Author Topic: day 1.... I quit  (Read 11482 times)

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
Re: day 1.... I quit
« Reply #90 on: Nov 23, 2008, 06:34 PM »
Ok, no posts from Team SOS for a while, so I thought I would jump in.  In about 5 hours I will hit the two week mark.  The first week was easier than the second week.  Work has been easy, since I had to go down the stairs and outside to smoke.  When I get the urge, I just go back to work on something else.  Here at home has been different.  Never smoked in the house, just in the "Man Cave" (garage) and I still spend most of my time out here. 

It's amazing how quickly the sense of smell and taste comes back.  And I can brush my teeth without getting winded! 

How's everyone else doing?  Good, I hope!!

Jeff, Team SOS

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #91 on: Nov 23, 2008, 06:58 PM »
Ok, no posts from Team SOS for a while, so I thought I would jump in.  In about 5 hours I will hit the two week mark.  The first week was easier than the second week.  Work has been easy, since I had to go down the stairs and outside to smoke.  When I get the urge, I just go back to work on something else.  Here at home has been different.  Never smoked in the house, just in the "Man Cave" (garage) and I still spend most of my time out here. 

It's amazing how quickly the sense of smell and taste comes back.  And I can brush my teeth without getting winded! 

Jeff, Team SOS

Good job man. Im gettin pumped for ice!!

Offline icezombie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Nov 23, 2008, 07:29 PM »
Good job man. Im gettin pumped for ice!!

keep it up man, proud of ya. i've been battling it for years

Offline gofish33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gone fishin
« Reply #93 on: Nov 23, 2008, 08:11 PM »
I keep reading this thread because of the sense of community in IS.  Former smokers helping newly former-smokers keep at it.  I may never meet any of you but I have a sense of kinship with all of you.  I stopped 22 years ago .

gofish33

Offline JesseG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Nov 23, 2008, 08:14 PM »
I just read this post for the first time tonight.  Congratulations to all of you. 

One step at a time.

Offline Marcum Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #95 on: Nov 23, 2008, 08:20 PM »

Jeff, Team SOS
Hi, everyone its been a struggle with me as well Jeff. everyone at work smokes and that makes it tough for me, yes, I do separate myself from them, but the awful smell of cig. smoke left on them is almost unbearable... yes you are right about how fast your sense of taste and smell comes back to you. its great... Jeff are you on the pill or the patch? Me I am on the patch, and I'll tell ya that when I dream at night, my dreams are so vivid, usually I dream about ice fishing, or deer hunting, sometimes nightmares but hey its all good.... (the dream about the miniature seals was the best) lol, ok but anyways its great to be on team SOS I am loving my new life as a smoke free sportsman. happy holidays to all of you.... MM

PS. Caddy you out there...

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #96 on: Nov 23, 2008, 08:42 PM »
MM, I'm on the Patch and started back on Welbutrin Friday a week ago.  I had the vivid dreams the last time I tried this, but not this time. 

Good luck, and stay with it!  My motivation this time was being able to pull the sled across the ice and snow this winter.  No four wheeler or snowmobile here.

Jeff

Offline gruntngrin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #97 on: Nov 23, 2008, 09:47 PM »
Keep up the good work guys.I quit 5 years ago after the loss of my father,he was a smoker. After watching him be in the hospital for 3 mths and on a ventilator was about enough for me. Ill never forget when mom called and said we need to get your dad to the hospital at 1 in the morn. I went over to there house to see him struggling to breath at the kitchen table.He didnt want to go to the hospital but wanted another cig. Its a very powerful drug that is very hard to beat. I smoked for 22 years till the passing of my father. Never and I mean Never will that drug take control of me again like it did him.

DennyB

« Reply #98 on: Nov 24, 2008, 11:10 AM »
In the beginning of this thread I mentioned my brother dying of lung cancer.  Saturday I was told by a friend of 36 plus years he has 9 months according to the Docs and yes, its good ol' lung cancer.  Charlie survived being blown out of a APC while in Nam, losing most of his teeth, upper jaw and assorted pieces of his face in the process, only to loose out to cigarettes.  He will be leaving behind a daughter and 3 grandkids, oldest being 7 years old.  If you haven't quit, please, for the sake of your loved ones, do so.  If you are in the process of quitting, don't give up.  You can and you must do it.  I see that patches for this site are available.  Can a patch for Team SOS be made available to quitters?   Since I quit in '72 I qualify and will glady purchase one if they ever become available.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #99 on: Nov 24, 2008, 12:11 PM »
Yeah, I'm here MM but not doin' so good. Fell off the wagon 'bout 2 weeks back. Got some chit goin' on.It's no excuse but it's the best I got. Hopefully in the near future I'll be back on again...Stay tough Bro...
 Hi, everyone its been a struggle with me as well Jeff. everyone at work smokes and that makes it tough for me, yes, I do separate myself from them, but the awful smell of cig. smoke left on them is almost unbearable... yes you are right about how fast your sense of taste and smell comes back to you. its great... Jeff are you on the pill or the patch? Me I am on the patch, and I'll tell ya that when I dream at night, my dreams are so vivid, usually I dream about ice fishing, or deer hunting, sometimes nightmares but hey its all good.... (the dream about the miniature seals was the best) lol, ok but anyways its great to be on team SOS I am loving my new life as a smoke free sportsman. happy holidays to all of you.... MM

