Author Topic: Cobbetts/Canobie safe yet??  (Read 1893 times)

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
Cobbetts/Canobie safe yet??
« on: Dec 21, 2007, 08:54 AM »
Was thinking about hitting Cobbetts or Canobie on Sunday morning before the rain comes in.  Anyone have confirmed reports that the ice is safe for foot traffic? (>= 5")?  Thanks in advance!!!

Offline cusker

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Cobbetts/Canobie safe yet??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2007, 11:28 AM »
Hey Steve,

Cobbetts is being fished close.  A few brave souls going further out.  Soon.

Bill Merrill

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2007, 12:45 PM »
Thanks Bill.  Hope you had a great year and maybe I'll see you on the ice this winter??

Happy Holidays....Steve H.

Offline JigThis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2007, 03:31 PM »
Havent seen anyone on Canobie yet, but not sure on ice thickness.  Water levels were low at the time of freeze; so traditionally shallow areas are way down, so Windham ramp area would be a no brainer, not sure about the Salem water pump building...it is sometimes tricky there.

Offline thefinlessbrown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2007, 07:03 PM »
hey steve i was thinking about cobbetts also let me know how you do and conditions also if you don't mind thx bob

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2007, 03:53 PM »
We fished the north end of cobbetts today. The rain/fog lowered the snow cover down quite a bit. The ice was covered with a thin layer of ice over slush. Some areas you could walk ok others you'd plunk thru the top layer into the slush. We hammered the large mouth. I lost count. We ahd three decent sized pic's and some small yellow perch. Two kibba's and a bunch of Large mouth. Largest was around 3lbs.
Best part of the day was when Ol'Rusty put his rod down on the ice to go get a flag towards shore. At the time I was marking something big just a few feet under the ice. After a few minutes I got up and headed towards our base camp when I noticed O'lRustys rod was gone. I asked if he put it somewhere and he said "are you joking with me?". I assured him I wasn't. A fish hit his jig and took the pole down the hole. A lesson learned to secure your rod when you leave it to attend a flag. Anyway I figured I'd drill around his spot and drop the camera down and see if I could see his rod. Four holes no luck. I dropped the camera down the jig hole and spun it and low and behold I saw his rod. Now I had to get a lure into it to snag it. Several holes later I snagged the rod and landed the bad boy. Ol'Rusty was so happy he bought me lunch!

Great day on the water and the conditions were actually better than we thought they would be.

About 3" of black ice and 2" of snow ice, 3" water on top of that with an occasional snowice covering good enough to support our weight. If it gets cold it should make it nice again.
One thing for sure a 4wheeler could get out on that when it gets thick enough.

NO MORE SNOW!

Spike
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2007, 11:28 PM »
Canobie looked similar to Cobbetts.  I drove by it on N. Policy this am.

Offline shaun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2007, 10:48 AM »
WAS OUT ON COBBETTS THIS MORNING AND FISHED THE BEACH AREA.   645-900 AND NOT ONE FLAG..  SOME GUYS HEADED OUT TO THE MIDDLE AREA AND SAID THAT THERE WAS PLENTY OF ICE OUT THERE 5IN BLACK WITH SOME WHITE ON TOP..  I AM HEADING BACK THERE THIS AFTERNOON...  AT THE BEACH AREA THERE WAS ABOUT 6IN OF WHITE ICE AND 3-5IN OF BLACK..  IN SOME AREAS THE WHITE ICE WASNT COMPLETELY FROZEN...  3IN WHITE 2IN SLOP 3-5IN BLACK... HOPE THIS HELPS....  SHAUN

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.