Author Topic: Burbot????  (Read 5476 times)

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Burbot????
« on: Jan 13, 2009, 09:15 PM »
Does anyone Know of any inland lakes in the central UP containing good numbers of these slippery little rascals? I catch a few on Little Bay De Noc but it is a lot of hours for a few fish.

Offline hunterdan1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Burbot????
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2009, 06:08 AM »
I'm seen some small one in the rivers around Trenary growing up but I don't know any of the lakes that have them.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2009, 06:17 AM »
Have not heard of any inland lakes having them.
Chris Raymond

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:00 AM »
I don't know if its worth the drive but I've seen guys catch them in the lower harbor of marquette. I also heard burbot can be caught in munising bay. good luck finding some fish, I've never caught one before but I might give it a try this year.

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:28 AM »
I don't know if its worth the drive but I've seen guys catch them in the lower harbor of marquette. I also heard burbot can be caught in munising bay. good luck finding some fish, I've never caught one before but I might give it a try this year.

They are worth the effort. Unsurpassed eating quality. Don't let the looks turn you off.

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:35 AM »
They are worth the effort. Unsurpassed eating quality. Don't let the looks turn you off.
yea i've heard they taste great. i would defenetially be frying it up if i caught one.

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:39 AM »
yea i've heard they taste great. i would defenetially be frying it up if i caught one.

They are ok fried however, 1 tablespoon sea salt in 2 quarts of water. Cut fish in 1 inch cubes and boil 3 mins. dip in melted butter. Fresh water lobster!! Remove all dark colored meat also.

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:44 AM »
might have to give that a try

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2009, 08:48 AM »
caught two on huron bay last sunday. one was small, but the second was 25+.

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2009, 08:59 AM »
caught two on huron bay last sunday. one was small, but the second was 25+.

Did you get them after dark?

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2009, 09:30 AM »
i catch them every year in christmas..   out in front of the bay furnace mouth   they usually eat anything you have down there!    also  coho,  steelhead, splake, BIG perch and other mystery fish   havent heard if theres ice there yet...its more of a feb. march place

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2009, 09:42 AM »
nope. caught one before noon and the other a short time after that

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2009, 10:13 AM »
i catch them every year in christmas..   out in front of the bay furnace mouth   they usually eat anything you have down there!    also  coho,  steelhead, splake, BIG perch and other mystery fish   havent heard if theres ice there yet...its more of a feb. march place

Thanks for the info Arn. Will probably see you there. Driving a red yota 4x4.

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2009, 10:16 AM »
You might want to try BDN during the Burbot spawn- late Feb into early March. Head out into 60 feet, drop a big shiner just off the bottom, and wait for flags to fly. If the run is on, it's nothing to land 10 in an hour.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2009, 10:53 AM »
You might want to try BDN during the Burbot spawn- late Feb into early March. Head out into 60 feet, drop a big shiner just off the bottom, and wait for flags to fly. If the run is on, it's nothing to land 10 in an hour.

You must be going right out of Esky to get the water depth. Thanks for the info, I'll be working it hard.

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2009, 10:55 AM »
ill look for ya!     also.. i have a buddy that fishes for burbot at night with a chunk of smelt on a tip up and puts it on the bottom.   thats not around here ..same fish though

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2009, 11:06 AM »
ill look for ya!     also.. i have a buddy that fishes for burbot at night with a chunk of smelt on a tip up and puts it on the bottom.   thats not around here ..same fish though

I've taken all mine at night with 4" golden shiners about a foot off the bottom. End up catching a few eyes as a bycatch with this system.

