Author Topic: day 1.... I quit  (Read 11488 times)

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: day 1.... I quit
« Reply #60 on: Nov 07, 2008, 07:22 AM »
Man you got to keep us updated as to how its going. Ive got to know when you go out and get your new gator. Also thank it would help you to be able to say its been another day-week since I quit. Keep it up.
Take a kid fishing,they make great pack mules.
Put the big ones back for another day eat the small ones.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #61 on: Nov 07, 2008, 05:05 PM »
Another thing that works for me is when I get up in the morning I tell myself " I'm not gonna smoke today"
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline gofish33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gone fishin
« Reply #62 on: Nov 07, 2008, 07:09 PM »
So how's Day 5 ?

gofish33

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #63 on: Nov 07, 2008, 09:08 PM »
i'm a proud member of S.O.S. !  and i'm NOT going back to smokes! :flex:
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Farley

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM DUCK TAPE
« Reply #64 on: Nov 07, 2008, 09:44 PM »
I know what it's like tryin  to quit something I quit drinking 3 months ago 8/3 I still get that craveing to stop for a drink after work but i know I cant like they all say "One is too many and a thousand is never enough." 

PS saved enough $$$$ for a down payment for a new truck

Good luck Marcum Man 8)
If it ain't broken, you ain't try'in!

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #65 on: Nov 07, 2008, 10:46 PM »
Good luck on not smoking.  I quit almost 2 years ago after smoking for many years.  I am still amazed at the improvement in my quality of life.  Some things I've noticed since I quit:
    -I can smell things I never noticed before;
    -I can breath better, walk further, etc;
    -I sleep better and more restfully because I can breath better (before I always had sinus congestion
     and the smoker's cough - used to wake up hacking sometimes);
    -the cost savings in not buying cigarettes (and the other nonnecessary items I would buy just because
     I was in the store getting smokes) is more than I thought it would be - I'm talking several thousand     
     after-tax bucks a year - enough to afford to buy an RV;
    -food tastes better; and
    -I don't get those lingering head and chest colds a couple times a year.

In addition, it has improved my fish catching because I truly believe that fish are turned off by the nicotine smell on your hands getting on bait/lures/knots/etc.  This is doubly true for hard water fishing where the nicotine smell likely diffuses into the water around your bait, line and terminal tackle

After you quit for a short while, you will likely be amazed that you had such a horrible habit as smoking.  It was not long before I could tolerate being around smokers without the slightest desire to smoke.

Its probably the best thing you can do for yourself.

Offline Marcum Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Nov 08, 2008, 06:07 AM »
Hi, Everyone thank you for you continued support. The first 5 days has been pretty tough but I managed to get through it, and I am looking foward to the next 5 days of being smoke free. Last night went to a steakhouse and I thought well one beer won't hurt, ya after that one beer all I wanted to do was smoke,  ( BUT I DID NOT ) so I guess I'll have to give up on sweet lady alcohol for awhile. I know that I sound sappy when I say this but you guys are the best bunch of friends a guy could ever want, and I wish I could shake the hand of everyone who has shown me support.... OK so enough for now, I'll keep you posted on my progress, MM

TEAM SOS

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #67 on: Nov 08, 2008, 06:13 AM »
Hi, Everyone thank you for you continued support. The first 5 days has been pretty tough but I managed to get through it, and I am looking forward to the next 5 days of being smoke free. Last night went to a steakhouse and I thought well one beer won't hurt, ya after that one beer all I wanted to do was smoke,  ( BUT I DID NOT ) so I guess I'll have to give up on sweet lady alcohol for awhile. I know that I sound sappy when I say this but you guys are the best bunch of friends a guy could ever want, and I wish I could shake the hand of everyone who has shown me support.... OK so enough for now, I'll keep you posted on my progress, MM

TEAM SOS
Great - keep it up.  It's the habit, not the addiction, you need to break now.  Find something to occupy your thoughts when ever you find yourself craving a smoke.  Those times, both length and frequency, will keep diminishing over the next few weeks.

Offline UserX

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Perca Flavences!
« Reply #68 on: Nov 08, 2008, 08:42 AM »
Best of luck to you. Im sure that you will find the health benefits of not smoking greatly out weigh smoking. Im super sure that with all the support that you will recieve from all of us you will be able to conquer this.

