Author Topic: any frozen manchester area  (Read 808 times)

Offline xcrashxboox

• IceShanty Rookie
any frozen manchester area
« on: Jan 16, 2012, 09:46 PM »
Any lakes around the Manchester area frozen . How about pleasant lake in deerfield . Last year was my first year ice fishing and loved it . Winny Derby was a blast. I want to get some ice fishing in.
I think I'm an addict. Fishing is my drug

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
Re: any frozen manchester area
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2012, 09:50 PM »
Auburn store side of Massabesic has 4-5 inches as of today. Drilled holes out about 200 yds. Good luck, stay safe, check as you go.

Capt. Black

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:02 PM »
Any lakes around the Manchester area frozen . How about pleasant lake in deerfield . Last year was my first year ice fishing and loved it . Winny Derby was a blast. I want to get some ice fishing in.

Pleasant lake is frozen/fishable but only has about 3" of good ice...after the last snowfall it is covered with 3-4" of snow which insulated/pushed down the ice and created some weak spots... I broke through today a few times in about 3 ft of water... I know the lake well and was aware of where I was fishing and how deep. Didnt get wet because I had my waders on ::) If you do decide to fish it take precautions and check as you go. The snow is very decieving and they are forecasting warmer temps/rain for tomorrow.

Offline xcrashxboox

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:05 PM »
For it to be safe how many inches of ice does if need to be

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:36 PM »
For it to be safe how many inches of ice does if need to be

Everyone has their own personal prefferance and NO ice should be considered 100% Safe. Personally, My general rule is that I do not go out on ice that is less than 4" thick unless I know for certain that Im not standing in a spot where the water would be over my head.  I also take other precautions on early/questionable ice such as safety picks, chisel, and rope/floatation device nearby just in case? Please also keep in mind that this has been a very awkward winter with warm temps, wind, and rains.... all factors that have negative effects on the ice.

Honestly, not to sound degrading but if you're not sure of what is considered safe? You may want to hold off and try a spot with thicker ice?
And again keep in mind, when you are unsure... You should always check as you go! Good Luck, Stay Safe!

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2012, 05:10 AM »
Well said
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2012, 11:36 AM »
Everyone has their own personal prefferance and NO ice should be considered 100% Safe. Personally, My general rule is that I do not go out on ice that is less than 4" thick unless I know for certain that Im not standing in a spot where the water would be over my head.  I also take other precautions on early/questionable ice such as safety picks, chisel, and rope/floatation device nearby just in case? Please also keep in mind that this has been a very awkward winter with warm temps, wind, and rains.... all factors that have negative effects on the ice.

Honestly, not to sound degrading but if you're not sure of what is considered safe? You may want to hold off and try a spot with thicker ice?
And again keep in mind, when you are unsure... You should always check as you go! Good Luck, Stay Safe!
Very well put. I will add that it's a good idea to fish with a partner when exploring new ice/lakes.

Capt. Black

Offline xcrashxboox

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2012, 11:47 AM »
Yea , I'm iffy about going out if no bob house out or I don't see atv/sled out theres on the early season. Once its all locked and I see it getting more busier than I can be comfy and relax a bit more...and ease my mind about not falling in. I did order Eskimo shark z51 10 inch auger today from glens. I'm excited but worried I might not get to use my gears as much cause things didn't seem to be freezing .

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2012, 12:32 PM »
I am from Manchester too.  Although I have not checked it myself I have seen people out on Stevens Pond.  I would assume that Crystal Lake in the city has some walkable ice on it at this point as well.  Again I have not checked it myself but when I drove by last week it was totally iced over and we had those 2 crazy cold nights over the weekend.

Offline Sinker19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2012, 01:30 PM »
I saw a couple guys fishing and a few skating on Crystal Sunday afternoon. Didn't get out to check as I had football to watch. Good luck and stay safe!

Offline Nitro16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2012, 01:33 PM »
Went to Stevens pond yesterday to try auger after card rebuild and there was 8-9 inches of nice black ice.
Born to fish, forced to work....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.