Offline benzie rover

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: BBDN for Burbot
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2009, 02:35 PM »
I am a burbot fan myself and have found BBDN to be a bit better than LBDN for numbers and size of them. Might just be the lack of other anglers to compete with and their voracious pre and post spawn appetite, but we always do well on them on tip-ups on BBDN. Got 3 fish this past weekend near Pocupine point, out in the middle of abosult no where in 16' of water... like zero structure, just flat bottom for miles and miles. Anyway, bunch of dudes and bunch of flags and we got 3, so they are just starting to come in and they were all full of eggs or milt. Try off of Kates Bay or right in front of Gardon Corners out in 12-15' of water now thru ice out and you should get plenty of pout. I prefer sucker minnows or smelt if you can get them. Our group only used suckers last weekend and got 2 walleygators (28.5 and 30.5"), 4 burbot and 5 pike for a couple days of true solitude fishing... well, solitude until the man in green paid us a visit out of no where coming all the way from LBDN!?!?! like around the horn!! crazy dudes I tell ya, but otherwise, no one on our side of the bay and the sun was out. Also, try kicking up some bottom if you want to attract them jiggin... but we only used flags

good luck on those freshwater cod!
Matt

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: BBDN for Burbot
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2009, 06:00 PM »
I am a burbot fan myself and have found BBDN to be a bit better than LBDN for numbers and size of them. Might just be the lack of other anglers to compete with and their voracious pre and post spawn appetite, but we always do well on them on tip-ups on BBDN. Got 3 fish this past weekend near Pocupine point, out in the middle of abosult no where in 16' of water... like zero structure, just flat bottom for miles and miles. Anyway, bunch of dudes and bunch of flags and we got 3, so they are just starting to come in and they were all full of eggs or milt. Try off of Kates Bay or right in front of Gardon Corners out in 12-15' of water now thru ice out and you should get plenty of pout. I prefer sucker minnows or smelt if you can get them. Our group only used suckers last weekend and got 2 walleygators (28.5 and 30.5"), 4 burbot and 5 pike for a couple days of true solitude fishing... well, solitude until the man in green paid us a visit out of no where coming all the way from LBDN!?!?! like around the horn!! crazy dudes I tell ya, but otherwise, no one on our side of the bay and the sun was out. Also, try kicking up some bottom if you want to attract them jiggin... but we only used flags

good luck on those freshwater cod!
Matt

Thanks for the info Matt, I'll give it a whirl on Sunday when temps are a bit more favorable for running tip up's.

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2009, 09:03 PM »
Bay de noc I have caught them there using wigglers and did good to

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2009, 08:53 AM »
You must be going right out of Esky to get the water depth. Thanks for the info, I'll be working it hard.

Yup- I usually go right off by the Terrace.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2009, 12:39 PM »
Yup- I usually go right off by the Terrace.

I've got my big shack right in front of the terrace. Black with silver corners, located right on the break. Stop by and say hi if you are up this way chasing waldads. I'm usuall there everyday from 3-7.

Offline icedflies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:28 PM »
I guess this kind of falls under this catagory... buddy of mine caught an eelpout out on Greenwood tonight... ugly looking fish.

Offline bmbiff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2009, 12:26 AM »
I caught one last year in Copper Harbor, kept it and ate it for the first time. I will never be throwing them back ever again!

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2009, 06:39 PM »
I guess this kind of falls under this catagory... buddy of mine caught an eelpout out on Greenwood tonight... ugly looking fish.
As the saying goes, never judge a book by it's cover!

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2009, 01:17 PM »
Thanks everyone who contributed your 2 cent's worth into this topic. It looks like I have a few new spots to try thanks to everyones input. THANK"S again everyone, hope your lines stay tight!

Erin

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:50 PM »
   They got em in Michigamme Res.

Spin

Offline tapsboy68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2009, 10:55 PM »
anyone been catching any of these fish? if im not mistaken they should be spawning about now.

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 15, 2009, 10:14 PM »
I'm going to make a concentrated effort this weekend. I will give you the results---hopefully good!!

Offline Rippenlips

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Is it a keeepeerrr???"
« Reply #29 on: Feb 23, 2009, 05:58 PM »
Go to munising bay after dark, throw a chunk of cut bait on a red hook and send her to that bottom, you'll catch em.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.