Author Topic: butter worms  (Read 706 times)

Offline xjam721

• IceShanty Rookie
butter worms
« on: Jan 11, 2015, 03:21 PM »
Has anyone every used butter worms. Figured I'd goto wally world and grab some nights crawlers they we're all out but had butter worms. Fished for about an hour two flags one was a bump and run,the other he ran with it pop the hook. I dropped the bait back down the hole and it hit the worm again and stole it. Wondering if it's popular for trout. I did manage one solid rainbow jigging so I didn't get skunked  at least.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: butter worms
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2015, 04:47 PM »
 ??? :tipup:  to the best of my knowledge butter worms and wax worms are the same thing.  I go through a 1,000 wax worms per season jigging for panfish.  I have used them jigging for rainbows and they seemed fine.   I have never put them under a tipup?   But?  You never know?
Dick

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2015, 06:02 PM »
??? :tipup:  to the best of my knowledge butter worms and wax worms are the same thing.  I go through a 1,000 wax worms per season jigging for panfish.  I have used them jigging for rainbows and they seemed fine.   I have never put them under a tipup?   But?  You never know?
Dick

These are two different things butter worms are larger, tougher,more orange colored, and more expensive.
Butter worms are a Chilean Moth larva, wax worms are a snout moth (beemoth) larva.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2015, 06:26 PM »
 ???bigger and more expensive are the important things?   
Dick

Offline fisherhawk55

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2015, 06:31 PM »
They work for trout the problem is they easily robe them off the hook so a trick I use to do is take a pair of Needle nose pliers and put a slight bend on the tip of the hook point outward it helped me nab some of those fish thieves them with a pimple is deadly for jigging

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.