Certified Youth Instructor for Michigan State Univ.,
Certified instructor for Project F.I.S.H..(Friends. Involved. With Sport.Fishing.Heritage .)
Take a kid fishing to keep our legacy around.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #69 on: Nov 08, 2008, 10:21 AM »
Hi, Everyone thank you for you continued support. The first 5 days has been pretty tough but I managed to get through it, and I am looking foward to the next 5 days of being smoke free. Last night went to a steakhouse and I thought well one beer won't hurt, ya after that one beer all I wanted to do was smoke,  ( BUT I DID NOT ) so I guess I'll have to give up on sweet lady alcohol for awhile. I know that I sound sappy when I say this but you guys are the best bunch of friends a guy could ever want, and I wish I could shake the hand of everyone who has shown me support.... OK so enough for now, I'll keep you posted on my progress, MM

TEAM SOS
Hey MM..me again...same deal here, but I've been reluctant to even try a beer for the same reason. I have drank a few of those mint- flavored Mojito drinks ; no where near the temptation. Also, when I feel the urge to smoke I pop a peppermint or cinnamon flavored mint in my mouth. The hot/spicy taste really does help with the urge. I have them at home,work,in the truck;everywhere I go. And you are in Indiana, right? How far from Michigan? Thinking of finding a lake halfway between this winter where we could meet and celebrate with a bubble gum cigar! ;D(and maybe a little fishin') Keep up the good work...we'll make it. Caddyshack... Team S.O.S. Member

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #70 on: Nov 08, 2008, 10:28 AM »
Well today is my first day quitting smoking, after 25 yrs. of doing it, I went on the patch and I am going to  break this addiction. Wife says if I quit for one year, I can buy a new gun or and ice gator... wish me luck.......MM

glad to hear your taking the right steps toward keeping your health on the better end.......good luck and have fun with that new ice gator.......I haven't got one will always stick with the faithful JIFFY........

Offline fishfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Nov 08, 2008, 11:20 AM »
It's been 6 years for me, no urge for a smoke at all anymore. Keep up the good work.

Offline Marcum Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Nov 08, 2008, 11:20 AM »
Hey MM..me again...same deal here, but I've been reluctant to even try a beer for the same reason. I have drank a few of those mint- flavored Mojito drinks ; no where near the temptation. Also, when I feel the urge to smoke I pop a peppermint or cinnamon flavored mint in my mouth. The hot/spicy taste really does help with the urge. I have them at home,work,in the truck;everywhere I go. And you are in Indiana, right? How far from Michigan? Thinking of finding a lake halfway between this winter where we could meet and celebrate with a bubble gum cigar! ;D(and maybe a little fishin') Keep up the good work...we'll make it. Caddyshack... Team S.O.S. Member
I am 1/2 hour south of South Bend, or 80 minutes from Lunkers a 1/2 way meet would be great.....MM  

TEAM SOS for life

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #73 on: Nov 08, 2008, 11:43 AM »
I am 1/2 hour south of South Bend, or 80 minutes from Lunkers a 1/2 way meet would be great.....MM  

TEAM SOS for life
I'm 1/2 hour north of Kalamazoo,about an hour from Lunker's I'd guess... O.K. let's do some "research" and find a good lake within about 1/2 hr. radius from Lunkers? North Indy/ South Mich? Any Ideas? How about any other S.O.S. members...whatcha' got out there?

Offline Marcum Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Nov 09, 2008, 05:13 AM »
Caddyshack isn't there a lake right in Edwardsburg maybe we could meet up there... MM

SOS

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #75 on: Nov 09, 2008, 07:39 AM »
Caddyshack isn't there a lake right in Edwardsburg maybe we could meet up there... MM

SOS
There is one called Pleasant Lake that looks to be right in town. Is that the one ? No nothing about it, do you? Worth a shot I guess. Anybody else know anything about it? Input ....S.O.S.

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #76 on: Nov 09, 2008, 07:51 AM »
Isn't Diamond lake just north of there , i hear it's a pretty decent lake if you can unlock its mystery. somewhere near the island is sposed to be good but never tried it myself

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #77 on: Nov 12, 2008, 04:36 PM »
Well, my first day off the Chantix and all is well. Think I'm gonna make it. How's everyone else doin'? 3 more days and I'm up in my stand.Good luck with the rest you hunters....S.O.S

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #78 on: Nov 12, 2008, 05:40 PM »
Today is my first day on the full dose of chantix and I was hoping to go cold turkey but I caved.  I have had six today but considering I was a two-three pack a day guy for the last twenty years, I consider it a big step forward.  It isn't easy but the chantix does help with the cravings.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline limitingout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Nov 12, 2008, 05:54 PM »
There is one called Pleasant Lake that looks to be right in town. Is that the one ? No nothing about it, do you? Worth a shot I guess. Anybody else know anything about it? Input ....S.O.S.
Drive by pleasent the one your talking of everyday never much action would much rather fish diamond.looking for some fishing partners mines not very reliable.pisses me off.

Offline limitingout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Nov 12, 2008, 06:04 PM »
get with me team caddyshack maybe we can meet up on the ice i fish alot of cass and van burencounty lakes.

Offline limitingout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Nov 12, 2008, 06:06 PM »
you to marcum man guys bear with me please new to the forum thanks.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #82 on: Nov 12, 2008, 07:00 PM »
I put my last one out when I went to bed at midnight Monday morning.  Got up and slapped on a "patch" and have made it almost three days now.  Cravings aren't as bad as I remembered the last time I tried this, almost 5 years ago.  I'll be calling my Dr. tomorrow to check into the meds.  Haven't seen him in 4.5 years either, so I know what i'm in for. 