PS. Caddy you out there...
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #100 on: Nov 24, 2008, 12:28 PM »
keep it up brothers! i dragged my deer 1/2 mile to my truck, uphill most of the way, and didn't get too winded. my legs turned to jello, but i had my breath! LOL! TEAM S.O.S. ROCKS!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Marcum Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #101 on: Nov 24, 2008, 12:34 PM »
Hey Caddy good to here from you, listen man, falling off the wagon isn't a bad thing, hey I know that chit happens... for now my brother, I will take the reigns and drive this here wagon, when your ready to jump back on, I'll pass 'em back... hey remember man we are only human..... MM

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #102 on: Nov 24, 2008, 12:39 PM »
Keep up the fight guys!
I have been without a cigarrette since '93. It's amazing how much money it gives you to spend on other crap.

Pooley -
I think we need to throw a fund raiser for you so you can buy yourself a quad to drag those deer with!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #103 on: Nov 24, 2008, 04:54 PM »
Hey Caddy good to here from you, listen man, falling off the wagon isn't a bad thing, hey I know that chit happens... for now my brother, I will take the reigns and drive this here wagon, when your ready to jump back on, I'll pass 'em back... hey remember man we are only human..... MM
Thanx buddy,I'll be back...The reigns are yours to keep. WE started this thing and YOU'RE the one still standing...Hi-Ho Silver, Away! ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Marcum Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #104 on: Nov 25, 2008, 05:08 AM »
Good support group here.  I just finished reading every post on this thread and it's motivating me.  I've been thinking about buying a flip-over shanty.  I figure I'm spending $5 a day on dip.  Tomorrow will be the 25th. In one month I will have saved $150.   If I make it, I'll give myself a $75 reward and buy one for Christmas. You know, I used to enjoy it, but now it's just a habit.  It's amazing how something like this can control you.  Time to fight back.  Wish me luck.
DeepcreekIcer you are more than welcome to join us here on team SOS... please join.....MM

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #105 on: Nov 25, 2008, 08:19 AM »
Keep up the fight guys!
I have been without a cigarrette since '93. It's amazing how much money it gives you to spend on other crap.

Pooley -
I think we need to throw a fund raiser for you so you can buy yourself a quad to drag those deer with!

:tipup:
NBG

thanks lobes! i'd love a quad! but there isn't a place to ride them here! >:( not in the woods, and not on the lakes! well, that's life near the big city. :P
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #106 on: Nov 25, 2008, 08:31 AM »
I quit in April after approx 20 years of smoking pack a day.  Relapsed during hunting season, not quite pack a day.  Toady is day 2 w/o smokes.  Tried Chantix in April and had a good result, going cold turkey now.  I quit booze and cocaine when I was 21 and this is waayyyyy harder.  Truth.  Good wishes to anyone else trying to quit.

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #107 on: Nov 25, 2008, 10:42 AM »
I can brush my teeth without getting winded! 

Jeff, Team SOS

hopefully that means we can drag the shanties out a lil further without getting as winded too!

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #108 on: Nov 25, 2008, 10:53 AM »
Good support group here.  I just finished reading every post on this thread and it's motivating me.  I've been thinking about buying a flip-over shanty.  I figure I'm spending $5 a day on dip.  Tomorrow will be the 25th. In one month I will have saved $150.   If I make it, I'll give myself a $75 reward and buy one for Christmas. You know, I used to enjoy it, but now it's just a habit.  It's amazing how something like this can control you.  Time to fight back.  Wish me luck.

Welcome Aboard Team SOS  DeepcreekIcer. Many good people here when you need some support.

After 6 mos of quitting i have no urge to even sneak one or even a drag off the one the wife is having.

Offline ralwag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • PARTY'S ON THE ICE!!!!!
« Reply #109 on: Nov 25, 2008, 11:00 AM »
I have not had a smoke for 2 months. Feels good to quit.  ;D

Ral

Offline John_Boy

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Give me ice or give me death !!!
« Reply #110 on: Nov 25, 2008, 04:05 PM »
Keep up the good work guys , it gets easier as it goes .
                                                                 John

Offline blue98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #111 on: Nov 29, 2008, 10:46 AM »
I'm in,  after 17 years and now seeing my mom suffer from a lifetime of smoking it's my time .Thanks in advance for the encouragement

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #112 on: Nov 29, 2008, 11:26 AM »
I have been off the butts for a few years now. Quitting smoking is very hard. You just need to get by day to day, hour to hour, minute to minute. When that craving is at it's worst, just concentrate on getting through 1 minute. Before you know it, you have gone 10 minutes and the craving has passed. I wish you guys all the strength you can muster.

Mike
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #113 on: Nov 29, 2008, 12:00 PM »
Good luck . I know its rough cause I've got just over 1 1/2 months in, its tough but i feel better already .
hook and cook

Offline quiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Does it really stink in here!
« Reply #114 on: Nov 29, 2008, 09:50 PM »
Yoy guys are all doing a service to yourselfs by quiting its hard but stick to it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.