Author Topic: Chain pickerel  (Read 13747 times)

Offline dollartrifecta

• Team IceShanty Regular
Chain pickerel
« on: Jan 10, 2009, 03:26 PM »
I dont know much about chain pickerel, I was wonder what a trophy pickerel is in length and weight... we got one today on Lake George  close to 5lbs and 28 inches

Offline matty23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • gone fishing...........
Re: Chain pickerel
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2009, 03:42 PM »
thats not bad we caught 2 on schroon lake 32" 9lbs and 34" 9.5lbs  they would be state records if they had a category for ice fishing
matty23

Offline icefishinsteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2009, 03:50 PM »
Pickeral must be popular this year. I just got a 27" 6lb pickeral out of Thompsons lake on tuesday. In just 8 foot of water no less. What a fat boy he was.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2009, 03:52 PM »
Anything over 24" is a pretty special catch in my opinion. In many waters, pickerel simply don't get that big. They max out in the low 30" range.

Offline perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2009, 04:35 PM »
I guess if I caught a pickeral over 5/6 lbs, I'd be happy.  I usually get pissed as they are really ruining some great fishing waters over here in central NY, the average length is approx. 20".  Some guys leave 'em on the ice for the birds if they don't keep 'em to help the other species.  But if they get that big, I would bother with the Y-bone to get that meat.

Offline herbc69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2009, 05:08 PM »
here in maine anything over 25 inches is a great pickeral

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2009, 07:53 PM »
I don't know what it is, I'll sit there all day and jig panfish that are under 10 inches, and get a flag and catch a 20"+ Chain pickerel and saw " Crap, Only a pickerel"...lol they are the biggest fish I usually catch and to me are more of a hassle than a catch. Where does this mentality come from???

Offline northwestslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • gone and fishin
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2009, 07:58 PM »
Snakes. worthless snakes... I hate em. hook swallowing pieces of crap...Good for nothing...Bass eating... pices of garbage.

Offline perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2009, 08:17 PM »
Geez northwest slayer, tell us how you really feel.  Just kidding, I second your thought.  Ruin alot of good fishing lakes up here in NY.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2009, 08:20 PM »
I like catching them for the purpose of removing them from a lake...was cheered today on the way off the water for taking the 2 that I did..23" and 25" guy said thanks-that oughta save a few trout!! ;D

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2009, 08:31 PM »
hey, c'mon guys, i would give almost anything to catch a pickerel, big or small, so don't waist what you have that someone else doesn't.
besides, they're like pike sized for panfish gear.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2009, 08:40 PM »
no waste-got a buddy that takes them and pickles em up--no waste for us !!

Offline ticken

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2009, 08:51 PM »
Pickerel are hard to clean but get one over 25" and you have some good fish to fry. Plus a good fight.

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2009, 10:04 PM »
I have been fishing for pickeral for 35 years, 5-6 lbs is big,  anything over 7 lbs is a pig and those 9 plus mentioned in an earlier post are monsters!!!!

Offline NYFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing is not only a sport, but a Dedication
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2009, 11:27 PM »
Go to "the grumpy old men shanty" and you'll see how I feel about these garbage fish.  In my eyes no pickerel is a trophy. They are as worthless as teets on a bull.

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:30 AM »
A lot of our main lakes here are to muddy and shallow for trout but they are full of pickerel, they are great to have around here since there are no  fishable popn of largmouth, and no pike or walleye here. Anything over 24" around here is usually considered big, but they are fairly common to catch that size in the summer. Pickerel are actually a fairly valued fish here although they arent formally listed as a sportfish most ppl here think of them that way. Largmouth , which are both non-native here are a bigger threat here to our trout and salmon lakes because of ppl illegally stocking them.  Our DNR states right in the rule book that all largmouth caught in NB should be destroyed. There is one very productive brook trout lake that also had pickerel and smallmouth for years that they are now worreid about now because someone caught a largemouth in one of the tributaries
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline bigfoot697

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2009, 04:25 PM »
yo pete eye doc, new brunswick needs you  ;D.

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2009, 06:42 PM »
Hey I think pickerel are great. I have no good spots around me for trout ,and we don't walleye  or pike , the  best place for bass fishing  is over and hour a way . I cant walk 5 mins. to my dads shore  or drive 5 mins. and catch all the pickerel I want . They fight good, they will  take almost any bait or lure you throw at them . And I have caught them up to 36 inches , the average is mid to high  20's . And  you can get them anytime of the year.
hook and cook

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2009, 06:57 PM »
Dont forget they taste good to
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline NYFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:04 PM »
Garbage fish

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2009, 02:08 AM »
Here is information on Chain Pickerel here in Massachusetts.....whic h does consider Pickerel a sport fish. 

State record: 9 lb 5 oz caught in Laurel Lake in 1954

Any Pickerel over 4 lb 8 oz qualifies for a state sport fishing award.

I caught a Chain Pickerel in Haverhill MA 2 seasons ago that was 5 lb 9 oz.  I did turn in the affidavid to get the pin.   My son thinks it is the coolest thing ever......that we got an "award" for it.  The sport fishing award program in MA is pretty cool.....keeps the kids interested in going after the "big one".

Anyway....if you landed Pickerel over 9 pounds I'd like to see the photos if you care to post them. 

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline NYFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2009, 02:34 AM »
I've caught trout over 9 lbs. A  9lb pickerel isn't a big fish.  Its basically a 9lb. Dink pike only much worse.  My bags of garbage weigh 9 lbs.  I don't care how you look at it.  This is my last post about garbage pickerel.  I'm currently undergoing high uneccessary stress over a fish that has no place in this world.  And I promised my fellow grumpy old shantymen that I wouldn't slip off the wagon again and that I would refrain from bashing pickerel.  I leave u with this.  I now love pickerel and the garbage they are, and i would rather catch no fish all day than catch a pickerel.

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2009, 03:52 AM »
NYfishfinder,

I did not post the information for you.......dollartrifec ta asked for some information on Pickerel and I provided it for him.

Dollartrifecta......th at would have qualified for a sportfishing award in MA......nice fish!
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline NYFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 12, 2009, 04:16 AM »
NYfishfinder,

I did not post the information for you.......dollartrifec ta asked for some information on Pickerel and I provided it for him.

Dollartrifecta......th at would have qualified for a sportfishing award in MA......nice fish!

Ahh sorry.....Im not talkin about the subject anymore...thanks

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2009, 09:52 AM »
I think NYFishFinder  does not like pickerel   to each his own .  I still think there fun to catch .  ;D
hook and cook

Offline NYFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2009, 04:25 PM »
I think NYFishFinder  does not like pickerel   to each his own .  I still think there fun to catch .  ;D

True that to each his own,  I dont hate on people that like to catch them.  Just not my pint of beer..

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2009, 05:18 PM »
Then let me throw some gas on the fire. I like em. I like catching them. Not as much fun as pike, but I like em. And they fry up good.  Perhaps SOME people dont like em cause they never took the time to learn how to filet one? ;)
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline NYFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2009, 06:44 PM »
Hey old fart do you eat garbage? Like do u go through the trash and find a bite to eat?  Keep your fish patties:)

Offline dollartrifecta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2009, 06:49 PM »
Hey jiml, I looked at NY states award program and it would qualify here as well. I may have to print that qualification page out for future reference

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #29 on: Jan 13, 2009, 03:19 AM »
I thought NYFF wasn't talkin about this subject anymore. ::) Picks aren't garbage. TALAPIA is garbage.
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.