Anyway, things were REALLY rough at work this afternoon, but I made it.  I think I have the right mindset this time.  Wish me luck!

Jeff

BTW, I have smoked for 35 of my 50 years of life.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #83 on: Nov 12, 2008, 07:10 PM »
way to go guys! keep off them!!!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Icecracka46

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My favorite fishing partner
« Reply #84 on: Nov 12, 2008, 07:31 PM »
I smoked 2 packs a day and up to 4 on the weekends for years.My wife got pregnant and i threw a brand new pack out and never did it again.It took years for the urge to go away.
Good luck! Just tell yourself No!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #85 on: Nov 12, 2008, 07:47 PM »
Put down my last one on Aug.25 (brothers b'day) and my 90 days will be Nov. 25 (wifes b'day).Over the years I had tried the patch twice,gum once and Zyban (did'nt agree with me :P) But the Chantix did the trick, cravings are still there but are few and slight. Hang in there fellas,we'll beat this demon. Diamond Lake sounds good to me for a TEAM S.O.S. outing. Also doing the smelt thing on Feb. 28 on Gull Lake. Hey Markum Man..you still there?...Talk to me...Later

Offline fishydog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Nov 12, 2008, 10:26 PM »
I quit last year in Feb.  Used Chantix for four weeks and it was really easy compared to the other times I tried to quit.  It really helped with the cravings.  When it came to my quit day it wasn't a big deal, I no longer felt like I needed a smoke.  The cravings since have been manageable and infrequent.  I've had other friends use Chantix and some quit, some didn't.  I just got plain sick of smoking, of feeling like something else was controlling me, and wasting all that money.  I also got stick of my stepsons asking my wife if I was going to die soon everytime I coughed.  Now I rarely get sick in the winter where before I'd be coughing and hacking all winter.  I don't get winded dragging the shack around anymore either.  And food really does taste better.  You guys keep at it and find your motivation to stick with it.  It isn't always easy but it's definitely been worth it.

Offline Marcum Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Nov 13, 2008, 02:58 AM »
Put down my last one on Aug.25 (brothers b'day) and my 90 days will be Nov. 25 (wifes b'day).Over the years I had tried the patch twice,gum once and Zyban (did'nt agree with me :P) But the Chantix did the trick, cravings are still there but are few and slight. Hang in there fellas,we'll beat this demon. Diamond Lake sounds good to me for a TEAM S.O.S. outing. Also doing the smelt thing on Feb. 28 on Gull Lake. Hey Markum Man..you still there?...Talk to me...Later
hey caddy I am still here, havent got on in a couple of days, been real busy with the kids. I am all up for a team SOS outing, can't hardly wait... SkeeterJeff welcome to TEAM SOS, glad you could come aboard... life for me has been better since I haven't been smoking.. funny thing is when I used to smoke, all I heard from my family was grief about it, but now that I have quit, I hear nothing, not your doing great, good job, nothing. Its really nice to have TEAM SOS, where all of the members can get continued support from our brothers in arms.  MM

Offline John_Boy

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Give me ice or give me death !!!
« Reply #88 on: Nov 13, 2008, 04:10 PM »
Congrats  !!! to all of you that have stopped . I stopped a little over 2 years ago after 35 yrs of it .
Like it was told to me,  when your ready to quit you will and no one can make you . It has to be your decision to do it . It's not easy but you won't regret it . Stopping was the best thing i ever did for myself.
Don't let the suffering you did yesterday  go in vain by smoking one today . You can do it I have faith in you . Good Job guys !!!
                                                                                                  John

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #89 on: Nov 14, 2008, 07:45 AM »
look at this!
Reuters
Posted: 4:50 am
November 14, 2008

The number of American adults who smoke has dropped below 20 percent for the first time on record, health officials said yesterday.

In 2007, 19.8 percent of adults - 43.4 million people - were smokers. That was a percentage point below 2006 and followed three years of little progress, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a report.

Smoking and secondhand smoke still kill 443,000 people annually from cancer, lung disease, heart disease and other causes, the CDC said. Half of all long-term smokers die prematurely.

"Even though we've come a long way, there's a long way to go," said Dr. Matthew McKenna, director of the CDC's Office on Smoking and Health.

Health officials began systematically tracking smoking rates in the 1960s. When Surgeon General Luther Terry issued a landmark report on health hazards of smoking in 1964, 42 percent of US adults were smokers. His revelations triggered a long, gradual decline.

Thomas Glynn of the American Cancer Society said the rate was now probably the lowest since just after World War I, when soldiers picked up the habit thanks to cigarettes that were part of their rations.

"We've begun to come full circle on this," Glynn said.
 ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.