleye natural migrate to the deepest end of lakes during hardwater season? tia

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
Re: Need some expert advise
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2012, 11:04 AM »
How deep is the deepest part? and how deep is the rest of the lake that is frozen with safe ice?  Mid winter I find they are a little deeper.  I fish a reservoir all winter for walleye which also has no weeds or very little, and I like to fish along the old river channel from first ice thru mid winter, then at last ice I will fish shallow shoreline structure.  In the early part I fish on the upper part of reservoir.  The upper part is shallower but still fairly deep at first ice (30' in the channel), then I move down to the mid section where its a little deeper on average for the rest of the winter as winter drawdown usually makes the upper part of the reservoir way too shallow by this time. For the most part reservoir walleye are alot more like river walleye than lake walleye.  If you have a depth map which shows the river channel I would find it and fish it, or maybe you know where it is from open water fishing.  I find there is always fish relating to the old river channel where I fish year round, but theres times especially at last ice where shallow is usually best for catching.  However, because there is always fish in and along the channel its like a "safety net" so to speak for me, so if I am trying shallower or even sometimes other deeper structures away from the river with no success because its either just a tough day and/or I'm trying a new spot, I can usually move to one of my favorite old river channel spots and save the day at least and pick up afew fish.

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2012, 07:56 PM »
I been doing exactly what you mentioned.. I studied and learned the riverbed channels during openwater.. I use my showdown 5.6  through the ice and find the channels /breaks/structures and yet I have had no luck. I suspect most have migrated to the deepest parts of the lk. I will continue trying if the ice holds the rest of this month.. This warm weather is likely to  shorten the hardwater soon anyway. And I'll be able to find out ;D But thanks for sharing

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2012, 08:33 AM »
They could very well be in the deepest part right now then, if you're not finding anything.  Good luck.

Offline mattg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2012, 11:14 AM »
I been doing exactly what you mentioned.. I studied and learned the riverbed channels during openwater.. I use my showdown 5.6  through the ice and find the channels /breaks/structures and yet I have had no luck. I suspect most have migrated to the deepest parts of the lk. I will continue trying if the ice holds the rest of this month.. This warm weather is likely to  shorten the hardwater soon anyway. And I'll be able to find out ;D But thanks for sharing

Are you marking any fish at all on the showdown? Keep in mind this is the toughest part of the year to find walleye. 

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2012, 06:15 PM »
No big fish at all and when I do see fish,they are far between and small crappie and perch.. one long day back in late January ice fishing produced maybe half a dozen  11 and 12 inch YP and few throwbacks. So they do come around but most the time it is pretty hard finding them. Yes the walleye are definitely hard to find through the ice and are likely suspended where the ice is too thin these days.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.